Politics interfering with gaming

I answer to the original question, we don't allow politics to be really a big deal in the games we play, but our political (and religous) beliefs influence the games, the group, and what we choose to do with theme and world.

Our group doesn't allow smokers (no one in the group does now, and everyone dislikes it, and the game is at my house, and I don't allow smoking in the house or on the property). That isn't necessarily due to belief, because we have a severe asthmatic in the group, but it it re-enforced by personal opinion.

We don't allow any kind of mind altering substance (beyond Mt Dew) at our games, and if anyone shows up having been drinking (or doing illegal drugs) they are booted instantly. We've been in games where drinking happened, and it was not fun. The fact that we have beliefs in that direction re-enforce that decision.

I have a belief in the concept of an absolute good and and absolute evil, and the fact that we can know those things. So that concept would be integral to any game I run, especially fantasy. Good are the good guys, evil are the bad guys, so that influences the kind of games I run and what kind of characters I allow (I do not allow any non-good alignements for example).

That is about as far as it goes in our games.

When playing modern settings (usually superhero), then the world is somewhat idealised to my political position, because dang it, it's my wold, and the stuff I wish would be the case in the real world is going to be there, at least a little bit.

edbonny

Explorer
My problem is very similar but also a little different.

I hate when I am at a political rally or protest, carrying signs - chanting slogans - voting - you know getting all political, and then someone somewhere invariably pulls out a board game or a role-playing game and starts playing. I mean, come on people. First of all I am there to be all political in the first place and then someone mixes it up... always with a game that they like to play which means it's usually a game I don't like to play or would ever want to play.

And that just ruins the rally, the election, the protest, whatever for me. I don't even want to play games when I am out politicking so I can see where the rest of you are coming from when your games are ruined by politics.

Politics and gaming. Meh! They just don't mix no matter what you were doing first. ;)

- Ed

Troll Wizard

First Post
It is not a problem in either of my two groups. In the large group (9 players) that I have been playing with for the last 5+ years, I believe because part of the group is ex-military (myself included) and the rest by fate or luck, are all right of center. So its not a potential souce of arguments or disagreements with us.

In the smaller group (5 players) I DM, political views have rarely come up and I don't ask as we are mostly new (<6 months) to each other.

I don't believe someone's personal political or religious beliefs should matter when playing a social game. D&D, by its social nature it is inevitable that you will play with people of opposing views. In playing D&D 25+years I have never met someone that actively politicize their views during a game.

Voadam

Legend
frankthedm said:
Would you be willing to say where the error is in my 'formula and ideology'.

"Here is why there is no such thing as being neutral on any conflict. When a person does not involve themselves in a conflict, they are letting the side that is currently winning continue to win. It is the same situation if they help both sided equally, the winner is still winning after their “help”. If they help the loosing side more to gain equal footing then they have sided with the losing side."

Actively taking a position is taking a position. Not being involved is not the same as actively taking a position.

There are many conflicts going on around the world all the time. Nobody can get involved in every conflict. This does not make everyone siding on the winning sides of almost every conflict around the world. It only means they are not involved in every conflict around the world.

You also say that helping out everyone is siding with the stronger because they are still winning. However then it seems it would have to follow as well that someone who sided with a loser who after the support is still losing is actually siding with the stronger.

Monty Tomasi

First Post
As with all things that can cause disruption to the game, there are a few simple steps that you can take...

- Have a quiet word with the individual away from the others and point out in a diplomatic manner what is causing the disruption.

- If that does not work, use the group to apply peer pressure. If it is seen as unpopular by others there is less likelihood that the disruption will rear its ugly head.

- If that does not work, then a short sharp jab normally does the job.

Remove ads