• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: DM, GM, or Other?

What Title do you Use to the Person Who Runs a Roleplaying Session?

• DM

Votes: 90 53.9%
  • GM

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Referee

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 15 9.0%

KrazyHades

First Post
Alright, I've heard lots of terms used to mean the same thing: the person who runs a roleplaying session. What I want to know is what tern YOU use, and why (For example, using GM because DM in a sci-fi campaign doesn't make much sense).

interwyrm

First Post
"Game Master" sounds less... weird... than "Dungeon Master". Game master, to me, evokes the image of a fairly normal person who is running some kind of game. "Dungeon Master' evokes the image of a socially unacceptable person sitting in a dimly lit room, pondering manaiacal plans.

I use DM because I cut my eyeteeth in roleplaying games playing D&D and AD&D in the early 80's and it is what is ingrained in me from long years of usage. It's just habit. I sometimes use GM, but I have to consciously try to do so as DM comes much more naturally. Referee, Judge (a la Judges Guild), Narrator, Storyteller, etc. just aren't what comes to mind when I think of running a game, though I can and do use them when I am referring to something specific.
-M

Kid Socrates

First Post
I say "GM," because I don't run a game with dungeons, I run a Final Fantasy game (or before, Mage: The Ascension). That said, I do have the Random DM Fun Die, a d4 I roll whenever I need a random yes or no, which is a holdover from running D&D in high school. So largely GM, with DM roots.

I am such a dork.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Kid Socrates said:
I say "GM," because I don't run a game with dungeons, I run a Final Fantasy game (or before, Mage: The Ascension). That said, I do have the Random DM Fun Die, a d4 I roll whenever I need a random yes or no, which is a holdover from running D&D in high school. So largely GM, with DM roots.

I am such a dork.

Yes. Yes you are.

Anyway, with me... "Sir" will do in most cases.

OH! You meant "at the gaming table."

"Sir" will do in most cases.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I am a "DM" kind of guy, but in no way am I a "Dungeon Master" kind of guy.

Figure that one out!

In other words, to me DM is like this little guy ---> :)

You and I really know it is a ":" followed by a ")" ... but it really is a :). I know that DM really means Dungeon Master, but I hate that term. To me, DM is not defined as Dungeon Master. DM is defined as "the guy/gal who's in charge."

I'd likely use GM as well, but never "Game Master." "Dungeon Master" and "Game Master" seem too close to needing to hike up my pants and pull out the pocket-protectors. We're not nerds ... well ... at least not always. :heh:

DM (or GM even) it is, but definately not ____ Master ever!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Typically, I use "GM" 'cause only D&D has "Dungeon Masters" (really, it's the only RPG that uses said term). Thus, I use the term "DM" when I'm talking about D&D but the term "GM" when I'm talking about nearly any other game.

Remove ads