Polymorphic Transfer feat (vetoed)

IcyCool

First Post
I noticed that, as we don't have Savage Species available for the "Assume Supernatural Ability" feat, and that the Psionic SRD has an equivalent feat, there was a hole in the arcanists bag of tricks. So here's a feat to fix it. I limited it to polymorph and polymorph any object to keep Elan wizards from Alter Selfing into Chokers and abusing Quickness.

Polymorphic Transfer
Prerequisite: Int 13, caster level 5th
Benefit: Each time you change your form through the polymorph or polymorph any object spells, you gain one of the form's supernatural abilities, if it has any.

You gain only three uses of the polymorphic ability per day, even if the creature into which you polymorph has a higher limit on uses. For instance, if you gain a dragon's breath weapon, you can use that ability only three times before losing access to the ability for the day. (You are still subject to other restrictions on the ability. For example, after you use a dragon's breath weapon, you can't use it again for 1d4 rounds.) The save DC to resist a supernatural ability gained through Polymorphic Transfer (if it is an attack) is 10 + your Cha modifier + 1/2 your hit dice.

No matter how many times you cast the polymorph spells on a given day, you can gain only a total of three supernatural ability transfers per day.
Normal: You cannot use the supernatural abilities of creatures whose form you assume.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you can gain one additional supernatural ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Three uses? What does this mean with respect to the abilities that 99% of people are going to try to assume--special qualities that are always active?

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Three uses? What does this mean with respect to the abilities that 99% of people are going to try to assume--special qualities that are always active?

An excellent question, and one I thought I had asked with respect to the psionic Metamorphic Transfer feat (which this is pretty much identical to). If there has been no clarification on the Metamorphic Transfer feat, then I would propose that the use of such an ability for 1 round be considered a single use for the purposes of this feat.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I read the Psionic feat again and realised that they expect the Su ability to last the whole duration. The limit of three is for total abilities assumed per day over all Polymorphs for the day, no matter how many times you cast Polymorph. The key sentence, which you didn't include in yours, is:
No matter how many times you manifest the metamorphosis power on a given day, you can gain only a total of three supernatural ability transfers per day.

Another weird thing about the Psionic feat is that an Elan Psion3/Wizard3 (going for Cerebro of course) with the Practised Manifester feat qualifies to take it and can use it with Alter Self!

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I read the Psionic feat again and realised that they expect the Su ability to last the whole duration. The limit of three is for total abilities assumed per day over all Polymorphs for the day, no matter how many times you cast Polymorph. The key sentence, which you didn't include in yours, is:

I'll double check, but I don't think that is in my XPH. It's a good addition though, and should be added to the above.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yup, that sentence explains the limit to me a lot more clearly. Did you catch my edit about how the Psionic feat already allows Elans to get Quickness with Alter Self? I discovered that it specifies any form shifting, so it could have been really broken with something that can shift at will without that limit of 3 per day no matter how many castings are applied.

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Yup, that sentence explains the limit to me a lot more clearly. Did you catch my edit about how the Psionic feat already allows Elans to get Quickness with Alter Self? I discovered that it specifies any form shifting, so it could have been really broken with something that can shift at will without that limit of 3 per day no matter how many castings are applied.

Well, that means that the Elan wizard 3/psion 3 with Practiced Manifester (is that available in Living EnWorld? Practiced Spellcaster isn't.) could pull the choker trick off one level earlier than other folks. (It can be done as a 7th level psion).

Rystil Arden

First Post
IcyCool said:
Well, that means that the Elan wizard 3/psion 3 with Practiced Manifester (is that available in Living EnWorld? Practiced Spellcaster isn't.) could pull the choker trick off one level earlier than other folks. (It can be done as a 7th level psion).
There's a thread to get slightly-modded (for flavour mostly) versions of both of them in. Technically, I believe a Wizard4/Psion1 could pull off the trick at 5th-level (because that first level of Psion grants a bonus Psionic feat)

IcyCool

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
There's a thread to get slightly-modded (for flavour mostly) versions of both of them in. Technically, I believe a Wizard4/Psion1 could pull off the trick at 5th-level (because that first level of Psion grants a bonus Psionic feat)

Not without a feat that increases his manifester level to 5 (which, arguably, he couldn't take unless he already had a manifester level).

Remove ads