Poll: Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

Would you ever take this feat as a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 126 87.5%

Aus_Snow

First Post
Clarification: I would probably only ever take this feat once, for a 1st level PC, if it suited the character I had in mind (or maybe the campaign, to some extent). . . or if my whim dictated so. Heck, I've been known to take +2/+2 skill feats at times. :D

Would I include it in my long list of [outside-of-core] feats, when GMing? No.

Arkhandus

First Post
Nope. Not worth it. With all the times you can expect you'll die at upper levels and have to be Resurrected, it's not worth a feat to merely avoid death once in your entire adventuring career, at a time when someone (or a stray Fireball/Acid Cloud/Meteor Swarm) could just as easily finish you off anyway......it just ain't worth it.

As the peak ability of a paladin-esque prestige class in my Rhunaria campaign, the Deathless Warrior of Riza, I gave them an ability to revive from death once in a while, by the grace of their strict devotion to the ascended Rizan pharaohs and the Ineffable. Deathless Warriors get only mediocre combat ability and little utility, just some limited immunities (death effects, frex) and very limited healing for allies (doesn't work on themselves). But it pays off in the end, and at least the PrC renders them immune to a few fun-killing status effects.

[sblock]Revivification (Su): Upon gaining 10th-level in this prestige class, a Deathless Warrior becomes seemingly unstoppable. They can escape death from nearly any circumstance, at least frequently enough to confound their enemies. The Deathless Warrior henceforth suffers no level loss, experience point loss, or Constitution loss upon returning to life. The Deathless Warrior can never become an undead, whether they wish it or not. When restored to life in any form by any other effect, besides animation as an undead since that is impossible, the Deathless Warrior is returned to life in their own body if possible and not excessively dangerous (as noted below), or is given a new body exactly like their old one. In the latter case, any surviving equipment from their old body appears with them. Either way, they remain alive normally even if the effect that restored them would only have kept them alive temporarily or partially. These benefits are not supernatural, nor extraordinary, more like a natural result of the character's faith.

As a supernatural ability, however, the Deathless Warrior of 10th-level is automatically returned to life 1 round after dying, whenever they die, as long as their soul still exists and is not trapped outside their own body by some particular item or force. Death by aging cannot be undone. They return to life with current hit points of up to 2 per hit die, their body magically recreated on the spot of their death if necessary. If their body was destroyed or is in a deadly location, such as within a lava flow, or the area of effect for an active spell that causes damage (or death, poison, disease, curses, paralysis, sleep, or unconsciousness), or a pit of venomous snakes, then a new body is created for them at the nearest relatively safe location.

If any ability scores were at 0 or effectively so when the Deathless Warrior perished, each ability score of 0 is restored to a score of 1 as a result of this revival (temporary ability damage is removed first, then permanent damage, then ability drain, if necessary). Their temporary death does not interrupt the duration of any spells, powers, item abilities, or other effects upon the Deathless Warrior, unless specified otherwise in the description of that item, spell, power, or ability. The return to life in this manner does not take any action on the part of the Deathless Warrior, so the Deathless Warrior may take their usual full round of actions afterward in the same round they revive, although other effects may reduce or limit the Deathless Warrior's actions per round. Each year, the Deathless Warrior will only return to life in this way up to one time per point of positive Wisdom or Charisma modifier, whichever is highest, to a minimum of once per year (that is, if they die at all during any given year).

The Deathless Warrior may also choose to give up one of their self-revivals for the year in order to revive a fallen ally, if that ally perished within the last 2 rounds. Doing so is a supernatural ability that takes a standard action to use, and does not draw attacks of opportunity. The Deathless Warrior must touch the ally to be revived, and the ally is restored in exactly the same manner that the Deathless Warrior would be, except that they do not benefit from the Deathless Warrior's own immunity to level loss, experience loss, and Constitution loss from returning to life. Thus, the revived ally loses 1 level, retaining enough experience to be halfway between levels, or instead loses 1 Constitution point permanently if they are only 1st-level.

An aberration, construct, or undead cannot be revived in this way, nor can any creature that is of an alignment more than two steps removed from that of the Deathless Warrior. Thus, a lawful good Deathless Warrior cannot revive chaotic neutral, chaotic evil, or neutral evil creatures, whereas a lawful evil Deathless Warrior cannot revive chaotic neutral, chaotic good, or neutral good creatures, and a lawful neutral Deathless Warrior simply cannot revive chaotic evil or chaotic good creatures. Deathless Warriors often consider allies saved in this manner to owe them a serious debt of honor, since it means the Deathless Warrior's life may be forfeit later that year (or very soon) if a dangerous enemy or catastrophe strikes.[/sblock]

Aus_Snow

First Post
Ah, there's another thing colouring my preference. I'm so used to playing and running things where death is more than a speed bump (i.e., raise dead and co. are not so cheap, easy, available, casual, whatever) that I kind of forgot how things would otherwise be.

So, in otherwise standard D&D 3e. . . maybe not.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
hong said:
Right.

That's why my current PC has +18 init and a 1/encounter 200-point damage attack

Heck, most of my group's high-level fights are rather short, as we all open our individual cans of whoop-ass at once.

They only get extended when the DM starts bringing in reserves.

Brad

Lord Tirian said:

My bad, it's the Renewal Domain (FRCS):

WOTC said:
Granted Powers: If you fall below 0 hit points, you regain a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your Charisma modifier. This supernatural ability functions once per day. If an attack brings you to -10 or fewer hit points, you die before this power takes effect.

Like I said, similar but usable much more often.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I wouldn't take it.

If it were changed to:

Your character receives two benefits from this feat. First, (1 + X/5) times per level {where X represents character level and you round all fractions down (or up if you are generous) } your character is automatically stabalized at -9 HP by any attack that drops the character to -10 or below. Additionally, the character is protected by a Santuary spell until the character's HP total is greater than zero. The number of uses reset at each new level so they would not be cumulative.

Then I might consider it.

But even then probably not because I kind of like creating new characters. :)

Remove ads