Post Roman D&D setting with magic and Roman Gods

Anselyn

Explorer
[...] Christianity didn't make them into the people they were, they were already those people. Germans were Germans, Brits were Brits, their languages may have ended up different, but we allow for that in a role playing game.

Again, you seem woefully misinformed on fundamental historical points. The English are predominatly defined - culturally if not entirely genetically - from Germanic tribes that invaded Britain. The Brits are Germans - within your Roman definitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain

The Anglo-Saxon evidence is overlaid by effects of the Norman Conquest - but the Normans were NorthMen who had first moved down to help shape modern Fance. Thus again people from outside the Roman frontiers.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I think it is dangerous to think that WWII was some different kind of war. I don't see it as being in a league of its own. For the British, WWI certainly had profounder consequences and a greater psychic shock. For the US, the Civil War was a bloodier conflict and I suggest still has greater lingering effects on the US today.

The Civil War does not compare to World War II, the Civil War was a war between soldiers on the battlefield, it was a land war mostly and there was no air component, which means it was soldiers fighting soldiers in a two-dimensional war, the civilians were in the rear areas, and there were no airplanes which could get to them.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Again, you seem woefully misinformed on fundamental historical points. The English are predominatly defined - culturally if not entirely genetically - from Germanic tribes that invaded Britain. The Brits are Germans - within your Roman definitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain

The Anglo-Saxon evidence is overlaid by effects of the Norman Conquest - but the Normans were NorthMen who had first moved down to help shape modern Fance. Thus again people from outside the Roman frontiers.
Last time I checked, German was not English, I've met quite a few Germans and the language they spoke amongst themselves was not English.

Sadras

Legend
Last time I checked, German was not English, I've met quite a few Germans and the language they spoke amongst themselves was not English.

Well @Anselyn is referring to historical data, you're referring to Germans and the two languages as of the 21st century. I do not think it will be a fruitful discussion.

EDIT: Having said that, if you decide to set the campaign around the 1300's as per your OP, then yes enough generations would have passed I believe that would make the Germans of Germany very different from the Germans who had settled in England during the 5th-7th centuries.

Last edited:

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Well Anselyn is trying to start a historical discussion, this is a fantasy setting. I wish to draw from history without involving modern religions. Gods made up from whole cloth for the purposes of a D&D setting, just don't have the gravitas that gods imagined by the ancients have, as these were gods for real societies, not made up ones.

Last edited:

Anselyn

Explorer
The Civil War does not compare to World War II, the Civil War was a war between soldiers on the battlefield, it was a land war mostly and there was no air component, which means it was soldiers fighting soldiers in a two-dimensional war, the civilians were in the rear areas, and there were no airplanes which could get to them.

Yes, I am aware of that. I have lived in several cities bombed in The Blitz. Again a reason why WWII is similar to Vietnam and the Iraq War.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Yes, I am aware of that. I have lived in several cities bombed in The Blitz. Again a reason why WWII is similar to Vietnam and the Iraq War.
About 60 million people died in World War II. 1.3 million to 3.9 million people are estimated to have died in the Vietnam War. Between half a million to 1.5 million are estimated to have died in the Iraq War. World War II is still in a category all of its own, as about 20 times the number of people in the Vietnam War are estimated to have died. Also World War II was an unlimited war and the Vietnam War was a limited war. Also the Germans started World War II because they wanted to conquer an Empire, the United States involvement in the Vietnam War (as we did not start it) was to contain communism, different motivations.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

In my opinion, if you can summarize a war using the name of one Country then you can not compare it to any war that starts with the name World.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Maybe now we can get back to discussing this Fantasy Europe. the nations in this one are similar to the historical ones in the 1500s, the biggest difference is the Middle East. Egypt is still ruled by pharaohs, they are non-Arabic and speak Coptic, the Egyptian gods are still around with their animal heads walking the Earth. the Greek Gods also have a large following in Egypt and they are centered in Alexandria, also the library of Alexandria still stands. The Sphinx still has a nose, and their are living sphinxes as well, killing those unwary travelers that cannot solve their riddles.

Derren

Hero
Maybe now we can get back to discussing this Fantasy Europe. the nations in this one are similar to the historical ones in the 1500s, the biggest difference is the Middle East. Egypt is still ruled by pharaohs, they are non-Arabic and speak Coptic, the Egyptian gods are still around with their animal heads walking the Earth. the Greek Gods also have a large following in Egypt and they are centered in Alexandria, also the library of Alexandria still stands. The Sphinx still has a nose, and their are living sphinxes as well, killing those unwary travelers that cannot solve their riddles.

So another deviation then. The Egyptan faith died long before the arabic conquest. Egyptans were more or less Romans.
Same question which I asked in the Lux Thread. When you intend to have all nations to be how they were in the classical era, why not use a setting set during that time when it fits instead of transporting it into the future only to ignore everything that happened?

Remove ads