• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [poll] Sorcerer Satisfaction Survey

How Satisfied are You With the Sorcerer Class?

• Very satisfied as written

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • Mostly satisfied, a few minor tweaks is all I need/want

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 4 3.2%

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If keeping the current sorcerer then all that I think is really needed is greater breadth of spells to help round out spell lists for dragon sorcerers. If I was going to change the sorcerer, I'd remove metamagic (making it available to all casters) and replace it with something else. I'm not sure exactly what else (because I'm mostly happy with the sorcerer that I have only really thought about extra spell on their spell list).

Xeviat

Hero
If keeping the current sorcerer then all that I think is really needed is greater breadth of spells to help round out spell lists for dragon sorcerers. If I was going to change the sorcerer, I'd remove metamagic (making it available to all casters) and replace it with something else. I'm not sure exactly what else (because I'm mostly happy with the sorcerer that I have only really thought about extra spell on their spell list).

I'm in a similar boat. Metamagic seems really basic and mundane. Overchanneling. Hurting themselves to cast spells. At-will magic. Those would feel like a sorcerer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I was Ok with it, in principle, until I made one for my game (a 10th level NPC). I realized that his list of "spell known" was shorter than the "memorized list" of a wizard. This used to be to compensate for the fact that sorcerers could use their slots at will... but now in 5e so can wizards! Their *huge* advantage is gone. That was the entire point, mechanically speaking!

And they needed more than 2 subclasses from the get-go, *definitely*. Only 2 is ridiculous.

Definitely dissatisfied now.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
1. Tiny number of spells known
2. Cannot change spells known list
3. Balance of subclasses is out of whack (Fire Draconic is most viable, Acid Draconic is unplayable, Non-Draconic need spell knowns tax for Mage Armour/Shield)
4. No Ritual casting
5. No unique spells or cantrips (e.g Vicious Mockery, Hex)
6. Run out of Sorcery points super fast

1/10 would not play

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm in a similar boat. Metamagic seems really basic and mundane. Overchanneling. Hurting themselves to cast spells. At-will magic. Those would feel like a sorcerer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And a much stronger support for sorcerous themes: this is the class that should have support for the Winter Witch, the Blood Mage, the Bog Hag, etc etc the list goes on and on.

One thing WotC have resisted throughout five editions is quantifying the different elemental damage types, but the reality is that you will never not choose Fireball over an acid, poison or cold spell unless you're compensated for doing so.

Especially if spell selection is one of the class' narrow spots.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
1. Tiny number of spells known
2. Cannot change spells known list
3. Balance of subclasses is out of whack (Fire Draconic is most viable, Acid Draconic is unplayable, Non-Draconic need spell knowns tax for Mage Armour/Shield)
4. No Ritual casting
5. No unique spells or cantrips (e.g Vicious Mockery, Hex)
6. Run out of Sorcery points super fast

1/10 would not play
Thank you.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads