Poll: Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 126 87.5%

WhatGravitas

Explorer
This feat is... well, what would such an item cost? As single-use... based on quickened psionic revivify: About 8,650 gp. Good price as a amulet or something. And there's the problem: For a low-level character, the feat is actually awesome, because it is the equivalent of about 10k of cash. For a high-level character? Nothing even worth looking at it.

The feat is great in a low-to-mid-level one-shot... and I like it. Very much. But I don't know if I'd rather find something else...

Perhaps it should scale, like for every Xth level, you gain another use of it. The action point activation is nice. Or instead of making it a feat, allow characters to take flaws, whenever they're killed to get the effect.

Agamon

Adventurer
Yeah, that's a badly designed feat. It would make a better magic item. Diehard, while different, is a better feat.

Sejs

First Post
wingsandsword said:
What about Action Points and feats that require them to use? You only get so many of those points ever as well, and if you run out of those points, those feats are dead in the water.
Can't really say, as I'm not familiar with the Action Point rules.

How many Action Points does a character have and how do they accrue? Because if you just get one or two at the outset and you can never gain any more, then no I wouldn't touch a feat that required their use with a ten foot pole.

maggot

First Post
I'd consider it at low levels if it were once/day and then retrain it away via the PHB2 rules. At higher levels, your body on the ground it going to be fireballed or something, and then you are just going to die again.

But really, I'm much rather have a feat that lets me do something cool than have a feat that lets my character that doesn't do something cool live a little longer. Without this feat, I can just die and build a new character with some new cool abilities, with this feat, I die and have to play the same guy again and all the time with one less feat.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Sejs said:
How many Action Points does a character have and how do they accrue? Because if you just get one or two at the outset and you can never gain any more, then no I wouldn't touch a feat that required their use with a ten foot pole.
You get a fixed amount every level, like 5 + 1/2 level or so. It resets every level, so you cannot accumulate them, so it is encouraged to use them before you get a new level, since they'd be lost.

Read here more about them. Also note, that in the only "official" product, i.e. Eberron, you can only use "Add to a Roll", "Activate a Class Ability", and "Stabilize", as well as doing Artificer Infusions a bit faster.

Sejs

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
You get a fixed amount every level, like 5 + 1/2 level or so. It resets every level, so you cannot accumulate them, so it is encouraged to use them before you get a new level, since they'd be lost.

Read here more about them. Also note, that in the only "official" product, i.e. Eberron, you can only use "Add to a Roll", "Activate a Class Ability", and "Stabilize", as well as doing Artificer Infusions a bit faster.

Aah okay. That's not nearly so bad compared to the Once And Only Once nature of the proposed feat here, then.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Nope. Do like this one though and a friend in my group has used it frequently:

FEARLESS DESTINY [RACIAL]
Your grand destiny allows you to avoid death.
Prerequisites: Human or half-human, Heroic Destiny, character level 6th.
Benefit: Once per day, any effect that would reduce you to –10 hit points or fewer instead reduces you to –9 hit points and leaves you in a stable condition.

Effects that kill you without reducing you to –10 hit points (such as death effects or disintegrate) function normally.

Heroic Destiny allows you to add +1d6 to a roll 1/day, IIRC.

hong

WotC's bitch
Not as written, no.

Now one big DEFENSIVE benefit, once per encounter, would be cool.

Unyielding Soul

Prereqs: Con 13, Wis 13, Cha 13 [plus anything else deemed appropriate]

Once per encounter, you can ignore an attack, spell or effect that would kill you or reduce you to below 0 hit points. In the case of an ongoing effect (for example a cloudkill spell, gaze attack, etc) you are still subject to the effect in subsequent rounds.

A way to tone down the "open with the nukes" style of D&D combat.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
IcyCool said:
That sounds remarkably like the human racial feat in Races of Destiny, except I think it was usable once a day. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Oh, missed this post. I posted it above. :)

Remove ads