• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plz! Help me build my new character

pressedcat

First Post
Seeten said:
Scout doesnt have scimitar on its list, that'd require a feat to aquire, if a short sword isnt a slashing weapon(oops?) change focus to any other slashing weapon on the scouts limited list.

I'd forgoten that because i mixed scout with swashbuckler. Even one level in swash would probably be enough, and i think thats the one that gives you weapon finesse and +1 reflex save, so is probably well worth taking.

Guilberwood

First Post
I’m thinking right now about the duelist prestige class.
It gives me Int to AC, +2 initiative, +1d6 (+2d6 latter) damage, and, the one thing I like the most, my duelist level on AC when fighting defensively.
Together with 5 ranks in tumble and that new tactical feat from player's handbook II (the rapier one), I can fight defensively and loose -4 to hit and get 5+ duelist level (minimum +12)
Amazing, right?
I wouldn't even need combat expertise, right?

The question is: should I go fighter all the way? Fighter/swashbuckler? Fighter/rogue or Fighter/rogue/swashbuckler

If I had a decent Str (say, +4), would the swashbuckler levels be useful at all, since I wouldn’t need weapon finesse. In other words, is it worth to loose 3 levels to add int to damage, or are these levels better spent somewhere else, like rogue or even fighter or duelist?

Thanks for the input
Guilberwood

FalcWP

Explorer
If your Strength is higher than your Dexterity, then weapon finesse is virtually useless. As for whether it'd be worth it to get three levels of Swashbuckler, that depends on your intelligence - a 12 Intelligence Swashbuckler, probably not. A 16 intelligence swashbuckler, quite possibly.

As for increasing your AC with duelist levels... Combat Expertise isn't essential, but it won't hurt, especially if you can convince your DM to allow Combat Expertise in place of fighting defensively. Note that a Duelist's bonuses rely on not wearing armor, and that they require weapon finesse, so a Strength based duelist that doesn't have a great dexterity may be in trouble.

Remove ads