Pledge of Tyranny (updated November 13)

genshou

First Post
This Story Hour is based on a heavily house-ruled campaign I ran for a while in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. It is entirely fictional, and none of it will reflect the chronicling of an actual gaming session. The narration will be heavily inspired by the D&D rules and Elements of Magic - Revised by E.N. Publishing (a variant magic system very separate from the Vancian spellcasting of the core rules).

The Story Hour starts out around three months before the official start of the campaign, and at first features the meeting and initial adventures of two important NPCs, Evendur Greycastle and Shirl Ravenlocke. As characters in the campaign, Evendur is a Gestalt Rogue/Ranger who later becomes a multiclass between gestalt Rogue/Mage (Elements of Magic - Revised) and Ranger/Mage, and Shirl is a Gestalt Troubad'war (Unorthodox Bards)/Fighter. Because of the cancellation of the campaign partway through, in the Story Hour they are the protagonists rather than NPCs, and this is their story from their initial meeting up to when they discover their destiny, and a massive and evil plot to overthrow all of Faerûn (because villains who aren't ambitious aren't any fun).

A Rogues' Gallery for this Story Hour is currently pending due to me being lazy and not starting the thread.

You can find an explanation of the Forgotten Realms calendar in post #39, right around the bottom of page 1. Scroll on down and have a look if you're not familiar with the Calendar of Harptos, or you just need a refresher.

In case it needs to be said, the majority of the content of this Story Hour is copyright Timothy P. Campbell. People and places from canon Forgotten Realms (for example, the city of Waterdeep and the archmage Elminster) are copyrighted to their respective IP rights holders.

And with all that out of the way, enjoy!

10th Marpenoth (Leaffall), 1371 DR. Time approx. 0730

Focus. Her eyes remained fixed on the clay jug standing atop a fencepost on the rim of the inn grounds. Morning light inching over the surrounding businesses of Waterdeep glittered in the beads of sweat trickling down her face from her long, reddish-brown hair. Aquamarine eyes narrowed as she looked down at the coiled whip in her delicate, gloved left hand, her focal point adjusting to view the nearer object. She brought her eyes to rest on the tip of the hardened leather coil, attached to which was a steel blade slightly larger than a dagger. It was her own weapon. She had crafted it herself, and would someday be the master of its use. Glancing briefly over to her teacher watching her from within the shadow of the stable, she once again focused her vision on her target. Taking in a few breaths and releasing them, her grip tightened on the whip dagger’s handle. Gracefully she turned a full counter-clockwise circle, releasing the lengthy coils of her weapon as she did so. As she finished exhaling the last of her breath, she moved her arm ever so slightly to adjust the trajectory of the tip, and then pulled against the length of the weapon to straighten its extension. The blade whistled through the air and then struck home, stabbing into the jug and carrying its momentum through to push the container off the post. Swiftly falling to the Earth, clay shattered as the jug struck the cobblestones of the street.
Her mentor’s applause incited a slight flush in her cheeks as she tugged on the handle to recover the tip. Coiling the weapon once more–conscientiously done, due to the many barbs along its length–she turned to see the man walking toward her. He was as average as a man could be–a human in his late twenties, average height and build, brown eyes and short brown hair. The sparkle he carried in his eyes betrayed his mischievous but kind personality. His name was Lander, a bard of no small repute, though knowledge of his fame had yet to spread this far from Cormyr. “Well done!” he shouted jubilantly in his sparse, spirited lilt. “You have improved greatly since I first took you under my wing three years ago. Back then, you couldn’t even hit a barn.

She situated her whip dagger in the special slot built into her belt on the right side, then stamped her foot petulantly. “How rude! I don’t recall ever missing a barn, even when I used a whip for the first time.”

Lander laughed blithely. “Aye, that you did not. ‘Twas only a jest, m’dear Shirl.” His words had an immediate calming effect on her. She understood he was only joking, but was predisposed to impulsiveness, especially when she presumed herself affronted. Still, Lander seemed to have a way with words when it came to women. Perhaps it was his tone, or his posture, or a mixture of many factors, but regardless of the source, he was charming to members of the opposite sex. He did not use this knack for personal benefit, though he was remembered as quite the dashing storyteller among the women in the Dales. “At any rate, I’m goin’ to find some breakfast. Feel free to join me once you’ve finished practicing.” Turning with a shake of his head as he contemplate her dedication to morning practice, he chuckled quietly and stepped back into the inn proper. Shirl watched him leave out of the corner of her eye, then brought her fists up in the manner of a brawler. She felt like venting some steam after some difficulties in her training the night before. Breakfast would have to wait...

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
So far I like the style itself--good, solid, characters for such a brief write up. Guess we'll see where it goes. :)

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
So far I like the style itself--good, solid, characters for such a brief write up. Guess we'll see where it goes. :)
As always, Lela, thanks for the vote of confidence!

Shirl is the very first role-playing character I ever made. She's been around in various forms for 10 years, now. Though she has evolved considerably over time, she'll always be a fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, charismatic master of the whip (or in the case of 3rd Edition rules, the whip dagger). Bet nobody can guess what PrC she's going to go for! :D

Next update, I'll introduce the other PNPC (Party Non-Player Character). He hasn't always been with Shirl, but ever since I first put him adventuring with her, the two have gone together like chocolate and peanut butter (mmmm, Reese's ;)).

genshou

First Post
Emperor Valerian said:
Hmm... this one might be going places. I'm gonna be readin'...
Thanks!

If by 'going places' you mean perhaps figuring out that there's more to the world than the inn I've mentioned so far, then yes! And if all you're expecting is to see the inn she's staying at, then won't you be amazed when I show you... the area across the street!

Seriously, though...

To Mike and I, single-player campaigns are the bread and butter of our mutual existentialishness. We're both aspiring writers (though for me it's not a career choice), and it's easy for us to push our imaginations into overdrive. Though Lela can't attest to my ability as a DM (due to the fact that he's never played in any of my games), I know he'll have good things to say about Mike.

With Mike as my player, I know this campaign will go much further than I could otherwise take it.

Stay tuned, everybody! I'll try to update over the weekend, and if not then, Monday for sure.

Lela

First Post
I did see Mike blossem as a player before he shipped off north. I'm not sure when this game started but with a one-on-one with Mike, I expect it to get deep. Very deep.

genshou

First Post
This time, I’ll introduce the second PNPC, Evendur Greycastle. Not much is known about him, even by his fellow party members, other than that he hails from Waterdeep. In metagaming terms, he is a 1st-level human male with a gestalt class combination of rogue and ranger.

10th Marpenoth (Leaffall), time approx. 0645

“Evendur!” The voice sounded of frustration. “Evendur, hurry and get up!” In his half-asleep daze, he could barely feel someone’s hands on him, shaking him roughly. “The master will be angry if you’re late again!”

He rolled onto his back, opening his eyes slowly. The dim light from a nearby torch was all that allowed him to see the rotted and warped rafters above. Somehow, he managed to summon enough mental faculties to mutter quietly to the offending serving girl. “Go away, Mishli...”

The hands removed themselves from him, and he heard footsteps scurrying off toward the ladder and then the sound of Mishli climbing down. He rolled over onto his side and tried to sleep, but an offending piece of hay stuck into his side. Growling in truly formidable early morning anger, he heaved himself up and tore the offending hay from his body. Throwing it into the darkness, he dropped down heavily and closed his eyes...

Then, he heard it. She was still in the stable, down below. Drawing water...? Ah, well. It didn’t matter what the girl was doing. He was exhausted, and he was going to sleep. The master of the inn wouldn’t need his services until the patrons were drunk anyway. He sighed as he settled into a curled position on the hard wooden floor, already slipping into a deep slumber.

His sleep was interrupted when Mishli finally brought the bucket of cold water up the ladder and dumped it on his head. He was on his feet in what seemed an instant. Swaying back and forth as he fought off the sleepy haze, he half-opened his eyes, searching for the stupid girl. “You little... this time I’ll kill you!” He finally regained enough sight to spot her just as her amused expression turned to one of shock, and then a hint of fear. And then, he started running after her. Luckily for Mishli, he stumbled for a moment, giving her time to scurry down the ladder before he could regain his footing.

“Well, isn’t that great,” he mumbled sarcastically. Now that he had stood up, he definitely wouldn’t be able to fall back asleep. Sighing tiredly, he sat down and began his morning meditation. It was an important part of his self-training, and he awakened almost an hour early each day in order to allow himself the luxury.

Once he had sat in the darkness long enough to satisfy his odd desire for peace and contemplation, he stood up and walked over to the small cloth bundle that made up his wordly possessions. Aside from the new set of clothing he had saved up for to replace the tattered rags Mishli had found him wearing when they first met, he owned only a quarterstaff, three clubs, and a necklace he had been wearing for as long as he could remember. Picking the necklace up, he looked over its curious design once more. It was a flat copper disc, about an inch across. A small red gem in the shape of a teardrop was built into the center. All around it was intricate carving of a complex leafwork. Evendur did not know the meaning of the necklace, but he assumed the red drop to symbolize blood. He was about to toss the necklace back onto the floor–in fact, his hand was already in motion–when he noticed a faint glow permeating the gem. It grew ever so slightly in intensity as his arm moved away from his body, then faded as he brought it close once more. “Hmm, odd.” The necklace had only glowed once before, when he was searching for a place to employ himself. It had acted as a sort of “compass” then, leading him to this very inn. “Interesting... I wonder where it will lead me this time?” Remarkably, even breakfast–the thing he always did first after meditation every morning, no matter the circumstances–was forgotten as he retrieved his weapons and turned the necklace this way and that, finding the direction which was brightest and following the path to the ladder and then down to the floor below, where the light became as bright as a split torch as he stepped through the stable's doorway and into the morning light...

Shirl swung her arm in a surprisingly strong punch intended to hit the imaginary, burly man in front of her. Anyone underestimating her strength would suffer from quite the painful realization after feeling such a blow. Smirking in satisfaction at how her years of farmwork had paid off, she suddenly had an uncomfortable feeling, as though someone were watching her. She had to look around for a moment before she saw her spectator, watching her with narrowed eyes as he peeked around the edge of the stable’s large doorframe. He was a young man, probably around her own age, with startlingly blonde hair at least three inches in length and horribly messy. The fact that he was covered in hay and soaking wet didn’t help, either. He was holding a small disc-shaped necklace in his palm as he stared at her. She thought she saw a glow emanating from the necklace at first, but perhaps it was only her imagination, or a trick of the light. Once the young man realized she was looking back at him, he averted his gaze nervously. The necklace went into a pocket on his simple peasant’s clothing, and he stepped out into the light carrying what appeared to the untrained eye to be a walking stick. On the other hand, Shirl could see that it had been shaped to be used in combat. The way he carried it–and the way he carried himself–were proof that he was no mere commoner. And then there was that necklace. This young man was certainly a strange one...

He was tall and lean, and walked with the grace of one for whom every step was a carefully measured thing, never exerting more energy than was needed, nor moving in a way that would disrupt his balance even slightly. His walk was interrupted when he turned to regard her once more, and his callous words reminded her that she was now staring at him. “Do you make it a habit to observe others as they are trying to work? Or is it just that you’ve never seen another human being before?” She turned her head away, feeling warmth in her cheeks in reaction to his unkind remark. By the time she looked again, she was alone. The creak of the kitchen’s outside door closing behind him was the only sound aside from the distant ocean waves.

As soon as he was inside, Evendur snatched a plate and held it in front of the cook, whom everyone called Cookie. “Food... please...” His stomach rumbled mightily, causing him to place his free hand upon it. After Cookie–a tall, portly man whose stern gaze would have made most others flinch–had given Evendur a proper scolding with his look alone, he placed some food on the eager youth’s plate and shoved him away. “Now hurry up and eat, the master wants you in there as soon as possible. It’s a full house today, and we don’t want to see any more trouble here.”

Evendur swallowed a mouthful of potatoes without adequately chewing, and immediately regretted his hasty action. “That’s right... that Lander fellow is performing again this morning, isn’t he? He’s very good, from what I hear.”

Cookie grunted his agreement. “Less talk, more eat,” he grumbled as he turned to stir some soup. Evendur sighed and resumed eating.

When he was finished, Evendur set his plate next to the sink and started for the door to the common room, just as Mishli returned with several empty plates in hand. He could see the girl, probably fifteen or sixteen years old, better in this light. She was her usual self, clean and composed despite the dirty, tattered and patched dress she wore. She was pretty in a plain sort of way, with beautiful brown hair and green eyes, but she lacked the shapely form or striking, exotic features of one such as the fiery-haired young woman he had briefly seen outside. Mishli barely held a chuckle back as she saw his disheveled state. “Oh, Evendur, what to do with you? You’re covered in hay!” She set the dishes down and grabbed hold of his arm. “Come on, I’ll help you clean up!” The two of them stepped into the common room just as the sound of a mug falling to the floor preceded a fist striking and a muffled groan. Evendur gripped his quarterstaff tighter. This can only mean one thing, he thought. Trouble...

Lela

First Post
Wow, I must have been tired lately. I've read this thing 3 times over the last week and, now that I've had the sanity to get through it, I find that I remembered nothing. Oi.

By the way, you really fleshed out Cookie fast. I'm impressed. Perhaps I've tutored too many 14 y/o lately but I find that your writing style is far better than I expected, even after knowing you for 10 years (perhaps because I've known you for 10 years :p ).

Hey genshou.

Engaging writing so far - character development is very strong for this early in the posts. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Kick me awake when the Bulette Warband show up. ;)

Spider J

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
Wow, I must have been tired lately. I've read this thing 3 times over the last week and, now that I've had the sanity to get through it, I find that I remembered nothing. Oi.

By the way, you really fleshed out Cookie fast. I'm impressed. Perhaps I've tutored too many 14 y/o lately but I find that your writing style is far better than I expected, even after knowing you for 10 years (perhaps because I've known you for 10 years :p ).
Wow, only 10 years? Thought it was longer. Meh. Anyway, sorry about not having a new update for you to read 3 times and remember nothing of. It's on the way, but I'm experiencing a rare case of writer's block.
SpiderJerusalem said:
Hey genshou.

Engaging writing so far - character development is very strong for this early in the posts. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Kick me awake when the Bulette Warband show up. ;)

Spider J
Thanks for the input. Character development has always been my forté, and my NPCs tend to be a lot more complicated than the world they live in. I guess you could call characters my one saving grace as a Dungeon Master :p

And sorry SJ, landsharks aren't native to Mistledale in my campaign (this explains the lack of PB & Dalesfolk sandwiches ;)), so you won't be seeing them until the party moves away from the Dalelands, or just gets "lucky" enough to find a wayward specimen. That probably won't occur for a few more character levels... otherwise, Mike would kill me.

Remove ads