Piratecat Comics & MnM presents six issues of Code-4: Reunion (updated 4/06)

Aravis

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Drat, no update yet, now what am I supposed to do here at work to get my morning going on the right foot? Work? Inconceivable!

Do you guys actually believe PC when he claims an update is coming? ;)

I suppose I can now expect the Reformer to die at our next session.... :uhoh:

- Aravis

mofos21

First Post
Aravis said:
Do you guys actually believe PC when he claims an update is coming? ;)

First I'm told there's no such thing as the Easter Bunny, then I'm told there's no such thing as Sandy Claws. Now you're telling me there's no such thing as an update when PC says there will be one? What's left for a kid like me to believe in?

At least there's still the Great Pumpkin . . . :)

Lela

First Post
mofos21 said:
First I'm told there's no such thing as the Easter Bunny, then I'm told there's no such thing as Sandy Claws. Now you're telling me there's no such thing as an update when PC says there will be one? What's left for a kid like me to believe in?

Monte Cook?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
AGONY'S GAMBIT: Issue 1, Chapter 13

Kason Chemical Plant
Hanover, Freedom City

Nine Lives twisted in the narrow air duct. Razor-sharp claws slashed down into the -- What is that?, he wondered -- creature attacking his feet. They passed through it without causing any obvious damage, and came out sizzling and hissing from weak acid.

The luminous green fluid forced more of its bulk into the airshaft, trying to encase Nine Lives’s legs in living acid. The superhero leapt agilely up the duct. He sensed noxious fumes going to work on his nervous system, doing their best to dissolve his lung tissue in the process. He also sensed his body adapting to treat the poisonous fumes as normal air, and he took a deep and refreshing breath of poison. “I’m fighting one of the things that entered the TV studio with Agony. We’ve hit paydirt. Call the others, and get down here.”

Eyes fully adapted to the darkness, Nine Lives spotted a tiny nucleus of hardened chemical in the middle of his foe. He took aim and thrust his claws directly into the creature. Acid burnt away his skin, but the claws impaled the nucleus and the shape of the acid creature dissolved away with a tiny shriek. The dripping acid made a pleasant sound reminiscent of rain as the skin on Nine Lives’s hands regrew.

Up in the basement, the Omnibot and the Reformer signaled the rest of the team and considered their options. “There’s no obvious way down into a sub-basement,” reported the Omnibot. “We’ll have to do it the hard way.” One of its massive legs smashed down into the hardened concrete floor, but a distressingly small chunk of material chipped out. “They’re at least twenty feet down. This is going to take all day.”

“It doesn’t have to,” said the Reformer. He bent down on one knee and touched the cold cement. He concentrated. He could feel layer upon layer of concrete. “You see, it doesn’t really want to be concrete. It wants to be. . .” He considered for a few seconds. “Corrugated cardboard!” Light poured from the Reformer’s hands, and the entire floor twisted.

“That I can rip through!” crowed the Omnibot, and three of its five metal legs began to tear up huge chunks of cardboard. They began to tunnel, soon fifteen feet down and moving quickly.

“Be careful,” cautioned the Reformer. “I don’t know how well this cardboard can support our. . .”

The cardboard under their feet suddenly gave way. The Reformer looked down. With horror, he realized that they were falling thirty feet down into a huge, bubbling vat of green acid directly beneath them.

-- o --

Jordan International Airport
Southside, Freedom City

The Eternal Sentinel’s eyes narrowed as the radio call came through. “Let’s go, team. They’ve found Agony’s base.”

Wave did a loop on her surfboard. “Excellent! Let’s fly.”

Boulder look at her implacably. “Oh, yeah? I ain’t gonna win. You’ll have to give me a ride.” He indicated his stony bulk, and Wave made a face.

“Boulder, flying with you is like surfing with an anchor.”

The Eternal Sentinel stepped forward. “No, Wave, you’re not quite fast enough. We need to get there now. I can get myself there quickly enough, but Boulder’s a little bit more of a problem. Let’s see. . .” Standing close to the other two heroes, he extended a nimbus of shimmering light. The light surrounded them and encased them.

“Hey!” said Boulder. “I feel like I’m getting lighter!” He looked at the Sentinel accusingly. “You didn’t used to be able to do this.”

“Old dogs and new tricks, my friend.” The Eternal Sentinel grasped each of them by a forearm. “Let’s go.” They disappeared in a flash of blinding light, and the airport employees still staring at Wave reeled backwards with spots in front of their eyes.

-- o --

On a street in Riverside, a small child pointed up to the sky. “Look, Mommy! A shooting star!”

“No, Billy,” the woman said. A small smile played across her lips. “That’s the Eternal Sentinel. That’s a hero.”

-- o --

Omnibot and the Reformer tumbled towards the enormous vat of acid. All five of the Omnibot’s arms snapped into its body and created a perfect sphere. “Splashdown,” it thought. “I hope the metal alloy is strong enough to resist the acid. I’d hate to have to create another one of these.”

The Reformer only had a second to react. He concentrated on the acid-filled crucible beneath him, and out of nowhere an enormous steel plate appeared to cover the vat.

The Omnibot hit first with an enormous clang, bouncing off the steel barrier and rolling to the floor. It left a huge dent behind. The Reformer hit just afterwards. Bruised and slightly out of breath, he tumbled off the conjured barrier and dropped to the floor fifteen feet below.

“That was close,” he said, and rubbed the bruise on his shoulder. He looked around. “Where are we?” He turned to see a high-tech chemical lab with glass cauldrons full of roiling greenish fluid. “Agony must be around here some—” Behind him, something lifted the steel plate off the vat and smashed it down on top of Omnibot and Reformer with bone-crushing force.

“What was that?” asked the Omnibot. It extended its legs and tried to get to its feet, but the steel plate pinned it in place. The Reformer dismissed the barrier into thin air and they both looked up.

Standing above them was a fifteen foot tall monstrosity of living green chemical. The stink was incredible. “Chemos!” it burbled, and brought two huge fists of hardened acid down onto the heroes.

Please flip page to continue.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Henry said:
Ya TEASE! You have the advance proofs! :) Us poor joes are stuck 'til the issue hits the stands. :(

That analogy isn't quite right. I know what happens in only the broadest sense; it's not as if Kevin isn't bringing something new to the equation in the telling.

So really it's more like I was there for this issue's planning session, but I haven't seen so much as a single panel of the final product yet.

Remove ads