• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll for Worst Class for 3.0 or 3.5

What is your worst class in 3e?

• Barbarian

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • Bard

Votes: 60 26.8%
  • Cleric

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Druid

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • Fighter

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Monk

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Ranger

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • Rogue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • Wizard

Votes: 7 3.1%

Belgarath

First Post
the sorcerer is a dud

I voted for the sorcerer for 3e. The only class i dislike more is the Psion, but it is not from the core book. I have a number of reasons for this

1) there is nothing particularly unique about the class. The cast the same spells as wizards and even have the same familiar ability. Even there ability to cast spells on the fly is shared by the bard.

2) the limited number of spells that a sorcerer may cast. This is made worse by the fact that once it has been taken it is forever yours and may not be changed for any reason (by the core rules). This limits the spells you may take by quite a bit.

3) The spell progression table. The other major spell casters are getting a new spell level a level lower than the sorcerer, i.e. a sorcerer has to wait until 4th level until he gets a 2nd level spell. The other major caster (cleric, druid, and wizard) recieve 2nd level spells at 3rd.

Now dont get me wrong, I like the idea behind a sorcerer. I could deal with it if they gave the class something completely unique to the sorcerer and changed either of the other two. At least give them the ability to swap spells somehow. I heard this is happening in 3.5

As far as 3.5 goes, I have not been keeping up with all of the changes, so I cannot make a proper choice.

Gizzard

First Post
I see I am not alone in voting for the monk.

I voted for Monk based on the 3E Monk.

I'm really hoping the 3.5E Monk is going to be better though. Certainly very few people here have actually playtested the 3.5E classes yet, so I'm not sure why this poll includes "3.0 or 3.5"? Until they get playtested, it's hard to understand the subtleties of a given class, so I'd think few can talk knowledgably about 3.5 yet.

Bhaal

First Post
Monks, definitely, for all the reasons stated. They just don't fit in more ways than one. Poorly thought out and an even worse execution, here's hoping they have a good revamp in 3.5.

MrZoink

First Post
3e: Ranger. The one level (core) prestige class. ;)

But, I agree with everyone about the incongrouity of the monk. Especially since they use all those weird weapons (sai anyone?)

I've had a good time with bards, but I can see how they could easily be seen as underpowered.

As for druids, I don't get it. I like 'em. No need to convince me though, I understand that it's all just a matter of taste. What works well in one group under one DM, may not fare so well somewhere else.

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
Bards are support characters, plain and simple. If you're comfortable playing a support character, you love the flexibility. Otherwise, they can be seen as underpowered. However, so far as my group is concerned, having my bard has been quite crucial to our survival.

Inspire competence on search and disable device has saved the rogue from certain death. Inspire greatness along with the Lasting Song feat meant characters bumped up temporarily on HP and to hit which carried the day. The ability to cause an immediate flanking situation by the use of DDoor without having to go through multiple AoO helped turn the tide... especially since I did have enough HP to take a hit or two whereas the wizard didn't. Similarly, DDooring saved a party member this weekend when he went to check out a room 400 feet down and got jumped by an Umber Hulk. With another cleric and our fighter holding on, my bard's ddoor meant the cleric had immediate support. Fascinate along with suggestion has proven useful. And the use of Bardic Knowledge along with all Knowledge skills as class skills... you get the idea.

I miss the ranger from the 1e days. It was truly a special class back then, especially with 2d8 + Con for HP. :)

wighair

Explorer
fusangite said:
Monks should not be a core class. They should be consigned to the Oriental Adventures book and stop messing up a clear European fantasy genre game with their incongruity.

My thoughts exactly sir!

WizarDru

Adventurer
You left out the option: "I like ALL of the classes, and don't think there is a 'worst' class, as they each serve different functions and tastes equally."

That would have been my vote.

Remove ads