• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polymorph Question(s)

Marimmar

First Post
I'm a bit unsure about the Polymorph spell.

When I change from dwarf to half-elf, do I still get the +2 Con bonus from being a dwarf, do I still get the racial boni to STs vs poison and spells?

From reading through the Alter Self description I know that the boni to Appraise and Craft (stone related) are lost, but how about the rest?

a confused Marimmar...

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Marimmar said:
When I change from dwarf to half-elf, do I still get the +2 Con bonus from being a dwarf, do I still get the racial boni to STs vs poison and spells?
When polymorphed your normal Str, Dex , and Con scores (to which your racial bonus applied) are replaced with the average score of the creature you polymorphed into, in this case 10, 10 and 10.
Marimmar said:
From reading through the Alter Self description I know that the boni to Appraise and Craft (stone related) are lost, but how about the rest?
From SRD Alter Self
You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.
I believe that this means you lose all of your racial abilities when using Alter Self or Polymorph.

(minor side note the plural of bonus is bonuses)

Marimmar@Home

First Post
Thanx for the info, I really didn't see the passage you referred too (I'm probably in need of a new set of eyes)

Our dwarven wizard will not be happy. :D A nice counter to his extreme min-maxing.

BTW boni is the plural of bonus, just not in english. ;)

Nail

First Post
Marimmar@Home said:
BTW boni is the plural of bonus, just not in english. ;)

And just what language are you speaking, bucko? :p

Your dwarven wizard should give a few more glances over the polymorph spell. It has been seriously nerfed. Nothing but rubberized, happily-colored coating, as far as the eyes can see........

jgsugden

Legend
Nerfed yes, useless no.

People keep on commenting on how much power was taken away from polymorph. They fail to mention how much power remains.

It is still the single best mid-level spell to turn a wizard into a fighting and spellcasting machine.

An 8th level wizard can gain +9 natural armor, reach and strength 25 by turning into an Annis. Yes, your armor will be merged into you, but what wizard needs armor? Yes, your weapon won't grow with you, but you won't need a weapon when you have claws.

Polymorph is still a strong spell. Just not quite as strong. The duration is much shorter, but it is still long enough for multiple connected or adjacent combats.

Nail

First Post
Nerfed doesn't mean useless. It means "made safe for children to play with. NO real danger."

jgsugden said:
It is still the single best mid-level spell to turn a wizard into a fighting and spellcasting machine.

An 8th level wizard can gain +9 natural armor, reach and strength 25 by turning into an Annis.

A wizard that marches into melee combat as an Annis deserves what he gets. The form doesn't give nearly enough AC or hp to survive as a front-line fighter. And the wizard's attack roll will still suck. Two claws and a bite for 1d6 plus strength? Not enough.

Marimmar

First Post
Nail said:
And just what language are you speaking, bucko? :p
Well I was trying to speak english but somehow my german broke through. :)

Nail said:
Your dwarven wizard should give a few more glances over the polymorph spell. It has been seriously nerfed. Nothing but rubberized, happily-colored coating, as far as the eyes can see........

I just now seriously consider writing my players an eMail telling them that they all died last session since their polymorphed wizard, who later saved their behinds, actually perished in a lightning bolt because of a modified Con of 10 and no dwarven save bonuses. I predict a lot of fun. :D

~Marimmar

Iku Rex

Explorer
Marimmar said:
I just now seriously consider writing my players an eMail telling them that they all died last session since their polymorphed wizard, who later saved their behinds, actually perished in a lightning bolt because of a modified Con of 10 and no dwarven save bonuses.
Hit points don't change.

Nail

First Post
Iku Rex said:
Hit points don't change.

All the SRD has to say is:
SRD said:
The subject gains the Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores of the new form but retains its own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.

I don't have my own PH with me. I could have sworn the 3.0e version, at least, didn't change your hp. Does the 3.5e version? Given the text above, I can't see why not.

The Polymorph spell says it's like Alter Self, a spell that does not alter hp. But that spell also doesn't alter your physical ability scores like polymorph does. From the SRD at least, it does look like your hps change with the spell.

Remove ads