PrC - Holy Voice (approved)

Wik

First Post
Okay. Take two. I looked over this today, and thought "what was I thinking?". In my defence, it had been a long day at work.

The prime goals for this prestige class are:

1) To allow a paladin to fill a support role effectively.
2) To broaden the abilities of the paladin a little bit.
3) To give Galwynn a prestige class to shoot for... although the Annointed Hunter looks pretty cool, too.
4) To give a paladin something to use his Turn Undead uses on (this is a big change I made to the PrC)

HOLY GUARDIAN

Holy Guardians are paladins and, less often, clerics dedicated to one of the good deities of the land. Typically following gods such as Hyrag, Azwan, or Halina, they are exemplars of their deities virtues.
Holy Guardians radiate an aura of the divine about them, which they can use to aid their companions in the pursuit of their deity's goals on the material plane.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful Good
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feat: Extra Turning
Special: Lay on Hands

Class Skills
The Holy Guardian's Class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Ride, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier

Code:
Table:  Holy Guardian
Level    BAB    Fort    Ref    Will    Special
1         +1     +2       +0     +0     Paladin Spells, Lay On Hands, Fearless Aura
2         +2     +3       +0     +0     Extra Domain
3         +3     +3       +1     +1     Morale Aura
4         +4     +4       +1     +1     Holy Smite
5         +5     +4       +1     +1     Aura

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: If the character is not already proficient, he receives proficiency in his deity's favoured weapon.
Spells: The character gains spells as a paladin. Paladin levels and Holy Guardian levels stack when determing caster level, spells learned each level, etc.
Lay on HandsHoly Guardian levels stack with paladins when determining the amount of hit points healed by the lay on hands ability.
Extra Domain: At 2nd level, the Holy Guardian can select one domain granted by his deity. He gains one additional spell slot for each spell level he has access to; this spell must be taken from this extra domain. Thus, a 5th level Paladin/2nd Level Holy Guardian with the Healing Domain could cast Cure Light Wounds as a bonus Domain spell.
In addition, the character gains the listed Domain ability.
If the character already has domain spells (such as if he were a cleric), this bonus stacks with the Cleric's existing domains.
Fearless Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a standard action, the Holy Guardian projects an aura that calms his allies. For a number of rounds equal to his Holy Guardian level plus his charisma modifier, all allies that remain within 20 feet of the Holy Guardian are immune to all fear effects.
Morale Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a standard action, the Holy Guardian projects an aura that envigors his allies. All allies that remain within 30 feet of the Holy Guardian receive a +1 morale bonus on melee attack rolls and damage rolls. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the character's Holy Guardian level plus his charisma modifier.
Holy Smite: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts, the Holy Guardian can make a single Smite attack. He spends the Turn undead attempt as part of making a standard attack. The attack has a +4 bonus to hit, and deals extra damage equal to the Holy Guardian's class level.
Healing Aura: At 5th level, the Holy Guardian is able to heal nearby allies. By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts as a free action, the Holy Guardian can use his Lay on Hands ability on any ally within 20 feet of him. He can use as much of his lay on hands ability as he likes; he can even split the healing among multiple targets, provided both targets are allies of the Holy Guardian and within 20 feet.

Note: A character that takes levels in Holy Guardian is still able to take levels in the Paladin character class.

Alright. So, with this new version, I think it's a bit more balanced.

While there's still the "Spend turn undead to power auras" gimmick (I like it too much), there's definately a power tradeoff - Turn undead no longer improves with the class. Plus, with extra turning as a feat requirement, the character loses one of his precious feats (and Paladins suffer from lack of feats more than any other class, in my opinion).

While the character gains a few limited abilities (the auras are alright, but I can't see any of 'em being game-breaking) and an expanded spell selection, he loses out on:

Special Mount (not a big deal)
Remove Disease (again, not a big deal)
d10 hit die
Turn Undead
Smite Evil (he does get a smite attack, but it's a lot weaker)

Anyways, I think it may be a bit weak, now. Some things I was thinking of adding:

1) Extra damage (+1d6, +2d6?) on Holy Smite attacks against evil creatures.
2) The ability to use Turn Undead attempts to power metamagic effects on spells.
3) The ability to add a few cleric spells to the paladin's spell list.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Solange said:
Why do you hate Paladins of Freedom? :p

There are 3 types of paladins, 2 of which can't take this class.

Because those paladins are HIPPIES.

Sorry. It needed to be said. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Morale Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a standard action, the Holy Guardian projects an aura that envigors his allies. All allies that remain within 30 feet of the Holy Guardian receive a morale bonus on melee attack rolls and damage rolls equal to the character's wisdom modifier. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the character's Holy Guardian level plus his charisma modifier.

Remember what I said above about making Bards pointless? This ability is absolutely rampantly berserk for a Paladin who boosts Wisdom. Now, I admit, leveling up to level 8 with a 16 or 18 Wisdom Paladin is a bit trickier than normal (though if Almayce could get to level 6 alive with 6 Con, anyone can reach level 6), but once you hit this ability, you start choking the life out of the game. With a +2 Wis item (easily affordable by 8--in fact, you could certainly have a +4) or perhaps a +4, you are somewhere between 18 and 22 Wisdom. That's up to a +6 to everyone's hit and damage. That's an utterly insane bonus. For non-two-handed fighters, that's like giving +12 to Strength.

Wik

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Remember what I said above about making Bards pointless? This ability is absolutely rampantly berserk for a Paladin who boosts Wisdom. Now, I admit, leveling up to level 8 with a 16 or 18 Wisdom Paladin is a bit trickier than normal (though if Almayce could get to level 6 alive with 6 Con, anyone can reach level 6), but once you hit this ability, you start choking the life out of the game. With a +2 Wis item (easily affordable by 8--in fact, you could certainly have a +4) or perhaps a +4, you are somewhere between 18 and 22 Wisdom. That's up to a +6 to everyone's hit and damage. That's an utterly insane bonus. For non-two-handed fighters, that's like giving +12 to Strength.

Good point. Making the change.

orsal

LEW Judge
Solange said:
Why do you hate Paladins of Freedom? :p

There are 3 types of paladins, 2 of which can't take this class.

Evidently someone hates barbarians too -- they can't take this class either.

Seriously, this is a class designed for paladins of honour. You want a PrC suitable for paladins of freedom? Design one.

Bront

The man with the probe
orsal said:
Evidently someone hates barbarians too -- they can't take this class either.

Seriously, this is a class designed for paladins of honour. You want a PrC suitable for paladins of freedom? Design one.
I think it's friendly sniping spilling over from another thread ;)

That said, I don't see anything as written other than the Alignment req that says that. Not saying it's not true, but that's all there is.

But besides that:

Fearless Aura: Does this cancel current fear effects? Or just make them immune to further ones? It's an important differentiation.

Morale Aura: It trounces on the Bard a little bit, but any bard that high a level will be better than that anyway, and if he's not there, it saves the paladin from casting Bless by using a turn ability (though not quite that good). Doesn't seem too bad.

Holy Smite: Seems kind of redundant with Smite Evil. Maybe needs a bit of a rename? Does it stack with Smite Evil?

Healing Aura: Cool. I like this better, as it draws from Lay Hands. I think we can word it a bit better. And why is it only allies? Can't it be any willing subject?

Otherwise, looks about right. I like how it works. Concentration at rank 5 is good for the spellcasting paladin.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I think it's friendly sniping spilling over from another thread ;)

That said, I don't see anything as written other than the Alignment req that says that. Not saying it's not true, but that's all there is.

But besides that:

Fearless Aura: Does this cancel current fear effects? Or just make them immune to further ones? It's an important differentiation.

Morale Aura: It trounces on the Bard a little bit, but any bard that high a level will be better than that anyway, and if he's not there, it saves the paladin from casting Bless by using a turn ability (though not quite that good). Doesn't seem too bad.

Holy Smite: Seems kind of redundant with Smite Evil. Maybe needs a bit of a rename? Does it stack with Smite Evil?

Healing Aura: Cool. I like this better, as it draws from Lay Hands. I think we can word it a bit better. And why is it only allies? Can't it be any willing subject?

Otherwise, looks about right. I like how it works. Concentration at rank 5 is good for the spellcasting paladin.
Oh, that's because he fixed Morale Aura. It used to give the Paladin's Wisdom bonus to hit and damage!

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, that's because he fixed Morale Aura. It used to give the Paladin's Wisdom bonus to hit and damage!
I saw that comment. Glad he did. +1 to hit and damage is ok, usefull enough, and no one will scream "Unbalanced" when you get it at 8th level.

Remove ads