• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Poll] Rise From Your Grave

How are resurrections in your game?

• The party had to pay an NPC for resurrections.

Votes: 80 41.7%
  • The party got to resurrect fallen members once they could cast the spell

Votes: 52 27.1%
  • I've never seen a resurrection in play, even though I allow them.

Votes: 41 21.4%
  • I don't allow resurrections in play.

Votes: 19 9.9%

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'll echo what somebody else said. . . when I've seen res spells used frequently, it was always because the party had to compensate for a DM whose love of implementing house rules that hadn't been thoroughly tested unbalanced the game and lead to an absurd number of PC deaths.

This has been true for all editions of D&D that I've played, save for OD&D where combat tends to be several magnitudes more deadly than it is in subsequent editions of the game, thus forcing players to be extra cautious by default. In AD&D 1e and 2e, as well as BD&D and D&D 3x, I've seen res spells used as kind of counter balancing tool.

In this regard, if anything, I think the res spells prolonged games and story lines, when a TPK (or near TPK) would have otherwise caused them to come to a grinding halt.

Peni Griffin

First Post
I've been playing since 1979. My first exposure was at college, which involved good old-fashioned dungeoncrawls, characters zapping in and out in the middles of dungeons, parties with wild mixtures of level and alignment, the whole nine yards. If your fellows carried you out of the dungeon (usually in a portable hole) and coughed up enough money for the relevant spell, you could come back. Antideath technology is no problem in this sort of game.

In more structured, storylike campaigns, I've always had a problem with resurrection. When I ran a campaign in a society with a Norse pantheon, I found that the Norse gods in the Dietes & Demigods couldn't cast resurrection spells, so I ruled that no clerics could do what their gods couldn't. When a PC died in-game, however, the players wanted her back so badly that I decided there was a wizard who could cast Wish. I set up his castle Wizard Humfrey-style, so that you could only get in to see him if you passed all his tests, and could then dicker with him to get the spell you wanted. Being so powerful, he could kick you out at any time - beating his tests only put him under obligation to listen to you, not to do anything. Wish did not come cheap, so in this case defeating death had all kinds of campaign possibilities. It helped that I had a small group who played multiple characters (her player wanted Bree back because she was engaged to his paladin, and the others agreed that, in real life, if you could bring a friend back cured from the dead after wererats ate her, you'd move heaven and earth to do so), so no one had to get left out or roll up a new character to participate.

I hardly ever kill people, but I've decided not to allow raising the dead in my present campaign because I don't want to deal with the differences in society that would result from the availability of such technology, and I didn't want to ignore it either.

Oddly enough, we had character deaths when I was a player in Waterdeep, where any kind of absurd magic is available if you want it badly enough, but we didn't bring them back. This was partly due to the players of the characters, however, who didn't get as attached to their PCs as the rest of us did. In one case, nobody really liked the PC in question. The best eulogy we could come up with at Marek's funeral was: "He was a jerk, but he was our jerk."

The last time I saw Raise Dead used was in a Roman-flavored campaign in which the PCs were the "confidential staff" of a powerful senator. Death, shmeth, nobody kicked us around! We lost one person, a brand new hire, in our first adventure, and my cleric subsequently became fanatical about it never happening again. When she became high enough level she made a "Rod of Comforting the Staff" which could Heal, Break Enchantment, Raise Dead, and even Detect Curse. This worked because of the mileu. If anybody could defy death, it was people at the upper echelons of the Empire - and that was us.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads