Play-by-post/online play: Experiences?

Azgulor

Adventurer
Seeten said:
I'd rather chew my arm into a stump than do pbp. I do chat based gaming on irc.psionics.net #dnd3e, enworld's official chatroom, though, and thats fun.

So, does play-by-chat tend to have better success at longevity than play-by-post? I can see where it would keep things flowing more like an in-person session.

Azgulor

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I've been in a number of PbPs. I have run 5 in total, 4 are still going. 1 failed due to player attrition and lack of posting. Of the four that are going, 2 are solo games. Of the 2 that are not solo games, I have had anywhere between 2-4 consistant players but have been able to keep the game going and only re-recruiting once. Those 2 PbPs started August '05 are are still going strong.

If you'd like to see them, I lift them up (and especially my players) as good quality examples. Go to the Playing the Game Forum and look for the Clutches of Evil thread or the Mightier than the Sword thread. If you want an example of the solo game that I am running, look for Into the Moral Darkness or The Sudden Approach of Unexplainable Power. I only ask that you do not post in the actual game thread. If you want to ask questions, you may post in the corresponding OOC threads in the Talking the Talk forum.

As for PbPs ... I like the slower pace. My player's characters are much more developed in the PbPs than they ever are in a FtF game I have been in ... but that is because the games take a long time to play. To do a PbP game you have to be committed to it, but I think the game itself is usually a more rich environment if the DM wants to focus on world building. [This isn't meant as a slam against FtF games, just that you can think alot before actually posting in a PbP game.]

I enjoy them thoroughly, but I am also a patient storyteller type. If that describes you, then you might enjoy it, too.

If you are interested in doing a solo game, do some research on whether PbP looks like it would interest you and drop me a line (if you do research on me and like my DMing style, of course). I can squeeze in another solo game if you'd be interested in that type of thing. But definately do some research first, paying close attention to posting dates (to get an idea of the speed of PbP gaming). Also, I would recommend finding a few games and reading a page somewhere in the middle of the thread (not the beginning). That'll give you an idea of the varying different DM styles. The great thing about PbP is that there's no right way to do it. Just find a DM style that works for you and you're good to go.

roguerouge

First Post
Awesome or the game ends

Typically, there's no middle ground. I've had one dm quit for a lame reason and another for a not so lame reason. But if it goes on, boy, can it be good.

The advantage is that you can REALLY role play in these settings. Ever thought up the perfect taunt too late? Or wanted to really think through your response to a moral dilemma, but couldn't? This is the format for you. I played an INT 6 Paladin as The Tick in this format, and, let me tell you, I could never do the Tickisms in real life but it was amazingly fun to write them.

Perhaps the best thing would be to do a single module or adventure, not a 1-20 campaign, which never comes off.

Raloc

First Post
Thanee said:
Yeah, that is a problem with PbP games, that you need to find a GM, committed enough to keep the game going, and players who are willing to participate regularily as well.

Bye
Thanee
That's true of any D&D game.

Azgulor said:
So, does play-by-chat tend to have better success at longevity than play-by-post? I can see where it would keep things flowing more like an in-person session.

Azgulor

I'd say yes. I've done my own campaign in ORPG for over 2 years now, and it started after another that had gone for 4 years concluded(I played in). But as with all D&D, people actually have to want to show up and play.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
roguerouge said:
Perhaps the best thing would be to do a single module or adventure, not a 1-20 campaign, which never comes off.

Very good advice! First of all, a 1-20 game would probably be measured in decades of posting ... [No, I'm not kidding]

One of my PbPs is averaging a level every 8 months or so. The other is averaging getting ready to level within the week ... and it'll be 17 months. [This group especially likes to RP, though]

Trench

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
Very good advice! First of all, a 1-20 game would probably be measured in decades of posting ... [No, I'm not kidding]

I'm in Whizbang's group (which is awesome by the way... check out the story hour, especially the next adventure he's finally archving which really sets the tone...) and we've basically hit level three after one year. However, the sheer ammount of character development and role-playing is so high quality, none of us care.

Makes that build I have in mind a long haul though.

rossik

Explorer
:heh: but do u guys play with atributes and dice roll?

like in programs or things like that...sorry, i have little clue o how to do this..

Hussar

Legend
I really recommend OpenRPG+ if you want to go the virtual tabletop route, which might suit your group better. It's much, much faster than play by post and, IMHO, pretty much as good as playing in person. Follow the link in my sig for my own OpenRPG game and you can see transcripts.

Trench

First Post
rossik said:
:heh: but do u guys play with atributes and dice roll?

like in programs or things like that...sorry, i have little clue o how to do this..

Attributes, stats, etc, yes. Dice rolls are done all by the DM. We ust react to whatever info he or she gives us.

Remove ads