Player's Guide to the Wilderlands

MonsterMash

First Post
I really like it, and I've reviewed the Player's Guide, Wilderlands Boxed set and the City State of the Invincible Overlord here so check out those for more detail.

root.tar

First Post
Thanks so far. What kind of information is provided to each area or city?

Are there also information about the look of each city? Important NPCs? Are the informations enough to get a good visual idea of the landscape?

Or is it more a clinical description.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
You only get basic stats and a short paragraph of description for most towns and settlements...you're left to flesh most of it out.

For example, this is an actual entry from the Lenap Chapter of the Box Set (released free on the Judges download page here: http://www.judgesguild.com/downloads.html )

0222 Tupimare Tower (Citadel):

Non-Standard; AL N; TL 4; 40 gp Limit; Assets 100 gp; Population 80 (20
elite gnome guard Ftr1-4, armed with masterwork short
swords and clad in masterwork plate armor guard the mine
and the tower; the remaining 60 inhabitants are Exp1-3s,
mostly miners, engineers and merchants); Isolated (gnome
90%, dwarf 5%, halfling 5%). Authority Figure: Ubwigme
Querst, gnome male N Ftr5. Important Characters: Alwarig
Degrol, gnome male N Ill4 (Querst’s lieutenant); Long-
Nosed Pytal, gnome male N Rog3 (lookout, scout).

A gnomish outpost, Tupimare Tower guards a sacred
mine. The mine is rumored to be a dazzling place, filled
with light emitted by gems embedded in the walls. The
gnomes are vigilant, and have very little patience or humor
when it comes to intruders.

A couple of the larger cities (Invincible Overlord, World Emperor, etc) are written up in a bit more detail...but there aren't many of those. This example is what you'll find the majority of them are. You'll note that there are no stat blocks for NPCs...just class and level.

BTW...read through that Lanap Chapter. There's seventeen more chapters like that, and a poster map to go with each chapter. (Ok...9 double sided posters make 18 maps) If that one chapter floats your boat, then the box set will give you an evilgasm.

In the Player's Guide, only major cities and towns are given a paragraph. In this product they tend to go more into the lore of whichever place they're talking about, rather than nuts and bolts...but the info is still only a springboard. For example:

Town X - (Region Y; Small Town, Pop. 2,072; TL 4): Located
on Mantero Isle, Town X is surrounded by high walls and has a well
protected harbor. The legendary founder of the town, Lord
Memnon, lies entombed in the gigantic Ziggurat which also
serves as a temple for his priesthood. Although often wracked by
storms, Town X is always a safe haven. Its citizens love grandeur
and seek to emulate the greatness of their deity by building great
and enduring works. Slavery is common, but slaves are treated
well to ensure their loyalty. Freed slaves often work for merchants
or warehouse managers. Swan ships, caravels, sloops and
galleons often dock here. Mariners flock to the free theater and
chorals.

And thats pretty much it.

Hope this helps.

Ghendar

First Post
For those of you who have the older version...................

I don't know so I'm asking.
I understand that older versions of the material in the box set (was there a previous edition box set?) comes with color maps. If that's true, can these older color maps be used with the new box set?

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Ghendar said:
For those of you who have the older version...................

I don't know so I'm asking.
I understand that older versions of the material in the box set (was there a previous edition box set?) comes with color maps. If that's true, can these older color maps be used with the new box set?

I don't think the hex-map co-ordinates are the same.

Geoffrey

First Post
The old Wilderlands maps are not in color. They are printed in black or brown ink on tan paper. The new ones are printed in various shades of gray.

I'm not positive, but I think that the hexagonal map grids are identical on the old and new Wilderlands maps, so the maps would be 100% compatible.

Mystaros

First Post
Geoffrey said:
The old Wilderlands maps are not in color. They are printed in black or brown ink on tan paper. The new ones are printed in various shades of gray.

I'm not positive, but I think that the hexagonal map grids are identical on the old and new Wilderlands maps, so the maps would be 100% compatible.

Quite right, Geoffrey. The difference between the "color" versions and the "gray" versions is the sepia tone and the brown paper, not true four-color.

Map, it would have been awesome to have gotten those in color... but then it would have cost like $140, not $70 retail...

If things go well with the Wilderlands of High Adventure, I plan on getting all the maps redone in color. Someday...

Remove ads