Poll: Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 126 87.5%

EyeontheMountain

First Post
No, never. Once in my lifetime? Feats are too valuable for that, and it only takes you to -9. If it healed me totally, I might take it, or at least consider it. That would be more balanced.

And I would not allow anyone to retrain it away after using it, either :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Never. Instead, I'd just play in my game, where players can drop a number of their swashbuckling cards to have their PCs survive a killing blow/effect by dropping to -9 hp and stable.

DarkJester

First Post
I wouldn't take it. As vital and rare as feats are it just isn't worth it. It's very out of character (But eh, feats are an out of character decision anyhow) but Raise dead seems a more viable option to me.

Nyeshet

First Post
The idea has merit, but the crunch lacketh . . .

This is a nice idea, but as it is presented I would not take it.

Hmm, how about something like the following:

You go through some religious ritual, sacrificing perhaps 100xp * your current level at a location (very) sacred to your deity. Later, should you die, you awaken the morning of the next day to find yourself a level lower and in the place where you performed the ritual, irregardless of the distance or even the plane upon which you died (so long as your deity can access that plane - if you die on the turf of an enemy deity, too bad).

The feat would be called something like: Sacred Revenance, and it would open the option to perform and gain the benefit of the prior stated ritual. The body in which you awake is not the flesh you formerly wore, so all gear is gone (although a nice quest now can exist to go retrieve it).

Hmm, maybe you should return at the level at which you did the ritual - raising the issue of re-performing the ritual each time a level is gained or risking returning a (much) lower level than before.

Each time the character was restored in this manner, they would owe their deity a quest worthy of their (current) level or slightly harder. Only with the permission of their deity (as determined by a divination from a high priest, etc or - at higher levels - by the deity itself) could this quest be put aside (while the current party quest / mission is accomplished). Until this quest is completed the ritual cannot be performed again (thus preventing another auto-raising should they die again).

Anyway, a feat that allowed you to return (for a significant price) that could be used more than once is a worthy feat in my view. The above idea is a bit too strong, perhaps, although some might argue that considering the 10% of xp for the next level per each level gained cost, level loss upon raising, and requirement of a quest for the feat to ever work again balance it out.

Hmm, it should likely have another feat as a pre-req, something that could not be taken at first level except perhaps by clerics. I don't want to necessitate a divine feat, as that would limit the class to divine casters, but some type of feat showing a religious devotion would work well, I think.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm not fond of character abilities that have limited uses and cannot be used again*... In magic item it's ok, but I don't like them in characters, so I voted "no". But I probably would allow a player to take such a feat if they wanted to, I don't think it's broken or anything, it's just not something of my taste.

*as an example, I don't like Action Points that are used up and never refresh (like d20 Modern?), but I'm ok with Action Points that can be always reset (like Void Points in Rokugan)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a feat, I think it really depends on how deadly the game is supposed to be. If characters drop like flies, then this isn't all that useful - one shot of saving your bacon takign up a feat slot when really, you're likely to die in three more sessions anyway.

If characters rarely die, such that avoiding it when it does come is campaign-shaping, then perhaps.

Unearthed Arcana's Actions points already allow you to spend a measly one to stabilize yourself. I would think that simply asking you to spend a couple more to save your bacon woudl be more appropriate than a feat.

Engilbrand

First Post
Here's an idea: Must be taken at 1st. Once every 4 levels, you can immediately Stabilize at -9 if you would otherwise be killed. At 12th level, you may keep yourself from dropping below 1 hp. This replaces the previous ability. At 20th level, and every 5 levels after, you may use this feat when you would otherwise die to regain all hit points on your next turn.
So, at level 20, if the Fighter has 30 hp and a Dragon does 50 damage to him, he's down until his turn happens again. (White light hits him or whatever.) Suddenly, he stands up and is fully recharged and can take his action as normal.
You now have a feat that gets gradually better and becomes worth it at 20th level. And, it still improves into Epic levels.

Remove ads