• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pimp my Demon!

Sandain

Explorer
Hi all,

My greyhawk campaign ended and the youngest member of the party (24, were all 30+) asked to DM. He is a munchkin power gamer but we all agreed.

Surprisingly we are having a blast, and although its Monty haul he is throwing some uniquely scary homebrew monsters at us and has a really well planned and thought out world and story arc.

Now, I have not actually played a character for quite awhile and decided to roll up a rogue/barbarian desert warrior guy. My plan was for him to become a Dervish and be a high mobility fighter using a Falchion.

During the campaign we all underwent a ritual that realeased an elemental force within us and we basically become Demons. Because I was part barbarian I became a Fury Elemental and a native to the Elemental plane of fury.

I took levels in Psi Warrior and really have no clue as to the direction I am heading with my character.

My levels are Rogue 2/Barbarian 4/Psi Warrior 4

Feats are Weapon Focus, Power Attack, Mental Leap, Speed of Thought, Spirited Charge, Imp Crit (Falchion)

My character started as human but now is large size , with wings, talons, hooves, horns, resistances, breath weapon. The DM said basically a Bloodthirster Demon from Warhammer 40k

A house rule is that a 4th level barbarian gets Raging Critical, which gives you an extra multiplier on your weapon while you are raging. We are playing 3rd Edition since those are the only books we have. he also ruled that I can use Spirited Charge when flying since I am large size and can take feats such as flyby attack, wingover, and hover.

Stats (modified) are

Str 24
Dex 18
Con 22
Int 12
Wis 10
Chr 10

Basically I would like ideas from everyone about playing such a munchkin, what feats are good, what psi attack and defense modes and talents are effective, and some level progresion ideas up to level 20.

Also does anyone know where Lions Charge is in third edition?

Thankyou for reading this any any comments you may have.

Edit: He is happy for us to change a few class levels and feats since we had to make all these changes in a hurry when we aquired the munchkin template.

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Psionic attacks are completely useless in 3.0 as for defense take the cheapest one possible.
Hustle is Psi War1 - extra partial action. Its not as good as lions charge (as you give up an action for it) actually its uselss. Buy boots of speed.

Spells you need- Biofeedback is key (7pts of subdual damage from each attack?). Animal Affinity (2nd), Painful touch if you are making claw attacks(2nd) lesser psionic weapon(1st) if you can use it on claws .. ? talons(0) may help
Most psiwar powers are not much use. Feats: Speed of Thought is good. Deep impact is good once a day. Psi weapon is meaningless except as prerequeist.

I avoided Psiwarrior in 3.0 good luck. We used telepaths, and nomads.

the 3.5 psionics rules are better in everyway.
they are avaliable at www.d20SRD.com for free - and there is a post stickied to the top in rules forum that gives other SRD sites. Or just buy the XPH it is worth it.

axp_dave

First Post
This may be the coolest thread title ever! I played a Psi Warrior in 3.0 and I thought it was a little unbalanced as it was pretty powerful. 3.5 fixed some of the balance issues, but that is not your worries.

I can't remember the Psi Warrior powers names, but there were quite a few that were instantaneous or free actions. I used all my power points taking extra partial actions, giving bonuses to saves, and other "buff" tactics whenever the need arose. Focus on the Psi Warrior powers that free actions or instantaneous actions, an extra attack per round at your best TAB makes a big difference.

Again, total props on your choice in thread titles!

David

LostSoul

Adventurer
First, I'm assuming you're playing 3.0 all around.

Deep Impact. That's a nice feat.

If you're planning on going with Psi Warrior, make sure you get Polymorph at 10th level (16th character level).

Persistent power is nice.

If you can get your strength up high enough (via polymorph usually), and you have Trigger power (Animal Affinity), you can use it all the time for a constant +5 bonus to all your attributes. Note that this bonus stacks with enhancement bonuses, like Bull's Strength or Gauntlets of Ogre Power. You need a +14 bonus on Str checks, or a 38 Strength. You can do this by first using Polymorph and turn into a Fire Giant, gaining 31 Str. If you have a +4 Str item, you'll have 35. If someone hits you with a Bull's Strength, you'll have 32-36. Add Animal Affinity on top of that, and you can hit 40 (with the Belt of Giant Str +4) to 41 (with a 5 on the Bull's Strength roll.)

Then you use Trigger Power for each stat, and just keep using it until you get +5 in each ability score.

Having a huge Strength score is nice with Biofeedback. So are Claws of the Vampire (you'd heal double, basically, since biofeedback turns a lot of damage into subdual).

Expansion is pretty good.

That's your high-level power.

Hmm... in the old Mind's Eye articles on the Wizards site, they had a power that gave you +2d6 Sneak Attack. With your Rogue levels, you might want that. It's a 2nd level power.

Valor is an awesome 0-level power (talent). You get +1 to all your saves, basically.

Oh yeah, Skate is a 1st-level Psi Warrior power. Even though it's not on the list, in the description of the spell you'll see it.

Sandain

Explorer
Thanks everyone!

I am not sure what trigger Power is, and how animal affiny can give me +5 to all stats. Can you please treat me as a total newbie and run me through it step by step please?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Sure. (This is 3.0, not 3.5, by the way.)

Trigger Power allows you to manifest a single power (you pick the power it applies to at the time you get Trigger Power - so, in this case, it's Trigger Power: Animal Affinity) without paying the Power Point cost. If you can make an ability check. The ability check is based on the key ability of the power you are trying to manifest (Str for Animal Affinity) and the DC is based on the level of the power (15 for 2nd level powers).

When you have a massive Str (38), you get a +14 to all Str checks. Because you can't fail the Trigger Power check, you can use Animal Affinity all day long without paying any power points. You use Animal Affinity on each of your stats and roll 1d4+1 each time. Just keep doing it until you roll 5 for each stat.

Voila! +5 bonus to each stat. (It's actually not a bonus; it changes the base score, so it does stack with enhancement bonuses.)

Trigger power does have some high pre-requisites, however. I forget exactly what; I think it's Talented and Inner Strength.

Sandain

Explorer
I have been doing alot of research ad have found 2 Prc's that would fit nicely. The first is Frenzied Berserker since I am technically a Fury Elemental not a Demon, and i already have barbarian levels and play the character who adventures because of alove of conflict.

Is there an easy way to guarantee i wont kill party memmbers though when I frenzy?

The other is the psychic Weaponmaster from the Wotc Minds Eye column. I was tossing up between normal weaponmaster and psychic warrior initially as I use a Falchion, Keen, and Improved crit anyway.

Psychic Weaponmaster would be a nice Prc, but I like the idea of playing a Frenzied Bohemoth and being a truly nasty melee combatant.

Any comments?

Jack Simth

First Post
Yeah; deliberately crimp one of your saves, and make sure that the party casters load up on spells based on that save which will halt you in your tracks for the duration.

Remove ads