D&D 3E/3.5 Playing the Character-Outsider to the Northern-Tribes-of-the-Earth-Goddess...

"I guess my real problem now is trying to accommodate this fellow who no doubt might like to play a character much like himself. (At a Risk, of posting the rest of this comment to the wrong part of the forum again....) I think he might like to play a racial outsider to the four Tribes of the Earth-Goddess only posing as one of them in a clever disguise. Seeing as this adventure (The Invulnerable-King/The Teeth of the Moon-Sow) is just for the members of the Fir-Domain-Tribe. Yet, no character creation rules have been made for Slaine the Role-Playing-Game of Celtic-Heroes to deal with that. I think as a unwritten rule, Those Celts, especially those ones who lived in the north, were an insular lot.

Could anybody help me out with that?"

In another part of the forum, I asked this difficult question? Is there anyway, I could whip one up for this player real quickly. Nothing like the Midguardians or Drunes or even the Fomorian- invaders or Cythrons...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Is there a reason that he couldn't play a traveler from outside the region but effectively hosted by a local tribe, and thus treated as a member of that tribe within the game setting? Celts did have a reputation for hospitality and fostering, at the very least.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is there a reason that he couldn't play a traveler from outside the region but effectively hosted by a local tribe, and thus treated as a member of that tribe within the game setting? Celts did have a reputation for hospitality and fostering, at the very least.
Perhaps a member of a trade mission that got nearly wiped out by raiders from a neighboring community. Or a shipwreck survivor. Or the descendant of an outsider who did the community a major favor, so is welcome among them.

Thanks for your advice it's been real cool. Some great ideas there and myself, I was just thinking did they ever do Al-Quadim in 3-5 edition. If they have I could borrow from that to make a foreigner race/class.

What do yous reckon?

I'm looking for the books now...

Apologies for taking my time to reply again. Anyway, the player in question I think is African from the colour of their skin is intending to play a Noble-Warrior of the Fir-Domain, who most likely hails from Egypt. How likely do you think he would be welcomed with open arms into their tribe (From one tribe to anothe...) and appointedas a Noble-Warrior.

You probably already know the answer to this, but I'm really trying my hardest to be accomodating & non-rascist without damaging my game.

Here is his mini btw...

Dobhar chu  screenshot.png
Dobhar chu  screenshot (1).png

His hair is only streaked with red from all the blood splatter. The name given is Dobhar-Chu as he was called by the Celtic/Irish locals after seeing him in his Shoggey-Beast form. Likened to one of the Selkie...

Dobhar-chu_encounter.jpg

Selkie  screenshot.png

If you can either pretend that this has flippers for legs or just has the body of a Seal...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One thing to remember about RPGs: even the most mundane player characters is exceptional in some way. So while it might be almost unheard of that a tribe might welcome someone who is clearly alien to them, this PC could be the first in living memory.

All you need to do is find a reason for this to be so. Did he (or an ancestor) rescue someone of vital importance to the tribe? Did he (or an ancestor) help the tribe secure a vital resource? Was he adopted by a member high-ranking family (like Moses)?

LOoking
Dobhar chu with Stubble screenshot.png

Looking at the armor covering right shoulder and arm, I have been trying to come up with way that this armor may work in the game, as it doesn't really cover his body at all, but I beleive that he maight have skill that ultilises the amror to protect him in some way. Maybe it requires successful attack roll to trigger it's effect at the sacrifice of real attack attack roll using both mattocks (Those wooden hammers in each hand.).

Anyway, this isn't covered in the book at all. Armour is either covering your body or not at all...

How would you use what is covering his arm. According to Hero-Forge.com it's known as a Manica... Manica | Armor | Stronghold Nation

Now that I'm thinking about it, why would man dual-weilding Mattocks favor just one arm?

Would these apply...

Looks like it makes sense to me...

I would call it a Manica made from Scale and give him the +1 bonus to AC, (Despite it being stated that the only gets this if he is wearing a full suit of the piece-meal armor.) along with all the other penalties...

Remove ads