• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Type of Campaign You Play

What type of D&D campaign do you usually play?

• Short campaigns (year or less)

Votes: 50 30.7%
  • Long campaigns (over a year)

Votes: 83 50.9%
  • Adventure paths or "Mega-Adventures"

Votes: 21 12.9%
  • Stand-alone adventures, "One-shots"

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Pickup games, Conventions, Tournaments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 4.3%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
19-23 (ish) - college age. Again, people move around and go off to school. Maybe you go away to school yourself. So, you've got this honking big break in the summer where half your group is all over the place and when you come back in the next year, who knows if your schedules match up again.
This is when I met the people who are still the core of our gaming crew far-too-many years later. Sure, there was loads of turnover as well, then and later; but the core survived.

Of course, it helps greatly if you go to a local college. :)

Back when I was gaming in uni, campaigns lasted about 8 months because that's when school let out.
Yep, definitely different paths here: the two major campaigns we started in university both lasted over 10 years. A few other attempts lasted a mere few sessions. I can't think of any whose duration was dictated by the school year.

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
Well, in my group anyway, we had about six or seven players (including the DM) and 4 or 5 of us went away during the summer break in university. And, it wasn't even a case of being able to continue play on some weekend or other, it was, "I'm going to be several thousand kilometers away and gone for 16 weeks, umm, no gaming for me. Although, to be fair, I used to bring my Basic/Expert games with me and get a short term game going in the mess once in a while.

After the hiatus, we just went on to new campaigns. Usually new games, or just new characters.

It wasn't until quite recently that I ever got a campaign to go more than a year or so.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I went for Long, I have a Planescape campaign that's been going since 2005 (characters started at 3rd level, are now 17th), but's been in hiatus for 2 years, and an off-and-on solo (one character/player) campaign going since 1988.

Mattachine

Adventurer
What about 'organized play' like LFR or Encounters or Pathfinder Society?

These are either ongoing campaigns of some length (LFR) or like conventions/tournaments (like Encounters).

I could have made a poll with much higher granularity, but I wanted a general idea. I prefer "bins" to "pigeonholes".

The Red King

First Post
My campaign is into its second year, but this has been rare. Other GM's don't have that kind of staying power, or would rather play a PC. And thats cool with me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads