• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powerful Build + Monk

frankthedm

First Post
the_mighty_agrippa said:
Would Powerful Build increase a Monk's unarmed damage?

First glance would say no, but...
...your hoping to get more out of the feat than it gives you.

Wotc lets you take improved natural attack, be happy with that and don't be greedy.

Paraxis

Explorer
I would say yes, since it lets you use weapons one size category bigger, why not.

As far as improved natural attack and stacking goes again why not. A race with powerful build could get monkey grip and use a Huge Greatsword doing (3d8). Why not same character being a lvl 12 monk do the same damage after getting improved natural attack, the guy with great sword can do that at level 1.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I also would say yes. I don't see why unarmed attacks should be treated differently than melee weapon attacks for this situtation.

thompgc

First Post
I'd say no
It lets you use a weapon one size larger w/no penalty
Doesn't mean your unarmed attacks are one size larger

But what if you wore gauntlets?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It lets you use any Large fists you might possess... but your own fists are still Medium, and deal Medium damage. If you find an ogre, swipe his fists and use them instead.

-Hyp.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
If Enlarge Person is a fist level spell, I guess you could research Enlarge Fists as a cantrip :D

mvincent

Explorer
From the 3.5 FAQ:
"Does the powerful build racial trait change the damage
the character deals with unarmed strikes and natural
weapons?

No. The powerful build racial trait allows the character to
“use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without
penalty” but doesn’t say anything about changing the damage
dealt by his unarmed strikes or natural weapons."

glass

(he, him)
frankthedm said:
Wotc lets you take improved natural attack, be happy with that and don't be greedy.
It should be noted that many people in this forum (including myself) believe that WotC are wrong when they say that a (human) monk can take INA.

EDIT: As to the original question; IMO no, powerfull build does nothing to your unarmed damage, for reason others have already mentioned.

glass.

Remove ads