• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Polymorph and a Box

BoldItalic

First Post
Logically, the spell can never end so you are forced to maintain concentration on it indefinitely. You cannot cast another spell that requires you to maintain concentration until you resolve the situation by releasing the creature from the box.

mellored

Legend
The box and the creature both take the same amount of damage, until one breaks. More expensive boxes deal more damage, and essential becomes an expensive consumable consumable component. Consider dropping them off a cliff instead, or having a second caster cast fly. Or surround them with alchemists fire.

Putting something on the ethereal plane or pocket dimension, and it comes back when the spell ends. Suggestion "get in the box" is a few levels lower.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
My alternative solution is for my pixie familar to polymorph someone into a snail and then fly up as high it can and drop the snail. Falling damage is potent.

snickersnax

Explorer
My alternative solution is for my pixie familar to polymorph someone into a snail and then fly up as high it can and drop the snail. Falling damage is potent.

OK, so this is going too far :) By house rules, I would definitely not allow 20d6 falling damage for creatures smaller than medium in spite of RAW.

See exhibit 1: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/science/are-bugs-hurt-in-falls-from-high-rises.html?mcubz=1

where you will find this wonderful quote:

“You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft; and, on arriving at the bottom, it gets a slight shock and walks away, provided that the ground is fairly soft. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes.”

plisnithus8

Adventurer
OK, so this is going too far :) By house rules, I would definitely not allow 20d6 falling damage for creatures smaller than medium in spite of RAW.

See exhibit 1: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/08/science/are-bugs-hurt-in-falls-from-high-rises.html?mcubz=1

where you will find this wonderful quote:

“You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft; and, on arriving at the bottom, it gets a slight shock and walks away, provided that the ground is fairly soft. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes.”

RAW doesn't seem to have anything preventing the falling damage on a snail, but the Sprite could just cast fly on my eldritch knight (20 Strength) who grapples the enemy then flies as high as he can and drops the enemy on a boulder (providing for a not soft surface).

snickersnax

Explorer
RAW doesn't seem to have anything preventing the falling damage on a snail, but the Sprite could just cast fly on my eldritch knight (20 Strength) who grapples the enemy then flies as high as he can and drops the enemy on a boulder (providing for a not soft surface).

What prevents the enemy from grappling your eldritch knight while he is grappled? Preventing the EK from flying up in the air and/or also avoiding falling or taking the EK with him?

plisnithus8

Adventurer
What prevents the enemy from grappling your eldritch knight while he is grappled? Preventing the EK from flying up in the air and/or also avoiding falling or taking the EK with him?

On my turn I grapple and move him into the air. He's free to try to grapple against my 20 Strength, but I don't see how he could prevent being lifted or move me once he's in the air. Then when I'm ready, I let go. DM might rule he gets a reaction to grapple back, but then it just becomes a series of grapple checks. I just need to succeed on one (with 20 Strength), and he falls. I have 10 minutes of flight, but - taking my into account time flying up and back down - there are plenty of opportunties to win a grapple contest.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Instead of worrying about putting the poly-ed-to-snail foe into a box just drop it several feet down a small crack in the bedrock, then walk away a few yards and end the spell. You should see a brief geyser of blood...

As for the poly-then-drop-from-height idea...wouldn't it be easier just to either a) fly out over some deep water and drop, or b) just poly the foe into a fish in the first place and leave it where it lies?

This does bring to mind a story: a very long time ago a party I was DMing found a variant of a genie bottle, only this one was more of a prison - rubbing the bottle (actually a teapot) released whoever was inside and sucked in the person who did the rubbing as a replacement. So a PC gets sucked in, and appears in the teapot as a very small version of himself. PC has a magic item that on activation generates a horse. PC generates horse hoping horse can break teapot, so a full-size (!) horse tries to appear inside a small and very magical teapot...

Kaboom.

The rest of the PCs had to wipe the resulting mess off the walls.

Lan-"ah, Pugsley, we hardly knew ye"-efan

mellored

Legend
While fair and true to physics...

the pixie can stop concentrating at any time. So fly the snail up, drop the orc down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads