• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Planescape] Squaring the Circle Redux - OOC (Full)

I think I'm going to bow out of this game; looks fun, but I want to run something myself and don't want to split up my time too much. Thanks for the offer though, and good luck to my alt!

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Wow, Isida, that was fast! I barely had time to read Librarian's post, much less call for alternates... :lol: Okay, you're in! (I'll look over your character a little later and make comments; in the meantime, go ahead and post her over at the RG). :)

Sorry to hear you can't make it, The Other Librarian, but I can definitely understand the desire not to spread yourself too thin. (I see some of the other posters in this forum and I think they're insane! :p Uh, not naming any names, of course....) Anyways, good luck with your next project! :)

And now... to work my way through the backlog of posts....

Last edited:

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Okay, let's see who's up first....

Serpenteye said:
I was actually thinking about making my character a Ghost, even before I read 'Lion's posts. An elven Ghost Rogue or Sorcerer, or maybe a Bard... I think it would make an excellent support-character.
Okay, a major point. I know I said I wasn't going to allow any PCs with a greater than +4 LA and the ghost template has a +5 LA.... but I was going to let Lion have a ghostly cohort so it would be rather unfair of me to bar you from this. :eek: That said, I would be happier if you created a ghost character using Ghostwalk instead of the MM template. :heh: But! If you don't have Ghostwalk, I would be willing to make this one exception to the +4 or lower LA rule. I do have a few strings attached though if you choose the MM template... firstly, please don't make your Con a dump stat! And secondly, that your ghostly character needs to find a 'haunt'-- something or someone that keeps them tied to existence and prevents them from moving on (Lion's ghostly cohort's haunt was assumed to be Vlad). In this case, it would probably another party member or an item in the possession of another party member (though if you have other ideas, I'm willing to hear 'em). This would serve as your home-- it's where you reform in 2d4 days if you are destroyed (provided you pass your level check against DC 16). The flip side is you go wherever your home goes.... :]

So... anyone wanna adopt an elven ghost? :p

Would the Ghost's Etherealness ability work outside of the Prime? Would it be able to reach the Ethereal from any plane?
Nope. Effectively, on the Outer Planes, you're manifested (i.e., incorporeal) all the time since there is no Ethereal (this would be true for all ghosts, not just you). To be ethereal, you have to be on a plane that is coexistent (overlaps) with it. To reach the Ethereal from the Outer Planes, you need to find a portal or use a spell, just like anyone else.

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Next!

Thanee said:
Given my preferance for (spontaneous) spellcasters, since there is already quite a bit of interest on the arcane side, I'll probably go for a Favored Soul then (a human (how mundane ;)) from Toril, with Shaundakul as the deity).
Favored soul... that's a variant core class from Miniatures' Handbook, right? Ok, no prob. Uh, it looks like you don't get domain powers, right?

Would it be possible to un-nerf Righteous Might (to some degree)?

I'd just make it exactly like the size change for monsters (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 natural armor, -1 to hit/AC) and use the lowered Damage Reduction from the errata (3/6/9 instead of 5/10/15).
Yes, that's very reasonable. I had always thought the original was a little too buff, but I also think the errata'd version is a little too weak so this hits the right balance for me. I'll probably adopt this for my house rules... :)

I have included a few custom items (altered slot and a shirt that adds +1 luck bonus to AC). Hope those are ok with you. :)
They look fine. Could you put in the prices of the magic items in though, please (quicker for me when I review your character)? If it's a created item, put in the price to create and XP cost instead. Thanks!

Thanee

First Post
Sephiroth no Miko said:
Favored soul... that's a variant core class from Miniatures' Handbook, right? Ok, no prob. Uh, it looks like you don't get domain powers, right?

It's in MiniHB and Complete Divine. Has no Domains and no Turn Undead (no Divine Might *sniff* ;)) and spells one level later (like Sorcerer), but spontaneous casting, good Reflex save, and gains a few bonus feats/special abilities (Weapon Proficiency (1st), Weapon Focus (3rd), Weapon Specialization (12th), all with deity's favored weapon, and the Resistances to Energy). The Energy Resistance is 10 points. Otherwise it's pretty much a cleric.

Yes, that's very reasonable. I had always thought the original was a little too buff, but I also think the errata'd version is a little too weak so this hits the right balance for me. I'll probably adopt this for my house rules... :)

Great! :) Yep, I'm pretty sure this will end up there for our group, too.

They look fine. Could you put in the prices of the magic items in though, please (quicker for me when I review your character)? If it's a created item, put in the price to create and XP cost instead. Thanks!

Sure.

Bye
Thanee

Serpenteye

First Post
Sephiroth no Miko said:
Okay, a major point. I know I said I wasn't going to allow any PCs with a greater than +4 LA and the ghost template has a +5 LA.... but I was going to let Lion have a ghostly cohort so it would be rather unfair of me to bar you from this. :eek: That said, I would be happier if you created a ghost character using Ghostwalk instead of the MM template. :heh: But! If you don't have Ghostwalk, I would be willing to make this one exception to the +4 or lower LA rule. I do have a few strings attached though if you choose the MM template...

Thanks. I don't have Ghostwalk, sorry.

Sephiroth no Miko said:
firstly, please don't make your Con a dump stat!

But Strength is ok ;). It is a Sorcerer after all.

Sephiroth no Miko said:
And secondly, that your ghostly character needs to find a 'haunt'-- something or someone that keeps them tied to existence and prevents them from moving on (Lion's ghostly cohort's haunt was assumed to be Vlad). In this case, it would probably another party member or an item in the possession of another party member (though if you have other ideas, I'm willing to hear 'em). This would serve as your home-- it's where you reform in 2d4 days if you are destroyed (provided you pass your level check against DC 16). The flip side is you go wherever your home goes.... :]

So it couldn't just be a refusal to surrender himself to the after-life? A deep fear of death born from the fear of ending up in one of the more unpleasant hells due to all the sins he committed in his life-time? Or maybe a principled refusal to surrender himself at all, to whatever deity, angel or fiend would await him, a complete resolve to keep the control over his own existance?
I'm envisioning him as an old (venerable) man (human would work better than Elf), who has lived a long life in devotion to himself (maybe a Sensate, maybe an Athar), who when faced with his own unaviodable death refused and forced himself to carry on.

Sephiroth no Miko said:
Nope. Effectively, on the Outer Planes, you're manifested (i.e., incorporeal) all the time since there is no Ethereal (this would be true for all ghosts, not just you). To be ethereal, you have to be on a plane that is coexistent (overlaps) with it. To reach the Ethereal from the Outer Planes, you need to find a portal or use a spell, just like anyone else.

I thought so.

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
Thanks, Thanee.

Okay, here's my comments for Zoe Windwalker:

--Hit points should be 104, not 100 (you get max for 1st and 2nd)
--Will save should be +11 (8 base + 3 wis = 11), +17 with Superior Resistance
--I am not using material from BoED so you'll have to find another spell to replace Eyes of the Avoral
--No matter how many times I do my math, I'm getting 87,850 gp total for your magic gear, which forces me to conclude that number is indeed correct. Not that that in itself is a problem, but it does mean you can't have 400 gp worth of diamond dust since that would put you over 88,000 gp.
--Please make a note somewhere that her speed is 20 ft. (when in armor).
--And it might not be a bad idea to make another note somewhere that she casts magic vestment, greater magic weapon, and superior resistance every morning (?) with her bead of karma. (At least that's what I deduced from the bonuses.)

Otherwise, it all looks good. Looking forward to seeing her history and stuff! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads