Player's Guide to the Wilderlands

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Is it worth a look for an old school gamer?

Yep, I use it pretty much exclusively. But if you're DMing it, you'll want the box set.

I'll assume you've read the reviews. If not, then go here, Player's Guide Reviews

and here. Box Set reviews

The Player's Guide itself is really just an overview, with gods, classes, timeline, geographical overview etc. It's a companion piece to the box set, which is where the meat of the setting is. Namely in the form of maps, places, and things to encounter. (And I mean LOTS of maps, places and things to encounter.)

A lot of the stuff in the PG are things I tend to make up myself, so a lot of the history etc goes mostly ignored. (I always draw up a history that supports whatever game I'm running at the moment...sometimes it's an aspect of the Judge's timeline, sometimes not.)

Hope this helps. Check out the reviews, then if you have any questions, fire away. I'm always up for talking Wilderlands...but those reviewers have pretty much said it better than I could.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
They did a good job of updating the original material, but I still really have to wonder if the whole thing wasn't simply generated via random tables. Many of the locations are just whacked out.

Treebore

First Post
trancejeremy said:
They did a good job of updating the original material, but I still really have to wonder if the whole thing wasn't simply generated via random tables. Many of the locations are just whacked out.

???

I can't tell if your talking about the original or the NEcro version. :lol:

Actually, the Necro version is much more coherent and fleshed out than the original, and the humor elements are even better. Plus the maps are way better. Layout is much better. Organized much better. Just way better all around.

S'mon

Legend
I think it's really really good; and actually you could run a campaign just off the PG if you wished.

For both PG and boxed set I recommend changing the scale back to Bob Bledsaw's original Leagues rather than miles; you'll find it makes a lot more sense; eg the City State of the Invincible Overlord will actually have a (just about) credible amount of farmland to support it.

S'mon

Legend
I ordered the boxed set weeks ago; sadly no sign of it. Our local post office steals packages frequently so I may never see it, *sigh*

I think the Player's Guide is extremely well done. I ran a few campaigns with just the PG before the Boxed set was released, so there is enough there to get you going if you like to have a lot of room to do your own thing. The Boxed Set certainly fills in a lot, but still leaves plenty of room for the DM to put their stamp on the setting.

-M

Michael_R_Proteau said:
I think the Player's Guide is extremely well done. I ran a few campaigns with just the PG before the Boxed set was released, so there is enough there to get you going if you like to have a lot of room to do your own thing. The Boxed Set certainly fills in a lot, but still leaves plenty of room for the DM to put their stamp on the setting.

Basically, what Michael has said. :)

One of the best products in the recent years. However, I would warmly recommend to get *City State of the Invincible Overlord* as well. This city sourcebook is something like the core of the Wilderlands setting, and msot additional stuff is used best in connection with it.

You might also want to check out the free PDFs on WL:

http://www.judgesguild.com/downloads.html

That is oldschool gaming goodness like you can find it nowhere else. :)

Remove ads