• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Type of Campaign You Play

What type of D&D campaign do you usually play?

• Short campaigns (year or less)

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • Long campaigns (over a year)

Votes: 83 50.9%
  • Adventure paths or "Mega-Adventures"

Votes: 21 12.9%
  • Stand-alone adventures, "One-shots"

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Pickup games, Conventions, Tournaments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 4.3%

Gaming Tonic

Explorer
I find myself playing long campaigns with breaks to play short adventures in other systems and genres periodically to work in a change. When we change back to the long campaign both myself and players usually have a bit more fuel in the tank.

S

Sunseeker

All of the above. Ideally I like to participate in two games simultaneously, usually that means playing in one and running one.

Games I play in range from anything from one-shots, to short adventures, to mega-campaigns that last years. Games I run in are usually mega-campaigns broken up into smaller segments to allow for ease of playing.

Argyle King

Legend
Choose the type that best matches your previous three games.

Honestly, that still doesn't help me answer the poll. My previous three games consist(ed) of an adventure path, a short campaign, and a long (multiple-year) campaign which is still going.

I'll also add that -when GMing- I lean toward something of a sandbox style, so it's potentially possible for more than one of those options to be covered in the same game. How? The core characters of a game might be in it for the long haul, but there may be other PCs which come into the mix which branch off into their own stories which might be told through adventure paths, a one shot adventure, or something else.

Mattachine

Adventurer
Sorry about the limiting nature of the poll, but with the small sample set generated on EN World, a poll with highly divided responses isn't likely to show a trend other than "people play different ways."

If you play in many types of games/campaigns, then you are in the "Other" category.

I created the poll because I am curious to see what sorts of games most folks on EN World play in--will the new edition cater to the needs of those folks? For example, in long campaigns character strongholds matter more than in games in which stand-alone adventures are used.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I think the game is designed for campaign play - whatever that may mean for you and yours.

Convention games and one offs are fun, but they ultimately feel a little light for me.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I also think D&D is built for campaigns, no matter how long they last. A bit of world building, some character development and you are ready to go.

Most of my games last a year or more, and are usually not adventure paths.

I think Next should focus on campaigns and not one shots.

Quickleaf

Legend
The last several campaigns I've been part of have all been short (around 9 months).

But I would much rather be part of one long ongoing game... Some day. B-)

Ahnehnois

First Post
I typically run campaigns that last on the order of slightly less than a year (apparently, this is "short"), with a series of one-shots (or two- or three-shots) in other systems or with other DMs mixed in.

I can't say that I ever understood the campaign/adventure distinction. If it lasts longer than three sessions or so, I'd call it a campaign. I don't subdivide campaigns, they just run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads