D&D 5E Player Races in Upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters

Xohar17

Explorer
Kenku are popular enough honestly, they should have been published first and Aarakocra left to the sidelines. They're a second tier race

Yep, except for Dark Sun I don't think they are a "core" race in any other setting, that aside, I'm looking forward to Kenku more than goblins, Kobolds or orcs.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I am the sort of player who prefers to play Humans. I think Dwarfs, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Elves, and Humans should be the core races.

I dislike that Dragonborn and Tieflings are in the PHB, even with the caveat that they are 'uncommon' and thus may not be available in all settings.

All that said, I like Kenku. Besides Goblin, they're the monster race I would most like to see. Certainly the best of the anthropomorphic animals. I can see crows being human-like more than other animals.

SailorNash

Explorer
Some of these more exotic ones sound fun, but honestly, I'd rather the "main" races be done first and in that order. We have humans and elves and dwarves? Good. We have orcs, halflings, and gnomes? Okay. We don't have kobolds, goblins, gnolls, or lizardfolk? Probably should do those next...anything more rare or specialized could probably wait. (Or be statted up as needed as a homebrew for the one campaign where someone wants to play a bullywug or whatever.)

gyor

Legend
Some of these more exotic ones sound fun, but honestly, I'd rather the "main" races be done first and in that order. We have humans and elves and dwarves? Good. We have orcs, halflings, and gnomes? Okay. We don't have kobolds, goblins, gnolls, or lizardfolk? Probably should do those next...anything more rare or specialized could probably wait. (Or be statted up as needed as a homebrew for the one campaign where someone wants to play a bullywug or whatever.)

I figure most of the more exotic stuff would be in the quick section, with the more core ones in the detailed section.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, Kobolds were called out in the Evans podcast as getting stats; given the context, they suggested that "tons" of monsters are given PC stats in case you need them, so unclear if Kobolds get full PC writeup treatment, or are part of the table of quick rules.

gyor

Legend
I wonder what they really mean by quick rules table, because I have a hard time picturing races encapulated in a regular table.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder what they really mean by quick rules table, because I have a hard time picturing races encapulated in a regular table.

Seems fairly straightforward, see the NPC Race features table in the DMG, page 282. It gives the details for 25 races, from the PHB and MM, giving the ability mods and features to add to the NPC Templette. So, if Gnolls are on the table, all it would need is the ability mods and a reference to the MM stats (or a monster stat block from Chapter One, maybe) for the racial traits: no details on Gnollish names or culture, just bare numbers for somebody to use in a tabular format. You can really already do that for Gnolls from that DMG table, frankly, so I think it is a solid model of what we can expect (much longer, maybe, but probably not more info; notably, the NPC PHB races have different NPC mods, so who knows).

Remove ads