• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poll: Which Wizard 5th daily is best?

Best 5th level daily for wizards?

Kraydak

First Post
Incenjucar said:
Only reason I can see going for Bigby's Cold Hand is you if you're working the cold damage type with the applicable feats and such.

Being able to immobilize them is only really great if they're taking damage while immobile, and lacking both luck and larceny, I can't check to see if you have any good options for holding someone down in a bog of doom.

brehobit forgot to mention the fact that Bigby's Icy Grasp does damage every round to held people (d8+int). It's that damage+control aspect which made me vote for Bigby's over Stinking Cloud.

Incenjucar

Legend
Kraydak said:
brehobit forgot to mention the fact that Bigby's Icy Grasp does damage every round to held people (d8+int). It's that damage+control aspect which made me vote for Bigby's over Stinking Cloud.

Personally I'd get it anyway, but I would be abusing Cold-based feats to get a +6 to that damage after the first round.

It's really a decision I would make based on the rest of the party and their tactics.

AOE damage can be pretty nasty for your group if most of your damage is done in melee, while ranged attackers have so much to gain from Web...

baberg

First Post
Icy Grasp's sustain also deals damage per turn on the order of 1d8+INT. So really you've got:

Int vs. Reflex, 2d8+INT damage
If the target breaks free, you can re-grab him for another Int vs. Reflex, 2d8+INT
If the target is still in your grasp, he takes 1d8+INT.

This effectively takes you out of the fight (sustain is minor, moving hand is move, and grabbing is standard) but for the entirety of the fight you've got a repeating 2d8+INT damage (plus immobilizing the target) at level 5. That's pretty strong, and you don't have to worry about allies getting caught up in the cloud like you do with Web or Stinking Cloud.

Destil

Explorer
You get 2. I'd take fireball and web... best damage dealer and best area control power. Choose each day which you'll need more. Or take the feat and get 3 of the four (I'd drop fireball if I had the other three to choose from...)

Last edited:

Dark080matter

First Post
Destil said:
You get 2. I'd take fireball and web... best damage dealer and best area control power. Choose each day which you'll need more. Or take the feat and get 3 of the four (I'd drop fireball if I had the other three to choose from...)

Yeah, take a feat and maximize your potential options... and that's the perfect answer coming from a Red Mage! (cool avatar Destil!)

Personally though, I would already be suffering cranial problems just deciding between the TWO daily powers regularly, so I'll have to say split the difference between Stinking Cloud and Web (for all the reason Ridley's Cohort mentioned) .

Saitou

First Post
It's a very tough choice, but thankfully Wizards choose two and prepare one per day. So let's analyze each.

Bigby's Icy Grasp is the best choice for sustained damage to a single target. This seems to go counter to the Controller mantra, but it'll make you the Rogue's best friend, since they can Sneak Attack the as long as you have them restrained. Also, cold-abusing feats.

Fireball may seem nerfed even in comparison to other powers, but it deals damage to an area seven squares to a side. That's very, very significant. This is the Minion Soufflè Maker.

Stinking Cloud is also an area attack, but five squares to a side, and deals fewer damage (and no damage on a miss). However, you can sustain it, and you can move it. This is good, but if you want to hit the frontline, you'll also be hitting your teammates. This is bad. But the sustaining is so good, it still makes it a very worthwile option to unleash on any pesky Artillery that might abound, forcing them to get outta Dodge or get closer to your front line.

Web. It's Web. It's still awesome. However, the area is smaller, five squares to a side, and can't be moved. Very useful on Skirmishers, and your Ranger or Warlock will thank you for making sitting ducks.

I see two groups here. The area damage spells, and the immobilising spells. Pick one of each, you can't go wrong. Prepare either as you see fit.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads