• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Possible Epic .....

steelshark

First Post
Can I still join ?

char: elven wizard type

(is complete divine, races of the wild allowed ? if so, then i'd like to take racial substitution lvls of elven wizard and dweomerkeeper prc)

what lvl will we start ? *g*

Endur

First Post
I like playing epic games. The problem comes in when if I'm playing King Conan, who are the other party members? Are we playing a game of "We Three Kings of Orient" or are we playing a game where one character is more epic than others (i.e. Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings, etc.).

If we're playing a game of "We Three Kings", then we all have lands and responsibilities. How do we find the time to go gallavanting amongst the planes? Why don't we send others to go fix our problems?

Ferrix

Explorer
For anyone who is going to run an epic game there are a few recommendations I'll make, as my experience with prior games has generally shown.

Make the premise of the game clear (plane hopping, epic quest against evil, etc.)

List all the sources you'll allow without question (the smaller, the easier to deal with)
List sources you'll allow on a by-approval basis
List stuff you won't allow explicitly
Say if you are using errata or not.

List races you think appropriate for the game. (i.e. all humanoids is easier to deal with than a mind flayer, a dragon, a gelatinous cube and a human).

Make attribute generation explicit (higher point buy works well at epic levels)
Give an XP amount rather than a level.
Give a GP amount for wealth. State how much they can spend on items.

Be careful allowing custom items, they open a giant can of worms. (let me reiterate this again, GIANT!)

Ditch epic spellcasting & psionics (too much hassle and generally breakable)

Make interpretations explicit on questionable stuff early

Be especially careful of anything that would remove expensive costs of XP, Gold, metamagic spell increases, (dweomerkeeper supernatural spell, divine metamagic, as examples)

Be wary of persistent spell.

Spellcasters can easily dominate in epic games, be sure to make all characters feel on equal footing.

Be the final arbiter, don't let players debate stuff, it gets out of hand.

Last edited:

Ferrix

Explorer
Endur said:
I like playing epic games. The problem comes in when if I'm playing King Conan, who are the other party members? Are we playing a game of "We Three Kings of Orient" or are we playing a game where one character is more epic than others (i.e. Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings, etc.).

If we're playing a game of "We Three Kings", then we all have lands and responsibilities. How do we find the time to go gallavanting amongst the planes? Why don't we send others to go fix our problems?

I think this relates to the comment I just made about premise.

Characters shouldn't be tied down and have so many responsibilities that they can't adventure, this is also up to the player to design their character so that they would want to adventure even at epic levels.

I'd also rather that we were all on the same general page (thus no gandalf among mere mortals).

steelshark

First Post
@Ferrix: hmmm no dweomerkeeper ? I know supernatural spell can be abused to cast wish (or any other spell with high xp or gp components) without paying the xp. I DO know other dirty tricks, however....doesn't actually using them take the challenge out of it ?

Would it be unbalaced to replace the ability of the dweomerkeeper with something else ?

how about some bonus feats ?? maybe 2 bonus metamagics ?

Ferrix

Explorer
steelshark said:
@Ferrix: hmmm no dweomerkeeper ? I know supernatural spell can be abused to cast wish (or any other spell with high xp or gp components) without paying the xp. I DO know other dirty tricks, however....doesn't actually using them take the challenge out of it ?

Would it be unbalaced to replace the ability of the dweomerkeeper with something else ?

how about some bonus feats ?? maybe 2 bonus metamagics ?

I've played a dweomerkeeper in epic with supernatural spell as written and it was breaking the cake.

I think what needs to be observed in an epic game is no overly cheap dirty tricks, they bring the focus away from the fun of epic play to the easily over-extended crunch of epic play. Stuff that would to me fall under cheap dirty tricks is a lot of the tweaked-out stuff on the Wizards Min/Max board. Making an optimal character to me is fine, making a character which is heads and tails above others due to a handful of overpowered abilities isn't.

steelshark said:
Can I still join ?

char: elven wizard type

(is complete divine, races of the wild allowed ? if so, then i'd like to take racial substitution lvls of elven wizard and dweomerkeeper prc)

what lvl will we start ? *g*

No one's stepped up to offer to GM yet. *points up*

(I'd said that I would co-GM - but that means that there would have to be another GM willing to co-GM.)

steelshark

First Post
I know exactly what you mean ferrix. I visit the wizards boards regularly and i see a lot of weird stuff going on in the min/max board (like pun-pun, or hulking hurlers).

The only real useful way to use such overly powerful builds is to use them as examples of what needs to be fixed / tweaked.

Oh and I didn't noticed that no one stepped up as dm yet....

*prays* please....anyone.....come on....we NEED high lvl games ;)

(at least I do...i always get stuck at like 5th to 10th lvl)

Ferrix

Explorer
steelshark said:
I know exactly what you mean ferrix. I visit the wizards boards regularly and i see a lot of weird stuff going on in the min/max board (like pun-pun, or hulking hurlers).

The only real useful way to use such overly powerful builds is to use them as examples of what needs to be fixed / tweaked.

Agreed. Pun-pun I think is my favorite but I think the rerelease of the Sarrukh fixed it. King of Smack is my second generally.

Remove ads