• Dissatisfied, major tweaks would be needed

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Very dissatisfied, even with houserules and tweaks it wouldn't work

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Ambivalent/don't play/other

Votes: 4 4.9%

jgsugden

Legend
Eldritch blast is essentially a feature that they let you opt out of, or let you opt to diminish in favor of extra tricks. It is not overpowered. Yes, d10+d6+3 at 2nd level is solid, but 4d10+4d6+20 (if you devote a spell slot to hex) at 17th level is about as much as a big weapon melee character does in 2 attacks unmodified. I find my high level warlocks don't use it very often, instead using their warlock spell slots, a staff, or spells - . They just use it to finish off a foe or to push an enemy around a bit if we need to maneuver them.

In a recent adventure, my 17th level warlock (with a Staff of Frost, Pearl of Power and Rod of the Pact Keeper +2)

Combat 1: He True Polymorphed into a Dragon and fought as a dragon.
Combat 2: Still a dragon. Roar.
Combat 3: Rd 1: Banishment for 2 enemies. Rd 2: Staff of Frost for Cone of Cold. Rd 3: Eldritch Blast - knocked a giant off a cliff. Rd 4: Eldritch blast to help finish off last combatant.
Short Rest.
Combat 4: Dominate Monster. That ended the battle versus a solo monster.
Combat 5: Rd 1: Mass Suggestion. Rd 2: Cone of Cold. Rd 3: Plane Shift vs enemy. Rd 4, 5 and 6: Eldritch blast versus trapped foes.
Combat 6: Rd 1: Banishment vs 2 enemies. Rd 2: Banishment again (concentration lapse). Rd 3: Misty Step and Eldritch Blast.
Long Rest.

This isn't true either. Warlocks came into existence as a class in 2e (DM's Option Spells and Magic). Their shtick was the ability to cast spells at a higher level at the risk of attracting their pact creature and gradually transforming into a demonic creature in 5 stages of progression. It was not specific to damage at all.

3e, or 4e may have focused on DPR blasters, but it's not true to say it has been that way since their existence.

Weak strawman arguments don't help the strength of your argument at all.

Not to interrupt an argument, but I would say 4e's warlock was more about the curse/hex then eldritch blast (which is what you used when you ran out of encounter and daily powers) [and honestly, it was mostly about creepy powers.] I forgot about the 2e warlock, but that is a pretty cool gimmick: no surer way to get your soul than to turn you into a demon.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Your opinions are stupid. If a warlock does nothing but spam Eldritch Blast, that's a problem with the player, not the class. Warlocks don't function the same as other casters with full spell slot progression, so they can't spam spells like them. If you find me spamming only EBs in fights, its probably because your enemies aren't threatening enough. The bigger problem is a player who thinks the only spell worth spending their slots on is Hex.

Why the hate on spamming the same attacks? Most martials do that all the time. Is it a problem that a Champion Fighter spams his greatsword on every enemy? Or a hunter ranger who spams bolts/arrows no matter what he/she is fighting?

So I guess we are both glad you don't play in my campaign. That's fine.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Just like removing weapons and armor makes a fighter think! Brilliant design. Take away EB and you basically have poor man's bard. Less utility, skills and spells. A paragon of design!

They have a great cantrip because its their fallback from having so few spells. The fault was not making it a class feature.

So I guess we are both glad you don't play in my campaign. That's fine.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Not to interrupt an argument, but I would say 4e's warlock was more about the curse/hex then eldritch blast (which is what you used when you ran out of encounter and daily powers) [and honestly, it was mostly about creepy powers.] I forgot about the 2e warlock, but that is a pretty cool gimmick: no surer way to get your soul than to turn you into a demon.

I've hardly played 4e, so I'll take your word for it. So there you go then. Not only was the warlock not a DPR blaster in it's inception, but it wasn't in the previous edition either.

Dualazi

First Post
I've hardly played 4e, so I'll take your word for it. So there you go then. Not only was the warlock not a DPR blaster in it's inception, but it wasn't in the previous edition either.

It was absolutely still a blaster in 4e, and a pretty good one once the supplements and feats down the line helped address some of its initial deficiencies. The thing that elevates 4e above 5e warlocks was that the pact boons had a lot more play style effects, like infernal warlocks getting reliable temp HP to make them more durable, and feylocks getting more invisibility and teleports. One of my big problems with the 5e warlock is that your patron seems a lot less baked into the class, and is really dependent on the player choosing options around that theme. I've seen way more people discuss the differences between bladelocks and chainlocks than I have infernal and fey varieties, for example, and that's a bummer.

Ultimately I voted dissatisfied, both for the above reasons and for the fact that warlock was designed in such a way that makes them an incredibly attractive option for dipping multiclass builds to get access to EB or charisma based shillelagh.

Warlocks are fun to play, great chassis for multi-classing, can be powerful too. Though the number of short rests per game can be subjective. Mostly Satisfied but...

1. More invocations (that are not once per day and also consumes a spell slot)
2. More Patron options
3. Bladelock needs improvements to be a viable/sensible option for Warlocks
4. Pact of chain improvement on higher level - great utility ability this loses steam at higher levels

I have highlighted some improvements but I'd also like to explain the perks and fun that I experienced in being a warlock.

1. In negotiations my warlock gets to be the face of the party
- deception, persuasion, at-will illusions

2. Scout of the party because of my imp/pseudodragon (pact of chain)
- ambushes can always be prevented
- we get to ambush unsuspecting enemies

3. My familiar gets to explore hidden passages, aid in disarming traps (with criminal background) and even steal items with our Rogue

4. In combat - my warlock gets to debuff, curse and shoot from a very long range and ignores 1/2 and 3/4 covers (spell sniper feat)

It's fun! :)

Aldarc

Legend
No, it definitely was a blaster in 4E. It even had the "Striker" role, which is the role for bursters and blasters. It's just that everyone in 4E had encounter, daily, and at-will powers to balance around, so the warlock - like other classes - typically would unload their series of encounter powers before resorting to their at-will powers, like Eldritch Blast.

Pauln6

Hero
I sacrificed eldritch blast because we had another warlock in our group plus a monk (power builder player) who had magic initiate. It felt so dull with all three of us blasting away every round. I'd like some pact boons to enhance other warlock cantrips a little bit.

That and I really want a proper shadow pact. Every edition they seem to withhold shadow magic until near the end, dammit.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'll throw in my .02

I am currently playing a Rogue 1/Warlock 3 in the Out of the Abyss campaign. I'm not power gaming it (I rolled my background/race/class randomly at first level). Even though I started as a rogue (who picked Persuasion and Deception as my two GOOD skills) I chose the Warlock to gain levels in because....
1. I could gain the ability to see in the dark with my human in an Underdark campaign.
2. I could get the ability to alter my looks "at will" to enhance my Persuasion/Deception attempts.
3. The ability to telepathically communicate with anyone (despite not knowing the language) is awesome for bargaining with enemies while not actually attacking OR revealing myself. Also awesome for talking to oddball friendlies that do not speak common.
4. Eventually I can supplement my oddball powers with rituals of all sorts we find along the way.

I feel the warlock is a GREAT support character as written, however I do have ONE wish for improving it....

The cantrip selection for warlocks (even when choosing from other characters lists with the tome) leaves you with TONS of cantrips at your disposal, most of which never get used. I would love to see some in-combat cantrips available to warlocks (and other lists as well) that you could use to get bonuses and perks but not necessarily deal damage. I would love the oft-maligned Blade Ward (I think) if I could just cast it on another party member. Same with True Strike. There is a LOT of design space for offensive/defensive cantrips I wish had been explored.

DS

Remove ads