• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powerful build and feats...

RigaMortus2

First Post
If a character was playing a race with the Powerful Build trait (Half-Giant or Goliath for example), would they be able to take feats which have a prereq of needing to be a Large or Larger race?

Legildur

First Post
I would say no as the description of the racial trait (for Goliaths anyway) says "function in many ways as if he were one size category larger."

I read this as different to "treat as one size larger" which would qualify you for certain otherwise unavailable feats or PrCs.

The ability goes on to specifiy when to treat a Goliath as large - when subject to a size modifier for an opposed check, in situations when determining whether subject to a creature's special attack, and for wielding weapons of one size category larger.

Note that the trait does not change space occupied or reach of the creature.

That being said, a generous DM may decide otherwise.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As a general rule, I don't believe so. However, some feats (for example, in Races of Stone, from memory) have a prerequisite of Large or larger, and a note that Powerful Build will qualify.

As far as I know, a feat that lacks that note would not be available.

-Hyp.

Talic

First Post
The text for Large feats in Races of Stone(such as Fling Ally) states:
"size Large or larger(Goliaths qualify by virtue of their powerful build racial trait)"

Is that merely a special circumstance with feats listed? The way it's in parenthesis, and not a seperate alternate prerequisite, implies that the powerful build allows them to take Large+ size feats.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Talic said:
Is that merely a special circumstance with feats listed? The way it's in parenthesis, and not a seperate alternate prerequisite, implies that the powerful build allows them to take Large+ size feats.

As I noted above, as far as I can tell, it's a special quality of those feats. Powerful Build itself does not state that it can satisfy a feat prerequisite of Large or larger, so any feat that requires Large or larger, you fail to qualify for... unless it carries that note.

-Hyp.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Official 3.5 FAQ said:
Does the powerful build racial trait allow a character to
take advantage of feats for size Large or larger creatures,
such as Awesome Blow? Would a half-dragon goliath
qualify as Large for determining whether it has wings?

No and no. The powerful build racial trait (found in the
goliath entry in Races of Stone and the half-giant entry in
Expanded Psionics Handbook) spells out exactly when the
character is treated as one size larger than normal:
1) Whenever subjected to a size modifier or special size
modifier for an opposed check. This includes grapple checks,
bull rush attempts, and trip attempts.
2) When determining whether a creature’s special attacks
based on size can affect him. This includes improved grab and
swallow whole.
3) When determining what size of weapons the character
can use.
That’s it. The character isn’t treated as one size larger when
determining space, reach, Hide check penalty, or for the
purpose of qualifying for anything that requires size.
Some feats, prestige classes, or other game elements may
specifically allow a Medium character with powerful build to
qualify as if he were Large. Such examples are specific and
intentional exceptions to the normal rule.
Bah. Stupid minimum text limit.

Legildur

First Post
Hey, who'd have ever thought to look at the FAQ! Good on you Iku Rex. That answer really nailed it. I reckon Hypersmurf just copied that ;)

Remove ads