• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Irontooth Total Player Kill

Have you witnessed a Total Player Kill during the Irontooth encounter?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • No.

Votes: 76 36.4%
  • No, because I've NOT seen that encounter played.

Votes: 82 39.2%

Jack99

Adventurer
My players just owned Irontooth so badly that he is still hurting even though dead. 7 players, level 2, but encounter was scaled up as well, although "only" to 1800 xp. One person was bloodied when the fight ended, and the warlord still had an inspiring word left.

However, I have got to say that my players did sport some of the best teamplay in 20 years of gaming together. 4e has really made them come together, it's pretty awesome. Also, they did have some really good rolling.

Stalker0

Legend
Are KotS, Kobold Hall and the D&DE demo what we can come to expect from WotC adventures? I was ignoring them to begin with, now I'll be avoiding them like the plague.

My guess is because KOTS was designed as a preview adventure, WOTC figured many wouldn't be using long term characters with it and so decided to take it up a notch. My guess is future adventurers won't be quite as deadly.

Cpt_Micha

First Post
We came close to losing people but no one died. (had people dropped though) We still beat him in the long run though.

We had a paladin, a fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric party.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
We only fought one Cube, and it was a Solo. (I could tell by the two Action Points it spent.) It was in
a water-filled fungal room

That's not the same monster--I'm talking about
an encounter in the dungeon's 2nd level

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Once the PCs become aware of it they should know where it is? And once they take damage they should know what's up. Were you taking HP from them without telling them or something? Or was it that they kept failing perception checks? Oh, I think I get it now. I don't have the mini so maybe that's what confused me.

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was, the GC kept sucking them in, and they kept popping themselves out. I used a 2x2 dungeon tile to represent the GC's location (I used it like a miniature, on top of the actual dungeon tile layout). When a hero was sucked in, I put the character mini on top of the tile representing the GC. The players all knew where and what the GC was; the tile was just an easier representation of the cube than the mini would have been.

silentounce

First Post
That's not the same monster--I'm talking about
an encounter in the dungeon's 2nd level

Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was, the GC kept sucking them in, and they kept popping themselves out. I used a 2x2 dungeon tile to represent the GC's location (I used it like a miniature, on top of the actual dungeon tile layout). When a hero was sucked in, I put the character mini on top of the tile representing the GC. The players all knew where and what the GC was; the tile was just an easier representation of the cube than the mini would have been.

Cool, I'll have to remember that. But we've been using hexes, eliminates the 1-1-1-1 issue. We just like it better anyway and used it for 3e. Geez, that's something I hadn't thought about. Heh, how am I going to represent that. :erm: Do Gelatinous Cubes become Gelatinous Hexes?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads