• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pirate/Seafairing Campaign - Players Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeping Dragon

First Post
Bront said:
Sleeping Dragon, remember that magic bonuses from Arrows and Bows don't stack, only special abilities, so you might be better off simply going with a cool magic bow. But I guess having a few utility arrows wouldn't hurt.

That's the idea - various types of bane arrows, a handful of flaming and holy arrows, and possibly a slaying arrow or two to go with my +1 composite longbow of distance. Rather like the idea of Dim sitting up in a sniper's nest, peering through a spyglass at the commander of another ship, taking aim with an arrow of slaying humans, and hitting from some ungodly distance (thanks to my distance longbow and the Far Shot feat, I'm looking at a 330' range on my shots.)

Sleeping Dragon

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
SD, its sort of cool to see someone come up with a usefulness for Bane Arrows... :)

Bane arrows are great. [Rat Bastard DM mode]They're especially great to give NPCs. Your bog-standard human warrior 2 or 3 won't be able to afford a magic bow, but they might be able to afford 2 or 3 +1 *insert predominant PC race*bane arrows. Not to mention that if they get used, there's about a 75% chance they'll get broken, meaning the PCs get far less loot afterward...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :] [/Rat Bastard DM mode]

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Bront and/or Phoenix... Would this ship have any good reason to ferry passenger? (Like on a long voyage to the “new world” or what not…?)

Just curious...

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Sleeping Dragon said:
[Rat Bastard DM mode]

Rat Bastard DMs aside as a player they are not all that good... You spend along time looking for the moment to use on, to make sure you get exactly what you want out of it and also to make sure it ‘counts” only to find out you should have used it sometime ago…

Of course Humanoid arrows are far more useful than some of the others...

A king need not have high saves to rule.

Bront

The man with the probe
Brother Shatterstone said:
Bront and/or Phoenix... Would this ship have any good reason to ferry passenger? (Like on a long voyage to the “new world” or what not…?)

Just curious...
Well, an odd idea about the race, perhaps it's actualy a bet between a nobleman and a navy man, and the nobleman has hired us pirates to try to beat the naval ship. And of course, we'd end up having a "passenger" to supervise.

I don't see why we couldn't carry a passanger if need be as well for other reasons, but depends on the nature of the race. Why, did you have a concept?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Bront said:
IWhy, did you have a concept?

Maybe... But I didn't see mention about any sort of race between ships the first time through the thread so probably not.

I thought about playing a royal princess, not sure why she is on the boat... Maybe she's being married off to finish some sort of treaty. Anyhow, she's the snobby type and not really happy to be on the ship. ;)

It was just a stray idea… I’m not even sure what class to use for her…. :\

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Pheonix, I was sorta planing on taking Leadership. Should we assume that both captains will be required to take this freat to fill in skeleton screw members and such? Should we not worry about it and you'll simply grant us the extra crew members? Or, it is up to us? (Leadership is a tricky feat in general, and even worse in PbP, so just want to ask).

Leadership would definately be a handy feat to have to encourage loyalty on the ship. Paid sailors are more likely to Mutanize (?) once the cash starts rolling in...

Phoenix

First Post
Sleeping Dragon said:
A few questions re: magic items;

1) I know we've only got magic items from the DMG, but can we possibly boost them up slightly? Specifically, I'm looking at the eyes of the eagle - they grant a +5 bonus on Spot checks. Can I get an updated version that gives +10, using the item creation guidelines to boost up their cost? Should be 10000 gp by my calculations.

2) We have a maximum of 4 permanent magic items - can we add new abilities onto items to effectively create one item with the powers of two (with the 50% increase in cost for each additional power)? Looking at a +2 cloak of charisma and resistance, specifically.

3) I'm looking to make Dim an archer, and so I'm wondering about magical arrows. Can I count these as my 4 scrolls, since Dim will have no way of using scrolls anyway? And just to be sure - I assume 4 scrolls and 6 potions means 4 scrolls and 6 potions, rather than 4 and 6 types (ex. 12 potions of cure light wounds = 1 potion.) Might be a bit difficult to swing with an archer, but I can live with it if that's what you're looking to run.

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No, the scrolls entry was in there solely to placate the casters. 4 scrolls really are quite few when it comes down to it. One magic item slot can fit 50 arrows though, so buying, say 50 seperately enchanted arrows wouldn't be frowed upon.

Plus people, when posting your character concepts, list clearly your Profession on the ship. After all a Marshal is hardly going to be a Rower...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads