Play Nice

Kallikrates

First Post
I agree! Even though I haven't been black-listed. I know nothing about D&D or maybe just call me a novice. I will state that initially none of my characters were based on D&D rules. But I have adapted most of them...the living ones that is. I do have three exceptions though...as they started off non-humanoid. Barrak, Pyrrhus, and Kallikrates. More like sentients or maybe the celestial creatures...why am I rambling...
But to the point, there are some I did not have fun RPing with. They seemed to ignore me maybe or maybe they were too involved with the situations they were in. I hate to complain but it is a nuisance to log on and just sit in a room with about 5 or 6 others and not be noticed, it could also be that I do not want to interrupt a progressing story. But that's just my opinion.

Venisad

First Post
I don't think I have anything substantial to add to this topic, maybe I do.. Perhaps I have begun to notice alot of people black listing Shasf as a person not to interact with, I'm not certain if it is happening or if it is. I think it is though, maybe its because of the way it talks walks, or in general because its to alien for people to cope with or they outright just want to ignore it like it was a past fancy, I have noticed it.

I find it sickening myself, I have tried at least with the character to involve others with eye contact from him, maybe a passing phrase of two. They made no acknowledgement of it. One could say this puts people off from the site as probably stated in a previous post. I guess I must be a little inconstant, but there have been only a handful of characters that have interacted with this character. Maybe the characters players have more than one character and outright do their best to not involve their others with It, I don't know, but people should be courteous enough to at least give partial acknowledgement to any character.

I am sorry if I haven't myself

Imreis

First Post
That can be understood easily. A character type who is quite or odd may not get attention as fast or sometimes to fast :) but i guess thats not the point either. Im just really really sick and tired of all this childish play games. For poeple to acutally treat other people like this. I mean yeah, im guilty myself of rolling my eyes when someone does a judo-flip stomp attack that instantly breaks all your bones or a insto-spell caster who doesnt even have to wiggle a finger or break eye contact to cast a spell but i still play with it. i have a bit of fun with them, even make a few jokes at the player freindly like to try and hint for them to slow down but never have i just decided to ignore them. I guess i like to try and atleast give someoen the benifit of the doubt here. please people, dont discredit someone because of observations made, try and understand that perhaps....just maybe if you acutally talked to the player as a person you may find things very different then the usual and even find a new freind out there.

Honestly, i could give two hoots about anyone out there 'blacklisting' me becuase you dont like me. its no skin off my back and ill find my own way to enjoy myself, why?, because to be clearly honest, your not the only people in the world and ive made many freinds as is on this site. but i post all this not because i care about how they feel about me but because i know its happening to many other players out there, because i can only guess of how many younger or inexperienced players are blatently being ignored or outcasted because of what? because they perhaps cant spell correctly or have bad grammer? its just not right in my eyes and i wont stand for it with out atlest getting my three cents out there. (yes three, because its worth more then two)

I guess all i can say here is that any of you out there that are part of a group of freinds doing this to other players, or if your even doing it on your own; this needs to stop and soon. your not only ruining anything for yourself but your not givening anyone a chance to even prove themselves to your higher standards. just for one day i dare each and everyone of you to pick just one person off your list and RP with them, see how it goes and just perhaps you may chance your mind on them.

Last edited:

Bhryn

First Post
Venisad said:
I don't think I have anything substantial to add to this topic, maybe I do.. Perhaps I have begun to notice alot of people black listing Shasf as a person not to interact with, I'm not certain if it is happening or if it is. I think it is though, maybe its because of the way it talks walks, or in general because its to alien for people to cope with or they outright just want to ignore it like it was a past fancy, I have noticed it.

I find it sickening myself, I have tried at least with the character to involve others with eye contact from him, maybe a passing phrase of two. They made no acknowledgement of it. One could say this puts people off from the site as probably stated in a previous post. I guess I must be a little inconstant, but there have been only a handful of characters that have interacted with this character. Maybe the characters players have more than one character and outright do their best to not involve their others with It, I don't know, but people should be courteous enough to at least give partial acknowledgement to any character.

Not so much that, I know people wouldn't automatically want to trundle across to someone spouting 'Flesh bags' at them. -I- wouldn't. And can you imagine a celestial doing that!?

Okay, so admittedly, she's been a little wrapped up in her own world for storyline events recently, but still... flesh bags doesn't quite say "Come hither, meow" to me XD

I've probably been blacklisted before and probably will be again for playing a 'non typical' celestial. Oh well, your loss, sucks to be you (etc etc). And I don't think I have ever blacklisted anyone in my life.

Tharivious'll back me up on this, off site I've had minor clashes with other players over OOC issues but they're behind me (and them) and we all just get along but that does not colour my IC perspective on things.

Can I ask a random question then, of those who started this thread.

Do you find that it tends to be someone who knows all characters that another player is playing and tends, therefore, to blacklist them all, or is it a single character?

If it's just a single character, it could simply be their own observations on that character or their own personal preferences OOC or IC that colours it black.

If not, then it's a little more difficult to say "Just a one off" and let it go at that. Sounds a little more like grudges against people...

(Yes, I am Ramble Queen, I know... sorry!) :p

MistyThorin

First Post
Kallikrates said:
...But to the point, there are some I did not have fun RPing with. They seemed to ignore me maybe or maybe they were too involved with the situations they were in. I hate to complain but it is a nuisance to log on and just sit in a room with about 5 or 6 others and not be noticed, it could also be that I do not want to interrupt a progressing story. But that's just my opinion.

Speaking for myself, sometimes that -is- the problem, though, that other players have limited time and so are busy enough with the situations they're in that they pretty much don't pay attention to other people in the tavern. I know when I'm deeply involved in a conversation, I'm not likely to do more than give a wave and smile if I see someone else I know... and that goes for real life as well as ISRP.

Also, and again speaking for myself, there have been plenty of times that I've got more than one character in at the same time, for various stories. Hard enough for me-the-player to keep up with two different conversations like that, it's a guarantee that neither character is going to be paying much attention to anything but their conversational partners. And before you ask why I do this, if it's so difficult... it goes back to other players with limited time. I'm already in chat with one, then someone I've been trying to coordinate with for a couple of weeks comes in. (The problem could be work schedules, time zone differences, whatever.) Rather than rudely interrupt my initial conversation, I'll simply bring in the second person and play both screens. It's also possible that a particular storyline calls for more than one character of mine to be present for whatever reason. Either way, I know I'm not the only person playing multiple characters at the same time... I've seen the occasional window-mixup from others, where JohnSmith replies to the question someone asked DaveJones. (My personal worst, a wedding that I had 4 characters in for, including the bride... and her mother spoke part of the vows when I mixed up my windows, lol!)

Anyway, I know it stinks when you have someone in and everyone is busy and ignoring you. It's happened to me before, too. But at the same time, I wanted to point out some of the possible reasons why... that it's not always something personal.

Xanto

First Post
Hmmm, I agree with Misty on this one... well, also others too, lol. But in the end, I think people are tending to take this way too personally. "Omg, someone over there is ignoring me! They must hate me or something!" Surely they are just busy with their own character and don't really have time to have an idly conversation with someone random they have never met. And if they are igorning you for whatever reason then why does it matter? They probably aren't worth it in the first place to even RP with if they act that way. There are other people you can interact with and have great storylines to grow and enjoy. Not that I am agreeing with people ignoring others but what else can you do really? If you're there to have fun then simply try and do that with someone who is willing instead of trying to ignore you.
Yes, there are some characters that are ignored because of how they act around the others like Shasf for example (Not to pick on you) but calling someone a flesh-bag and saying what a stupid flesh-bag you are... might not be the best way to go around creating friends, like Bhryn said. *Waves!*
And for those that are bringing on new characters, don't be so disappointed when someone doesn't automatically take to you... you're new to everyone and we all know that it takes time to warm up to someone, in the real life and out of the real life. Since there are actual players playing the characters, it's really not that hard to understand the fact that it takes getting used to someone until you can continually RP with them and like their character. So just relax and try to have fun and if someone is ignoring you then... get over them and move to another. Don't take it personal because there are probably a number of reasons that they can't at that time. Try again later if you want to! Lol.
Anyways... Yep I'm done.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Venisad said:
Perhaps I have begun to notice alot of people black listing Shasf as a person not to interact with, I'm not certain if it is happening or if it is. I think it is though, maybe its because of the way it talks walks, or in general because its to alien for people to cope with or they outright just want to ignore it like it was a past fancy, I have noticed it.

It's likely not personal. As Misty pointed out - there are a lot of circumstances. Myself, if a room is busy, I won't necessarily see everything that's directed at my character. Especially if the font is dark - I use the default background, and there are plenty of fonts in use that I have to highlight to even read. Plus, I multi-task real life chores with my rp time. So, I miss stuff.
For Shasf in particular, I've seen him all alone in the Cage a lot, I never go to the Cage (I support the idea of it whole heartedly, but, it's just not my taste - for those who like it, Yay! I'm glad it's up. :) ).
And, as Bhryn pointed out, some people just aren't going to talk to people who call them 'flesh bags.'
It's hard to get characters in the swing of things - a lot of people don't talk to ones they've never met. This is true in RL and for our characters. That's why I have a lot of performer characters - songs are a great way to break the ice and get a conversation going. Heck, I've got one char who gets spoken to when she's the only other person in the tavern, but, if others are present, she barely gets a wave. (and this for a character I've been told is one of the "sweetest I've seen") Meh. It happens, people get busy, and the sweet quiet ones who don't push are going to get ignored.

As for the whole original point of the thread - Blacklisting, and telling others to Blacklist? Oi. People, play with who you want to play with. If your characters' (or even players') personalities clash, or a certain playing style makes you too irrate to have fun, then, certainly, back off. But, to create a list, and spread that around? *sigh* It's not what we're here for. We're here to have fun.

Bhryn

First Post
*waves back*

You know, come to think of it, these kind of 'threads' tend to repeat themselves every few months. I wonder why? Why can't everyone just get along... *sighs and pouts*

Xanto

First Post
Bhryn said:
*waves back*

You know, come to think of it, these kind of 'threads' tend to repeat themselves every few months. I wonder why? Why can't everyone just get along... *sighs and pouts*
'

We should all get along...!! *Clings to Bhryn* Like Bhryn and I do... :D

Misc User

First Post
this thread started out as a plea to end black listing. now it has become a thread aboyt groups of black listers and they are trading names of others to black list. this is how rumors start. I'd rather not see it get as bad as black market black listers otting the overthrow of ISRP by staging a sit-in in the tavern. 100's of people sitting in the tavern, not talking.
so lets no add anything further to this in the way of expanding this person who black listed one man. there may be others, there may not be, so far all that's happened is this one person has become a group, and now a group influencing others. let's not make it a cult or a black listing religion.

Remove ads