Polis: Welcome to the City

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
dead_radish said:
Tharas shakes his head at the newcomer. "Pleased you could join us, yer lordship. B'sure you don't get any dirt on yer fancy clothes, or yer bosoms, eh? I suspect we may be tramping through sewers before this escapade is over."

Muttering quietly to himself in Halfing, stamps along at the front of the group, nearly jogging in his attempt to set a fast walk for the vertically over-endowed. "So are any of you in the least bit quiet or sneaky?"

Alexi arches a single thin eyebrow at the Halfling's back, briefly thinking of quoting an old halfing saying which was the equivalent of the human "Don't judge a book by its cover" (literally translated, it came out as "Just because I'm small doesn't mean I can't kick your ass.") But it might be taken poorly, so Alexi restrains his reaction to the single eyebrow, otherwise maintaing a facial expression of amused detachment. He had encountered such hostility before when working on troubleshooting jobs, and had learned to take it in stride.

In response to the second part of the query, Alexi says "Not paticularly, although one of the spells I have access to will render someone invisible for a span of minutes. I expect our best hope will lie in speed and surprise."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
ooc: I would suggest to the DM that, even if you don't want to be doing all the dice rolls (which is the usual PbP practice), things would speed up considerably if you would make reaction rolls, such as initiative, con checks, spot checks, etc. If a player says "I attack," he makes an attack roll; if a player does a bunch of role-playing to convince an NPC, he should make a diplomacy roll; but if we get hit by a fireball, it's a lot faster if you make our reflex saves.

Orichin

First Post
ooc: spot result 13+racial mod=15
In general agreement with the above, I just started a game myself and that was the first adjustment I made from a traditional face-to-face game (and the first time I rolled a die and applied it to a PC that wasn't mine). It didn't seem right at first, and I thought players might feel demirailroaded/shafted when I rolled failures, but looking at it from player and dm perpsective, it seems almost neccessary.

Lurker 2.0

First Post
[True. I do try to roll Spot/Listen/etc myself, but I wasn't really thinking when I made the last post. Will correct in the future.]
Brokenstone Alley splts off Bluemoore Street only a few blocks before the North Ridge outpost, and as the three fastest of the adventurers head past it, the elf and halfling notice a familiar scene: two burly men, who no doubt posses a touch of orc or troll blood, hold down a raggedy-clothed beggar while a third thug slaps a cosh against his palm. It is the dialogue, however, which is unusual:
"Mister Whyte doesn't appreciate the rumors you've been spreading about the foundry riot," the blackjack-wielding thug spits, literally leaving a trail of saliva against the beggar's face.
"Hey, who's that?" one of the other thugs, looking your way, mutters.
"Doesn't matter. You know the rules about witnesses!" Kicking the beggar aside, he pulls out a jagged-edged shortsword and charges, the other two following.
[Vs Draii: Hit, 6 damage. Vs Ul-Than: Miss. Vs Tharas: Miss. AC Note: I'm assuming you're all using your Defense Bonus rather than your armor. It's a move-equivalent to switch; rules on Defense Bonus Vs Armor/DR are on the first page of the OOC thread.]
[Weapons Note: I'm not gonna use the variant weapon rules for NPCs except for the important rivals; it's not like the average mook really knows how to use any weapon, but the true villains will get all the benefits you do.]
[Initiative List: Thugs, Ul-Than, Tharas, Draii. Post Actions when you're ready. The rest of the PCs arrive in 3 rounds.]
[Tactical Situation: (3/6th of) Party is 10 ft between each member (Ul-Than farthest, Tharas in middle, Draii at rear, one thug in melee with each PC.]

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
[Initiative List: Thugs, Ul-Than, Tharas, Draii. Post Actions when you're ready. The rest of the PCs arrive in 3 rounds.]

That running or walking? If walking, do we hear them well enough to run? Mostly I'm figuring out how to write the IC part. ;)

dead_radish

Explorer
Tharas shakes his head, grinning slightly, and spits out his cigar as the thug charges. "Fer all yer size, you can't hit a foe that fights back, can ya berk?" He steps away from the thug standing beside him a bit to clear room for his spear (5' step), and clears his mind as he rotates his spear slightly, moving it in to position (OOC: Drawing/Readying as a reach weapon, 2d6/x2 damage). He swings the spear with an ease that belies his stature, and sends it whistling towards his foe. The spear head seems to flicker and flash, as Tharas focuses all his attention on the attack. (Attack roll of 13+8=21, Damage of 19 (5+6+8) if it hits. Forgot to PA, expending psionic focus).

"We might want to keep one of these brutes alive, if we can."

He also points at the beggar on the ground, who was so recently in the thug's grip. "You, stay." (Intim of 7+6=13).

Last edited:

Orichin

First Post
"Too bad we won't have time to thoroughly question them before it's time for us to punch in." Drai'taii winces his way through the sentence as he pulls a dagger from its sheath on his belt behind him and went into the incantations of a spell.

ooc: drawing weapon and casting on the defensive (concentration check 12+5=17). Casting summon monster 1 (celestial badger) directly opposite the thug attacking Drai.
(On your ruling, if it attacks this round, claw/claw/bite 17+4=21/12+4=16/1-1=0, all attacks that hit do 1 dmg)

Celestial Badger
hp: 8
spd: 30, br 10
AC 15 (T=14, FF=12)
full attack: claw/claw/bite +6/+6/+1 1d2+1/1d2+1/1d3+1
sq: acid/cold/elec resist 5. smite evil (+1 dmg) 1/day. darkvision, scent, SR 6, rage.
rage: upon taking damage, badger gets +4 str and con, -2 ac and attacks offending character until death do them part.

Last edited:

Remove ads