POLL: Biblical-era Middle-East setting

Would you be interested in a biblical-style setting for d20?

• YEAH! Biblical d20 is a good idea, and I'd use it.

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • Sure. Biblical d20 is a nice idea, and I might use some stuff.

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • Whatever. Biblical d20 may be good for some, but I wouldn't use it.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • You're kidding. Biblical d20 is not only useless, it's playing with fire!

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • The Obligatory OTHER

Votes: 4 3.9%

Bagpuss

Legend
Not enough pets in the Bible that's what I say, personally I'ld be more interested in an RPG set in the Last Days, all that Revelations stuff seems pretty scary for the folks left behind after the Rapture.

Not that I believe in any of it but it would make an interesting setting.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Wow, first time one of my threads was bumped by somebody else.... Cool. :)

And thanks for giving me another perspective, arcseed....now only if this board had a Muslim, I'd be set. :)

Those are some good ideas....I think just this sort of disclaimer might be a good idea, for those that want to run something a bit closer to reality, though I'm wary of using that as a default.

Yeah, once the poll is over, I'll start a thread in the Whereabouts forum to flesh it out (I'll link to it from here), and I certainly value any and all input that everyone would like to give. I'm still battin' around ideas and everythings still pretty high-in-the-air, so your opinions may sway me.

SHARK, I like your ideas. Dude, you think of EVERYTHING for your campaign, don't you? :)

So I'll answer the advice.

(1) Low-Magic is definately in, but I'm not sure if Real World is in. I'd much prefer to take the ideas presented and have them apply to fictitious places and events that are parallells of what history and religion speak of happening. I just watched the educational channels' week-long buildup of the time of Jesus, biblical sciences, historians, etc. to get quite inspired.

There's no reason, for instance, that Jerusalem has to be "Jerusalem," when it could variously be The Promised City, the location granted to the race of people known as the Chosen so long ago when they had a pact with their God, and the Land of the Risen One, the spot on which the savior-figure of a certain religious sect was persecuted, died, and was reborn. Or whatever. :)

In this way, no matter the time period, I can hopefully avoid people saying "That's not the way it REALLY was!" because, hey, duh it's not the way it really was. It's not supposed to be. It's just supposed to give a similar "feel."

(2) This is good, but I think I'm going to be scanty in my use of D&D's mythological bestairy....so much of it has already pre-associated stereotypes, and while it might be OK to break them, it'd be hard and a bit nonsensical. So I think, when I do depart from the "Humans in the desert" ideal, I'll do so stubtly, I think.

For instance, I'm tossing about the idea in my head for the analogs to the Jewish folk to be markedly different from your average human -- special. They'd get certain bonuses and such (minor ones), but loose them if they become "impure," until they purify themselves.

It's just an idea now, but it sort of represents the idea of a specially blessed people mechanically...they'd be a seperate "race" by D&D terms.

In a similar vien, the literature isn't exactly scanty with mythic figures that I can rip off...er...be inspired by. :D Things like the Nipelhiem (those half-celestial giant things from Genesis, however you spell it...I don't have my books here. :))...or even things not entirely related, but similar. Like, I dunno, some sort of mechanical difference between the 12 Tribes of Israel.

And Bagpuss....anyone with Sorc or Wizard levels will have a familar, of course. :)

Actually, a Revelations-inspired campaign is what led me down this train of thought in the first place. I didn't exactly do it by-the-Book, but I took my own interpretive slant on it, where the Savior was recruited, in the Modern Day, by a church leader obsessed with bringing about the Second Coming. She did something miraculous, and BAM, they have a savior. Of course, then things happen that are very very unpleasant for all involved, and she, the peace-loving, turn-the-other-cheek, do-unto-others kinda miraculous person she is, gets unnerved by it. She ditches the church, and gets cast as the Great Enemy, so powerful that even the Select were duped by her. A new savior was put in her place, and she retreated to the opposition. Of coure, the opposition was nearly as bad, with their (uh)holy hatred of the church, wanting to destroy it, kill all the members, etc. So, in the end, the fate of the world lies on her shoulders, and she must decide the fate of a destructive mankind....

The PC's were advisors, church and rebellion hirees, and close friends of the would-be savior-girl, so they, of course, accompanied her, and were there helping her through the tough times. An NPC-centered story, though one so involving I have people showing up just to "watch the story."

Heh....maybe I need a story hour. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I posted this on the Happy Easter thread, and figured it might be relevant here:

In anticipation of people posting stats for the Easter Bunny, I have preemptively posted some spell guesses for the 10 plagues (from the Holiday I celebrate at this time of the year, Passover). With events as they are in Israel this year, it's going to be a grim one. Some time for some levity:

For those who are unfamiliar with the holiday, here is a very brief summary, and a listing of the plagues:

Moses (a high level Cleric) asked the current Pharoah (A high level aristocrate, probably with some other classes in there) to release the Jewish people from slavery (the Pharoah was probably Lawful Evil, since he enslaved some of his population and used their labor to likely build his tomb, one of the larger pyramids in Egypt). The Pharoah refused. In return, Moses and Aaron (another high level cleric with a magic staff) sent plagues into Egypt. It was the last, and most fierce plague, the slaying of the first born, that finally made the Pharoah capitulate, and allow the followers of Moses (who seems to have had the leadership feat), the Jewish people, to leave Egypt. The Jews were spared from the last plague by spreading lamb's blood on their front doors, thereby identifying the house as a Jewish house, and the plague "PASSED OVER" the houses of the Jewish slaves (a ward of some kind?). The ten plagues are listed below:-

1. Blood (waters turned to blood. An illusion spell? It had a very wide effect, and the fish died, and the water was undrinkable for weeks, so perhaps something more powerful? Poison spell?)

2. Frogs (a summon nature spell?)

3. Vermin (summon vermin spell)

4. Beasts (hordes of wild animals, a higher level summon nature spell again?)

5. Pestilence (cause disease, on the cattle?)

6. Boils (cause disease on humans? Moses used some material components with this one I seem to recall)

7. Hail (various weather changing spells)

8. Locusts (insect plague)

9. Darkness (as spell, but with pretty wide range)

10. Slaying of First Born (pretty wide-spread harm spell, maybe something else, like Miricle?)

There are plenty of other spells involved with the story (like the parting of the red sea, the staff to snakes spell, etc...). Anyone else have some good ones?

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Hey, Kamikaze, thanks!:) I'm glad that you like my ideas!

Yes, I do think of EVERYTHING for my campaign! I mean, c'mon, what would you expect of a History/Theology/Philosophy scholar with his own huge library, running a campaign world for twenty frippin years!:)

Joking aside, thankyou. I try. I try to build into my campaign so many mythical as well as historical components, to make it as real as possible. I want my players to know exactly why the Brethren of The Silver Wolf believe in ritual tatoos, and trials by ordeal, and why the Northern Vallorean Trading Company has established banking houses throughout the northern frontier of cities. I want my players to be able to describe to me their favorite meal at the Bronze Lion Inn, and what their favorite desert at the Grey Oak is, and what Kendra's Old Black Leaf tobacco smokes like, as well as what kind of aroma it has. I also like them to know their sister's birthday, their girlfriend's favourite perfume, and the Bagpipe style of the Baron's Bard at the opening feast before the armies march to war.

These things, and more, if my players know them, and are enthusiastic, then I know that I have been successful!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wow, Shark, I would REALLY love to play in your campaign!!!!

And yes, KM, I give you my advise:
Go on, man, a low magic human world, closely modelled from Middle East but with enough difference to shut up the fanatics. Your idea is one of the most interesting I've seen in the last weeks...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So far, so good. A few more votes, and I'll call it a go, but, then again, the rest of the votes may be all for the "Bad Idea" option, so I want to give people a chance. :)

Oh, the plagues is good...maybe, to mimic it....:

1: Blood: Red River: Maybe about 6/7th level cleric spell. Touched water turns into blood (actual blood) for one day/level. The spell spreads with the water, and will go wherever the water goes, so casting it near the source of a river may turn the entire river to blood. Blood is undrinkable, and will not support marine life.

2: Frogs: I think Summon Swarm could handle this....just hafta have it metamagiked to be extended, broadened, and such.

3: Vermin: Summon Swarm again, and it enhanced to be affecting a LARGE area again.

4: Beasts: Summon Stampede: Like Summon Swarm, but upgrades it to a flurry of raging herd animals.

5: Pestilience: Odly enough, I'd call this spell Pestilence, like a large-scale Cause Disease, though targeted on a specific type of creature (so you could infect animals, goblinoids, undead, whatever).

6: Boils: Probably another use of Pestilence, targeted at humans.

7: Hail: Control Weather can do this.

8: Locusts: I think Summon Swarm is too weak....how about Creeping Doom, which is summon swarm for army ants. :)

9: Darkness: Probably not like the spell...more like Snuffing of the Candle of the Sun which disables all natural light. You can still light torches and stuff, though.

10: Firstborn: This I see as an application of Miracle, requesting direct deity intercession...I don't think any spell is that exacting. :)

Keep the ideas comin'! Soon, comes the Development Thread.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
(the Pharoah was probably Lawful Evil, since he enslaved some of his population and used their labor to likely build his tomb, one of the larger pyramids in Egypt).

I'd have to disagree with this - maybe Lawful Neutral though.

Thing is the Pharoah of Exodus did NOT enslave the Jews - the Jews had lived in Egypt for centuries (since Joseph took them there) and were lowcaste citizens who like all lowcaste egyptian citizens had their labour coopted into 'Public Works' for the Pharoah (including Tombbuilding).
The Jews were in Egypt 500 years until the time of 'a pharoah who did not know(remember) Joseph' who decided that they were a burden on his economy and decided to slay the firstborn.
Baby Moses escaped this and was 'adopted' by Pharoahs daughter (The egyptian jews must have been identical in looks to the Egyptians-proper for the baby to have been passed off so easily)

Moses greup as an Egyptian Prince and after his fathers death as 'brother' to Pharoah...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Bumpitty!

And a little thingy....Pharaoh would *probably* be LE. Enslaving peoples isn't exactly Good (though it may not be evil), and killing firstborn sons because they are a burden on the economy is probably pretty close to Evil.

But, because this is all about interpretations, I'll probably include some versions that are LN (just trying to help out the poeple that mattered) and even LG (the Jews were wicked rebels, plotting to overthrow a successful kingdom, just because they were too lazy to endure the labor that the other Egyptians did...)

As the story is told, he's pretty much solidly Lawful Evil, though you may be able to make a case for Lawful Neutral. But just because it's told that way doesn't mean it has to happen that way. :)

Remove ads