• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Poll] Rise From Your Grave

How are resurrections in your game?

• The party had to pay an NPC for resurrections.

Votes: 80 41.7%
  • The party got to resurrect fallen members once they could cast the spell

Votes: 52 27.1%
  • I've never seen a resurrection in play, even though I allow them.

Votes: 41 21.4%
  • I don't allow resurrections in play.

Votes: 19 9.9%

kolikeos

First Post
JustKim said:
unwillingness to lose a level.
i think that is the main reason i have never seen a character come back to life, even when i played a cleric that could cast raise dead. in games i run i allow ressurection, but have never seen a PC actually ressurected.

I've seen resurrection and raise dead spells cast in campaigns, but not in a long time. Never had a problem with them, though.

What does bug me is when a DM or PC messes something up and a character dies; then later, they realize the mistake and the character is spontaneously resurrected. Or worse, a player has such a hissy fit about being dead that the DM brings them back to life just to end the griping. For me, those break the narrative flow.

Corsair

First Post
In our high level game (level 14) we have friendly contact with one NPC capable of casting True Res. Since we often take on jobs for that church (as well as being officially "heroes of the kingdom" due to previous work) she is usually happy to provide the spellcasting as long as we pay for it.

awayfarer

First Post
None of those options really apply to either one of my groups.

My WLD group has had several ressurection/raises and other than supplying the diamonds, we've never had to pay. Of course, we're actually trapped in the dungeon and there isn't exactly a functioning economy.

My MERP group has had a few raisings but the characters in question died after doing something rather heroic (sinking the undead island of Numenor) and I think the various people of Middle Earth were happy to provide the service free of charge. I'm not sure that the required spell in this system actually has a huge monetary cost now that I think about it.

thompgc

First Post
So far there has been one raise dead for the PCs and it was cast by an NPC
The PCs are mainly 9th level but the cleric is multiclassed (monk/cleric/sacred fist) so cannot cast the spell yet. Another PC just died and may be raised as well. Several NPCs have also been raised after they fell in a mighty battle with some undead.

Tiberius

Explorer
It is regrettable that this was not a multiple choice poll, for both 1 and 2 suit my experience. I voted for #2, though until the party is capable of casting the spells themselves they go pay NPCs to do it for them.

Quartz

Hero
I'm going to break this out into parts:

1 - "He's not dead; he's only sleeping" or, "It's only a flesh wound". Cast immediately or almost immediately after death in combat. Fairly common.

2 - "Come back here." Cast immediately after a death effect spell. I find it simply wrong that Raise Dead cannot counter Slay Living. If cast immediately, Raise Dead counters death effects that leave the body intact; Resurrection counters those that don't. Essentially they're counter-spells, so there's no level loss.

3 - "Perhaps his spirit still lingers". Raising a little after the event. Say the PCs want to raise a PC after the combat. They rest, memorise the spell, etc. No problem with that. Spell behaves as normal.

4 - Wish. See 2

5 - "Please raise our fallen friend". This is a good excuse to further the plot, shift them onto a side-trek, remove excess wealth / magic / whatever or any combination thereof. I'm of the opinion that a good GM should think about this sort of situation and its ramifications before it arises. Do you want to allow this? If PCs can be raised, what about others in the general populace. How does this affect assassins etc?

Also, in instances 1 and 2, I allow Raise Dead et al to be cast as a Standard Action, as long as they're cast from a spellcasting slot, not a scroll.

I could add more, but the C&C3Demo has just finished downloading. :D

Ourph

First Post
I have seen it used a lot in games I've played in. I don't allow it when I am DMing. Availability of Resurrection doesn't break the game. In fact, it doesn't even come close as far as I can see. But I don't like the flavor it adds to the game or the influence it has on risk/reward calculations for players, so I don't use it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads