D&D 5E Planar Binding

The enterprising binder brings along a buddy who knows hold monster. True it doesn't work on undead, but it does work on outsiders (there is even a warlock invocation that references it). Conveniently a 5th level spell, too. Holds the outsider, while the binder casts magic circle. Binding follows. Oh, I see the problem. In your white room scenario, the wizard is alone. I am pretty sure there are no shortage of cautionary tales about solo wizards trying to bind demons. Real friends don't let friends bind solo.

Getting Hold Monster to last for ten rounds is pretty tough. Wall of Force would be a better bet if you want to capture demons in the wild.

Wizard 1: Wall of Force.
Wizard 2: Begins casting Magic Circle.

Then either wizard can cast Planar Binding.

I had considered this, but do you really think the target is gonna fail its save to shrug off Hold Monster every round for the spell's entire duration? As you said, Hold Monster is a 5th level spell, so even a warlock, being able to spend all their slots as 5th level, only gets 2 tries. Maybe substitute Hypnotic Pattern for Hold Monster, as it only allows 1 chance to save?

Or you could just beat the demons unconscious with nonlethal damage. :)

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
HOW DID NONE OF US THINK OF THAT!
Once again, Hemlock is super clever. Let's just weaken them before casting pokeball on them. (inb4 Shin Megami Tensei comment)

I see it working best when paired with Planar Ally. Which summons forth an Outsider that can be bribed into helping you out but is not in any obligation to help you.

Pretty much I see it working like this. Create Inverted magic Circle. Summon something like a Demon into the circle using planar ally. Use Planar Binding to force it into service.

You can also use gate to summon it into the circle and bind it.

CapnZapp

Legend
Oh, I see the problem. In your white room scenario, the wizard is alone. I am pretty sure there are no shortage of cautionary tales about solo wizards trying to bind demons. Real friends don't let friends bind solo.
So, you're seriously not seeing this as a major black mark on the spell?

A spell that requires a costly component consumed by the casting? Painful.
A spell that requires Concentration? Ouch.
A spell that requires you to bring along somebody else? That's pretty much unprecedented - no other spell requires this.

So, even if you do get it to work, I still gotta grade the spell an "F".

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Glyph of warding fixes the "it takes too long to cast" issue. You just need to spend a bit more coin.

Have a celestial or fiendish familiar.

Get a bag of holding.

Have a friend who can cast banishment

Climb in the bag, have your familiar pick up the bag.

Have the friend banish the familiar. (4th level slot and a friend)

Climb out of the bag.

Cast glyph of warding with an inverted magic circle in it (2 3rd level slots)

Bait a native inhabitant into the circle

Bind the target (5th level slot)

Banish yourself home (4th level slot)

So... 2 3rd level slots, 2 4th level slots and a 5th level slot, plus an uncommon magic item can get you a celestial or fiendish henchmen of variable power level for 24 hours. And you can of course keep rebinding them each day until you run out of cash.

Or there's http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/old-black-magic ,which lets you get certain demons trapped in a magic circle for extended periods of time.

MonkeyWrench

Explorer
I really like Planar Binding in 5e. The fact that it's not a one-stop-shop for summoning means that binding powerful creatures is now a group activity - an adventure. As an exercise, how many spells are needed to summon and bind a genie?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The enterprising binder brings along a buddy who knows hold monster. True it doesn't work on undead, but it does work on outsiders (there is even a warlock invocation that references it). Conveniently a 5th level spell, too. Holds the outsider, while the binder casts magic circle. Binding follows. Oh, I see the problem. In your white room scenario, the wizard is alone. I am pretty sure there are no shortage of cautionary tales about solo wizards trying to bind demons. Real friends don't let friends bind solo.
Mind if I use part of that in my sig?

As far as I can tell, Planar Binding (1 hour casting time) can't be used in conjunction with any of the Conjure X spells (Concentration, up to 1 hour duration). The Planar Binding's casting would complete an instant after the conjured creature disappeared, it's duration having expired. It's pretty pathetic really.

Getting Hold Monster to last for ten rounds is pretty tough. Wall of Force would be a better bet if you want to capture demons in the wild.

Wizard 1: Wall of Force.
Wizard 2: Begins casting Magic Circle.

Then either wizard can cast Planar Binding.

Or you could just beat the demons unconscious with nonlethal damage. :)

Both good points.

Remove ads