• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Popular Campaign Settings

Which is your personal favorite campaign setting

• Forgotten Realms

Votes: 121 20.8%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Eberon

Votes: 51 8.7%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 48 8.2%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 89 15.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 22 3.8%
  • Other TSR/WotC setting (explain below)

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • Other 3rd Party Setting (explain below)

Votes: 85 14.6%

glass

(he, him)
drothgery said:
Until some necromancy a few days ago, this thread was over two years old. It was originally posted in June of 2004, when Eberron was just released, and had no posts between July of 2004 and this month. I suspect Eberron would be top-3 now.
Confused the hell outa me for a minute, that did. What is it with all the thread necromancy ATM. Halloween? :D

glass.

glass

(he, him)
TerraDave said:
No screwup. The word published did not appear in the question.
Indeed not. In that case, I did screw up. My favourite is 'Pelhorin', my very own homebrew.

glass.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
I am very surprised at how little love Eberon is getting...

Look at the date on the OP. Back when the poll was first posted, there was much fear and loathing still going on.

Voadam

Legend
Gilladian said:
If I were given a chance to say "THIS is the setting I'd like to play in", I would choose either Nyambe or "that north american one with the witches" whose name I can't remember!

Both are different enough from a standard campaign world to really pique my curiosity, but seem as if they'd be too much work to try to run myself...

Northern Crown has witches in it? I'll want to check it out more then. Thanks for the heads up.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I voted other, third party campaign setting.

My favorite setting is Wilderlands of High Fantasy by Judge's Guild / Necromancer Games.

After that, the other ones I like are Planescape, Eberron, and my old homebrew. As far as worlds go, I also really like the Warhammer fantasy world, but that's not D&D.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I've played most of the settings listed, with the exception of Spelljammer and Dragonlance. Greyhawk is and will probably always be my favorite for a number of reasons. First, Greyhawk is all about D&D. It is a fantasy world designed for the game and hence, it has something to offer almost everyone. But one of the best parts about Greyhawk is its adaptability. With Forgotten Realms, you have a lot of players who will be steamed if you retcon the Time of Troubles and say all the gods survived. They read the novels and they know the stories and play the game to participate in stories they already know (maybe not all of them, but that is my general impression of FR players). However, with Greyhawk, there is no huge body of literature or detailed source manuals to tell you what color bricks are used in the buildings of the southside of Safeton. Who has ever even HEARD of Safeton? Exactly.

Greyhawk is a skeleton. It isn't the most heavily detailed campaign setting around, but it is a consistent setting and one that is easily malleable to the DM's wishes. You can run almost any kind of campaign in Greyhawk and make any number of changes without grossly disrupting canon. In that way, every DM can make Greyhawk his own and provide a unique experience for his players. Giving the DM flexibility is what makes a really great D&D game, and Greyhawk is designed for that, so it's consequently the best campaign setting.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Personally, I like homebrew settings. Specifically my homebrew. Since we're talking about published settings, I'd have to give Greyhawk props for being so customizable. Mystara was also great back in the old Rules Cyclopedia days.

As far as my favorite published settings, though, I really liked Birthright. But what I liked even more was...Council of Wyrms.

That's right. Council of Wyrms. Fire away.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads