• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

post-game to collaboratively create a new spell: Ray of Idio-Savancy

runtime

First Post
Tonguez said:
Type: Divine

This just occurred to me: maybe instead of declaring this spell arcane or divine, we should list which classes can cast it. I assume you would like clerics to be able to cast this spell, but what about bards and druids or Sor/Wzd? We can debate the spell level for each class later, once we learn what this spell actually does.

Fieari

Explorer
Duration: Permanent

A ten minute casting time to make a ray that's only 10 feet long? On top of an expensive material focus? This better make something permanent and cool.

Jack Simth

First Post
Saving Throw: None

With a 10-minute casting time, it's probably either harmless or requires the target to be effectively helpless anyway - no real need for a saving throw.

runtime

First Post
Descriptor(s): [Mind-Affecting] (and any other descriptors?)

To make this permanent, lengthy spell with a (presumably) willing subject even more curious, let's make it mind-affecting! This emerging spell seems to be some type of big-time mental buffing spell..?? This sorta makes sense considering the jade circlet focus worn on the caster's head.

Last edited:

Fieari

Explorer
Transmutation and Mind-Effecting? *blink* Well, a transmutation ray is odd enough, I guess. But I can't actually imagine how a transmutation spell could POSSIBLY be mind effecting. The only descriptors for transmutations I've ever seen are basically elemental. How are you imagining this?

Hmm. Maybe we're seeing some sort of enthrallment spell, in which the slaves-to-be have to be put in a line? Ehhh... I don't know. I'm a little lost here.

Jack Simth

First Post
A mind-affecting Transmutation? Interesting....

Spell Resistance: No

While normally a spell that affects a target of some variety would permit SR, the 10 minute ritual and expensive focus are specifically designed to bypass the vast majority of defenses.

Jack Simth

First Post
Fieari said:
Transmutation and Mind-Effecting? *blink* Well, a transmutation ray is odd enough, I guess. But I can't actually imagine how a transmutation spell could POSSIBLY be mind effecting. The only descriptors for transmutations I've ever seen are basically elemental. How are you imagining this?

Hmm. Maybe we're seeing some sort of enthrallment spell, in which the slaves-to-be have to be put in a line? Ehhh... I don't know. I'm a little lost here.
Perhaps it's something that physically alters the target's mind.... note that Fox's Cunning and Owl's Wisdom are Transmutation (although neither has the Mind-Affecting tag)

Jack Simth

First Post
Description: This spell causes a ray whcih physically increases the number of connections the target's brain can make, which applies a +2 Compentency bonus to Int, Wis, and Charisma

Last edited:

Eloi

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Description: This spell causes a ray which physically increases the number of connections the target's brain can make, which applies a +2 Competency bonus to Int, Wis, and Charisma

I see this spell as having an Exp cost as well, from either the enhanced recipient or from the caster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads