• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Planescape, Bigby, Phandelver and the Deck of Many Things: Covers & Details Revealed!

See the covers of all the upcoming releases!

The covers of the upcoming D&D books — including Planescape, Glory of the Giants, and the Deck of Many Things have been revealed.

• August 15th -- Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants ($59.95)
  • August 15th -- The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons ($39.95)
  • September 19th -- Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk ($59.95)
  • October 16th -- Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse ($TBA)
  • November 14th -- Book of Many Things ($TBA)

IMG_9191.jpeg

bigby.jpeg

Coming August 15th with two variants. Lore about giants, 76 stat blocks, feats, and a giant subclass.

IMG_9192.jpeg

3 hardcovers in a boxed set-- 96 page guide to Sigil, 64-page bestiary, and 96-page adventure, along with a poster map and DM screen. Coming October 16th.

IMG_9193.jpeg

224-page adventure for levels 1-12, poster map, 16 new monsters. Coming September 19th.

IMG_9194.jpeg

66 illustrated cards, 192-page book with lore, character options, magic items, and monsters, 80-page card reference guide, all in a slipcase. Coming November 14th.​

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah, and I have pulled in a lot of details from elsewhere, mainly from older editions though. Thinking I might send my players to Sigil when they escape Thunder Rift in our silly game sessions.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
5e has always been the DIY edition, especially with the advent of the DMs Guild. WotC is only in the business of putting out the bare essentials, and then they expect the fans to fill in the gaps via the DMs Guild and the like.
Not always as the few good settings show. They've given in depth settings with Theros, Eberron and the Mercer setting.

hive-ward-scene-art-by-vicki-pangestu-1684380000492.jpg

Art (of the Hive in Sigil?) from the IGN article ...which oddly showed up on Google search but not the article itself.

Bit of a silly modern interpretation (yeti with ice cream cones, fiend with soft pretzel, glowing signage), but nice diversity of creatures.

I think the artist is Vicki Pangestu.
Hope this is not official. This feels more Shadowrun and cyberpunk (a weirdly joyful one at that) than the gothic, grimy and industrial view I have of Sigil.

Edit: And the blades on buildings look out of place. Like a checklist the artist had to follow but couldn't integrate well. Who would though? The baldes are supposed to be another instance of the cruelness and uncaring Sigil's ethos... while this picture feels joyful and happy.

Last edited:

The picture of the cover is fabulous but wrong. Sigil is a toroid, not a ring.

I imagine the "infintite stair" like a mixture of "backgrooms" and the "ilusory maze" from Jim Henson's "Labyrinth".

1685515308019.png

Planescape also should recover the "sects", and the Gatetowns.

I miss the quasi and paraelemental planes.

If 5E had got monster templates then the vivacious creatures could be very useful as summoned allies for arcane spellcaster who need a healer effect.

* Any good idea to be got from Planebreaker setting?

pukunui

Legend
Not always as the few good settings show. They've given in depth settings with Theros, Eberron and the Mercer setting.
Even those don’t cover the settings in all that much detail.

The Eberron book, for instance, has a ton of info on how to create your own adventures. The gazetteer section is actually fairly light on detail. (I’m struggling with some of the lack of detail right now, although I understand that much of it is by design to encourage DMs to make the setting their own. Keith Baker’s DMsGuild books have helped a lot but even they don’t cover everything.)

Theros is super light on setting detail. I’m not sure why you’re including that one here.

The Wildemount book is the closest 5e has come to a 3e-style setting book packed with detail, but the thing is, WotC didn’t even write that one. They just edited and published it.

Even those don’t cover the settings in all that much detail.

The Eberron book, for instance, has a ton of info on how to create your own adventures. The gazetteer section is actually fairly light on detail. (I’m struggling with some of the lack of detail right now, although I understand that much of it is by design to encourage DMs to make the setting their own. Keith Baker’s DMsGuild books have helped a lot but even they don’t cover everything.)

Theros is super light on setting detail. I’m not sure why you’re including that one here.

The Wildemount book is the closest 5e has come to a 3e-style setting book packed with detail, but the thing is, WotC didn’t even write that one. They just edited and published it.
I think the days of 2e and 3e settings books are long gone.
The writing for one is much larger (understandably and in some cases appreciated), the descriptions are more concise and much is left for the DM to flesh out. The basic concept of the setting still exists and the highlights and tourist attractions are displayed but actual finer details are removed. For many young players who have no emotional connection to these settings, their needs are satisfied. There is more than enough for them to work with, since they don't know what was available or what was the standard back then for a decent setting book. For the older generation, that lived and breathed those settings, the books remain but glossy echoes of a rich past, like fingerprints on an abandoned handrail.

I hope new elements to D&D cosmology to be added, for example the plane of the mirrors, not only a place where you face your evil twin.

The module is about a "glitch" in the reality. I suspect this could be the origin of the glitchling specie, and the backdoor to explain "alien" elements within the D&D multiverse.

Maybe somebody publishes in DMGuild a new layer of the Infinite Stair based in the mythology of the backrooms.

* How would be a third echo plane added to the Feywild and the Shadowfell, the spirit kingdom?

* Let's imagine a toroid-shape demiplane mixing Ravnica and Sigil, but with lots of zones for farming.

* Any new about the plane of the dreams? Maybe somebody after playing "Psiconauts 2" and watching "Inception" could get some idea.

Remove ads

Remove ads