Play experiences: Warden...

Larrin

Entropic Good
I'm not a very defender minded person, I started a campaing with a paladin, and didn't like it much....the campaign got a reboot and i switched to a dwarven warden. It was much more fun then i expected. Almost unkillable, very disruptive to enemies, medium-low damage. I've seen builds for wardens that do great damage, but they take real intention to do so. You can make a pretty fun warden build without too much effort. My suggestions:

Earthgrasp strike: knock prone (2 rounds if you're earthstrength) really locks the enemy down
Mountain hammer: (best if earth strength) huge penalty to attack, stacking with marking, for me it was -7 to hit for them until the end of my next turn.

Don't take a level 5 daily: take another lvl 1 form. I never used them and eventually retrained and was never sorry.

form of stone sentinel: 1 surgless healing, 1 healing surge, regen in between. This is how i survived 5 rounds inside a Behir and was unbloodied when he finally realized it would take another 5 round to digest me and spat me out.

there are other obvious choices, (sudden roots, winter's herald) but these were ones i discovered on my own and found very useful.

Thatwackyned

First Post
I took mark of warding from Eberron to get a -3 to marks, and it's great. I run in mark everything and punish those that attack my friends. Form of the Winter Harold is just great fun too. I like to think I'm a Hulk/Ice Man guy. I went Goliath for the extra DR.

Sanzuo

First Post
Exactly what the Warden in the group I'm DMing for is doing. Not only can he shrug off effects like mad, but he also has something crazy like 125 hitpoints at level 11! Contrast to the same-level Assassin who has 62...

5917542871512366.gif

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wardens don't HAVE to do low damage.

Crippling Crush, along with feats and items that increase damage while in Guardian form, really make up the damage gap quickly.

And their many powers that create difficult terrain, deny shifting, slow, and other such effects, along with the Sudden Roots feat, all increase the "stickiness" of their marks greatly.

I think they are a great class. Perhaps my favorite of 4e.

garyh

First Post
Anyone have any advice on a reach warden? The idea of a longtooth shifter wildblood warden with a greatspear is appealing.

The one warden guide on the CharOp boards...

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

...mentioned reach wardens, but doesn't go into detail. I see how Warden's Fury would be great with a reach weapon, but I want to learn more.

CubeKnight

First Post
Anyone have any advice on a reach warden? The idea of a longtooth shifter wildblood warden with a greatspear is appealing.

The one warden guide on the CharOp boards...

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

...mentioned reach wardens, but doesn't go into detail. I see how Warden's Fury would be great with a reach weapon, but I want to learn more.
Pretty much just grab polearm momentum, Swift Spear (slide one on OAs with spears), Rushing Cleats, SWP:Greatspear, and go to town. Form Of Winter's Herald = They can't shift. If they move, you slide them 2 adjacent to you, and knock them prone. Oh, and they're slowed too if you took Sudden Roots. That new feat for +1 AC/Ref with two handed polearms helps as well.

Edit: For kicks, go Dragonborn for Draconic Arrogance and slam those who dare try and get away from you to the floor

Last edited:

tmkelsh

First Post
I know the comments weren't for me, but they really helped me in decide if I had the correct choice for my character
Large Goliath 10'4
Barbarian multiclass Warden

Remove ads