[PR] Malhavoc Partners add adventure to Arcana Unearthed

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Sue Weinlein Cook
Malhavoc Press
sue@montecook.com

MALHAVOC PARTNERS ADD ADVENTURE
TO ARCANA UNEARTHED

Monte Cook Teams up With Mystic Eye Games and
Fiery Dragon Productions for Official Tie-Ins

January 13, 2002 (Renton, Wash.)—Game designer Monte Cook follows up the announcement of his forthcoming variant player’s handbook with the news that he’s partnering with two other companies to produce official adventures based on his Arcana Unearthed: The Malhavoc Handbook.

Mystic Eye Games plans a 144-page anthology featuring a series of small adventures tied together in an epic storyline that takes characters from 1st to 5th level. Fiery Dragon Productions has in the works a 64-page adventure co-authored by Monte with James Bell and Todd Secord. Monte said he’s looking forward to seeing these products reveal more about the setting of Arcana Unearthed, in addition to applying the handbook’s rules.

“I’ve made it no secret that Fiery Dragon and Mystic Eye Games are two of my favorite d20 companies,” Monte said. “I’ve worked with both of them professionally in the past and I can’t wait to do so again. They’re great guys.”

“We enjoy Monte’s work so much that when an opportunity like this came up we just had to jump in with both feet,” said Doug Herring and Hal Greenberg of Mystic Eye Games. “This partnership will let us take our unique and exciting ideas and send them in an entirely new direction with Monte at the helm. We will be working very closely with him to ensure that the anthology has the feel and accuracy to be placed appropriately in The Diamond Throne setting or played by itself.”

Fiery Dragon’s Director of Marketing James Bell said he aims to create the foundation for a campaign with his adventure. “Much as NeMoren's Vault has been the introductory 3rd Edition adventure for lots of gaming groups out there, we want to fill the same niche in Malhavoc’s Arcana Unearthed setting,” he said. “We’re pushing to include all the hallmarks of Monte's amazing new handbook in the adventure, highlighting some of the great elements that make it unique.”

The adventures will accompany the release of Monte Cook’s Arcana Unearthed: The Malhavoc Handbook in August, but advance copies of all three books will be available at the Gen Con game fair in late July. On the heels of this launch, Malhavoc Press offers a 32-page Arcana Unearthed DM’s Screen and Player’s Guide, as well as a 96-page supporting sourcebook, The Diamond Throne, which focuses on the handbook’s setting and some of its unique denizens. In addition, Mystic Eye Games hopes to have one more tie-in adventure in stores before the end of the year, and Fiery Dragon is working on Counter Collection IV, an accessory containing full-color cardstock counters for use with Arcana Unearthed and its tie-in products.

Monte Cook’s Arcana Unearthed: The Malhavoc Handbook offers a collection of new classes, feats, spells, equipment, variant rules, and optional systems that you can integrate into your d20 roleplaying games or use as a stand-alone open-gaming system. This 240-page hardcover is suitable for characters of all levels and any fantasy campaign. It will be available only in a print edition from Malhavoc Press’ publisher, Sword & Sorcery™.

“From the very beginning, we've been thrilled to have Monte as part of the Sword & Sorcery stable,” said Sword & Sorcery Studios Managing Editor Andrew Bates. “Malhavoc books are guaranteed to include great new ideas for gaming — plus they’re a great read. Arcana Unearthed should take that to the next level. We're pretty excited to be helping Monte bring this to the fans. And to have folks like Fiery Dragon and Mystic Eye Games publishing adventure tie-ins? That's icing on the cake.”

Read about the book’s development in Monte’s ongoing Design Diary at the Malhavoc Press website.

Mystic Eye Games is a premiere d20 publisher of such fan-favorite, award-nominated settings as The Hunt: Rise of Evil and Bluffside: City on the Edge. In addition, Mystic Eye Games has produced other popular d20 lines such as Foul Locales (Urban Blight, Beyond the Walls), Arcane Mysteries (Blight Magic, Wild Spellcraft, Necromancer’s Legacy), licensed Dragonstar adventures (Raw Recruits, Heart of the Machine), and the non-d20 smash hit product Giant Monster Rampage. Find out more about Mystic Eye Games at their website.

Fiery Dragon Productions debuted with NeMoren’s Vault in November 2000. Since then they have released seven additional fantasy adventures (including Queen of Lies by Monte Cook and the ENnie-nominated Of Sound Mind by Kevin Kulp), a rules supplement (Psionics Toolkit by Mike Mearls), three Counter Collections, and three smaller Counter Packs. Featuring the distinctive art of popular Brazilian illustrator Claudio Pozas, Fiery Dragon products are known for their imagination and coherence, and are written for people who like to have fun! For more information on current and upcoming FDP projects, visit their website.

Monte Cook, co-creator of the new edition of Dungeons & Dragons (the basis of the d20 System of roleplaying), also penned the Dungeon Master's Guide and many other books for TSR/Wizards of the Coast. He launched Malhavoc Press in May 2001 with the publication of the bestselling Book of Eldritch Might, which won three EN World d20 System Awards for excellence. Hallmarks of Malhavoc Press and Monte's game design include unusual magic, monsters, and evocative game elements that go beyond traditional fantasy, as well as a mastery of the d20 System rules that only one of the game's original designers can offer. Current Malhavoc Press titles are available in electronic format at <www.montecook.com>, along with free samples of Monte’s recent game design.

A division of White Wolf Publishing, Sword & Sorcery (www.swordsorcery.com) is an affiliation of design studios producing roleplaying products fully compatible with the open-gaming d20 System. The studios include: Sword & Sorcery Studios, Malhavoc Press, Scarred Lands, Necromancer Games, Ravenloft, Gamma World, and EverQuest RPG.

###

©2003 Monte J. Cook. Dungeons & Dragons, Dungeon Master, and Wizards of the Coast, are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast Inc. Sword & Sorcery is a trademark of White Wolf Publishing. Dragonstar is a trademark of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Malhavoc and Eldritch Might are trademarks of Monte J. Cook. All rights reserved.

thundershot

Adventurer
*empties his drool bucket*

Wow.... If there was any doubt whatsoever that I was getting this book, it's gone now that I've seen that it's going to be supported. Hopefully more than just two books.

(I'm a little upset that after all this time, we've heard nothing about any new Dragonstar adventures from Mystic Eye Games. I've got Raw Recruits and ordered Heart of the Machine. I need more!)

Also, Monte, how much of this book will be rules material compared to setting material?

Thanks
Chris

Napftor

Explorer
thundershot said:
...(I'm a little upset that after all this time, we've heard nothing about any new Dragonstar adventures from Mystic Eye Games. I've got Raw Recruits and ordered Heart of the Machine. I need more!)...

Chris,

There are indeed more DS adventures on the way. The follow-up to Raw Recruits is being penned as I type this. Good things take time, so please bear with us! :)

thundershot

Adventurer
Napftor said:

Chris,

There are indeed more DS adventures on the way. The follow-up to Raw Recruits is being penned as I type this. Good things take time, so please bear with us! :)

A sequel?! Excellent!

And I'm not mad, by any means. Just concerned, considering how long the first two adventures took to come out after announcement. I hope it won't be the case this time. I simply don't have time to write my own adventures, so once it's depleted, I have to shift focus to a different group of characters.

Thanks!
Chris

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread, Monte!!

Mystic Eye

First Post
thundershot said:

A sequel?! Excellent!

And I'm not mad, by any means. Just concerned, considering how long the first two adventures took to come out after announcement. I hope it won't be the case this time. I simply don't have time to write my own adventures, so once it's depleted, I have to shift focus to a different group of characters.

Thanks!
Chris

PS Sorry for hijacking your thread, Monte!!

We will be releasing the first book to go along with Arcana Unearthed at Gen Con when the main book is released. Our goals for our licensed material is one per quarter. We feel good we can maintain that level of production.

Thanks for the support Chris!

MEG Hal

First Post
We are thrilled at this opportunity, I enjoy Monte and Sue so much when I saw this chance I said we had to do it I mean now we have a reason to do breakfast in Vegas not just doing it cause we want to :D . We have writers with pens in hand and waiting for King Monte to start releasing the hounds.....

As for Dragonstar stuff we do have Veterans being worked on now in fact cover is also being ordered and Heart of the Machine is the first of a trilogy (we hope) so all of our licenses (including our own) will be getting very special treatment in 2003!

Last edited:

FDP Mike

First Post
Nightfall said:
Nice! :) Mystic Eye AND FDP! Now THAT'S cool!!! :D

Darn tootin'! :D

See, I told you the announcement would be a good one.

FDP is most definitely very excited to work again with Monte, only I guess this time the coin is flipped -- we'll be writing for him. :) We're all really eager to see the Arcana Unearthed material, and I know that James and Todd can't wait to get writing the adventure with Monte.

I think Gen Con will be pretty exciting this year, to say the least. FDP will have some other new releases available as well (which James may discuss soon . . . but suffice to say, we're back doing adventures, baby!), though the highlight, I'm sure, will be our involvement with Monte and the release of AU.

Ah, an editor's work is never done, apparently . . . . ;)

Take care,
Mike

MEG Hal

First Post
FDP Mike said:

Darn tootin'! :D
See, I told you the announcement would be a good one.
Take care,
Mike

We will also be active with FDP so we make items that stay "canon" and do not have any clashing issues as well as getting a Hal in the UA counter collection :D :p .

James and I are keeping the line of communication open so we compliment each others products, we are real happy to be associated with FDP also.

Remove ads