• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Popular Campaign Settings

Which is your personal favorite campaign setting

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Eberon

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 48 8.2%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Other TSR/WotC setting (explain below)

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • Other 3rd Party Setting (explain below)

Votes: 85 14.6%

Anti-Sean

First Post
I sleep with my Eberron Campaign Setting book under my pillow each night, hoping that some of the pure, undiluted awesomeness inside it will seep into my brain.

The less said about the Hellcow PJ's that I made, the better.

tvknight415

Explorer
Ravenloft! Infinitely flexible (need a new themed land? you find an island in the mists). Can be very dark if you want it to be, or you can make it silly if you desire (ie, Abbot & costello meet Frankenstein or Addams Family).

Eric

Schmoe

Adventurer
I was introduced to Greyhawk only about 5 years ago (and I've been playing over 20 years!), and it's definitely grown on me. My rankings right now would be:

1. Greyhawk
2. Al-Qadim
3. Eberron

Shadowsmith

Explorer
My favorite setting ever published was Al-Qadim. And no, Al-Qadim is not part of Forgotten Realms! That was a silly idea. Magic, religion, and Fate - all are different from those of Forgotten Realms. <sigh> I have always hated the way Forgotten Realms grew by tacking on other published settings - Kara Tur, Mastica, and Al-Qadim.

Now Eberron is really starting to get my interest. Of the currently supported settings it is my favorite with Iron Kingdoms a very close second.

Now, that being said, I'm running a homebrew setting right now. <shrug> My next game will be either the Savage Tide Adventure path in Greyhawk or an Eberron game. Unless, that is, my players finally let me run something like Torg or Space 1889.

Oh, and, Happy Holloween everyone! :cool: :D

Hawkshere

First Post
Thread necromancy on polls like this just suck, in my opinion. Whatever value this poll once may have had is now completely compromised. :\

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Settings

1) Greyhawk. It's just awesome.
2) Ravenloft or Dragonlance. They tie because they're both so well designed as both games and mediums of storytelling.

Eberron has officially taken the place of Forgotten Realms as the campaign setting that sucks the most in my opinion. Sure, there are some cool things about it (I like the fact that high-level characters are rare), but otherwise it's just too generic, too much like a MMORPG (an entire continent that's basically one big dungeon?), and too zany for me to consider running a serious campaign there. I might play a warforged rogue that works for the Khorvaire Express Delivery Company based out of New New Sharn if someone wants to buy us a big green airship, but otherwise I'm not interested.

I don't generally like the Realms because of the logical incongruities. See Power of Faerun for example, where a CR 40 dragon is just chilling out in the mountains. Or the experience I've had where most every FR game I've ever seen has either Drizzt or Elminster or maybe Storm Silverhand as an NPC with the party just because the DM wants to play them. FR has some good material in the older product line, such as RUins of Undermountain or Throne of Bloodstone. Is it just me, or has FR gotten even more Tolkienesque since a certain movie premiered in December 2001? Hmmm...

Remove ads