• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pint Sized Sword and Sorcery

Fieari

Explorer
"And a mighty wind came forth, and blew back the shadow and the clouds and prosperity rained down upon us all! This is a gift! A grand gift and one needs MUST give thanks, lest benevolence become MALevolence! I have seen it before! I have seen it in the stars, in the stones, in the lots, in the entrails, in the cards, and in the hearts of men! Your arrogance shall be thine own downfall! Fall down! Give up your pride! Know who is responcible as you grow well in the world!" he goes on, noticing the child more or less as much as the croud paid mind to the preacher-- barely at all.

From this closer vantage, you can see he has a silver key on a silver loop hanging from his belt. Not an inn room key... this one has to go to someplace a little bit richer than that.

Lichtenhart

First Post
"Ok, what do we do now? We kick him? Throw rocks and smelling fish at him? You tell me and I do."
Mary looks at the others, especially Garreth, having noticed he's quick at coming out with ideas.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Garreth shrugs, and turns to face towards Mary, still while standing directly in front of the oblivious preacher.

"I don't think so. We need answers right now. Besides, I don't think this is the actual guy who Ed met. Unfortunately, he seems to be ignoring me. It's a common failing among old people. However, sometimes it can be useful. For example, we could just follow this guy around and find out where the rest of the priests are."

He turns back to listen to the sermon for a little bit more.

Fieari

Explorer
The preacher seemed to have no lack of wind. Did his throat never tire? He kept it up for a considerable amount of time... often repeating the same themes over again, but rarely repeating the exact same words. It was obvious he needed to repeat, of course, since he hadn't exactly had a croud gathered around him. He was calling towards people walking by, not exhorting a captive audience.

After a while, however, he seemed to notice that not everyone was ignoring him. He did have an audience, one who was listening to what he was saying.

He lowered his voice from the croud calling volume to something a little more personable. "Hello there young one. Have you further interest in the will of the Navan?"

Seonaid

Explorer
Mick saunters along behind Garreth, taking in the priest's rhetoric. He stops and stares at the man.

"Hello there young one. Have you further interest in the will of the Navan?"

"Yes!" Mick says excitedly. He then looks around the circle of kids before blushing and trying to fade back a bit.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Garreth jumps slightly as the priest suddenly notices him, and again when Mick pipes up from behind him, but quickly composes himself.

"Something like that, yes."

He nods a little bit and glances encourangingly back at Mick.

"We were wondering a little bit about you and the other ones. Seems to me like you keep saying as how the Forest wants to help us, 'cause they're a nice old bunch of trees or some such. So, if the "Will of the Navan" or whatever is out to help people, and all you in the green robes work for it, does that mean that you guys are here to help? I mean, if there was someone out trying to snatch little kids and take 'em and take their stuff, that'd be something that you're supposed to be against, right? 'Cause the forest wouldn't wanna go around hurtin' kids that ain't done anything to hurt it, now would it?"

Seonaid

Explorer
Mick is confused by Garreth's speech, but is willing to go along for the time being. The forest doesn't hurt or help people, he thinks to himself. 'cept of course maybe it'll fix the sickness. Wonder what he's tryin' to say to the priest guy.

Fieari

Explorer
hafrogman said:
"We were wondering a little bit about you and the other ones. Seems to me like you keep saying as how the Forest wants to help us, 'cause they're a nice old bunch of trees or some such. So, if the "Will of the Navan" or whatever is out to help people, and all you in the green robes work for it, does that mean that you guys are here to help? I mean, if there was someone out trying to snatch little kids and take 'em and take their stuff, that'd be something that you're supposed to be against, right? 'Cause the forest wouldn't wanna go around hurtin' kids that ain't done anything to hurt it, now would it?"

"Ah... I think that would be a bit of a simplification. The Forest is both Powerful and Mysterious. But it is not SAFE. It is not candy dish you can freely take from. It is to be reveered and respected. The Forest can bring forth wonderful things, great things... but that is not all it can bring forth.

And who can say what is hurtful to a forest? The Teachers may know. If you wish to learn, I will ask your parents if they will allow you to study at the Great Temple. It is my duty to make people aware of the forest... aware of it's blessings yes, but also of it's danger. The time is comming when people can no longer turn their backs in fear. Fear is good, it can bring caution. But when you run from the fear... terrible things can happen."

A lot of big words, quite a bit of eloquence... but not a lot of directly answering your question. Of course, it wasn't really a fair question either. He has no idea where your question is springing from, not having direct knowledge of events previous today... for all he knows, you're wondering why a sibling took ill, or a toy was lost during a move, or something like that. Children are quick to blame what they only partially understand, after all.

He seemed a kindly enough man, when he wasn't shouting out nonsence to an unresponcive croud.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Garreth nods sagely as if his questions had been answered. In a way they had. If this man knew anything of Ed's earlier troubles, he was doing a good job of hiding it. Perhaps there were good Navan priests and bad Navan priests, just like there were of any other people. He abandons his tack and picks up on the most useful piece of information the priest had given. He perks up as if very interested.

"The Great Temple? I haven't heard of anything like that here in town? It's somewhere else, right? Do you guys have another temple here as well? I might wanna hear a bit more, only I have stuff to do today, so is there someplace that I can find some priests here in Samis?"

Fieari

Explorer
"There is no temple in this city... the Great Temple is on the border of the Navan itself, on this side of the River, next to the Merchant's Bridge. There are a few Teachers in the city, however. Stop by the House of Leve, which is on Thoroughspair Lane."

The preacher looked up at the sky, to note the time.

"I need to be going. Do stop by though, and bring your parents."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads