• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PrC - Holy Voice (approved)

Wik

First Post
Yeah. But it'd be easier to just write up a new PrC based on 'em, and since I have no desire to play an Unholy Voice (or fight one), I'm not going to write it up. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Solnath said:
So Unholy Voices will have the wounding lay on hands, instead of the 4-6 times more useful healing version?
That's what Paladins of Tyrany have. That, and cause disease.

Trouvere

Explorer
Wik said:
Extra Domain: At 2nd level, the Holy Voice can select one domain granted by his deity. He gains one additional spell slot for each spell level he has access to; this spell must be taken from this extra domain. Thus, a 5th level Paladin/2nd Level Holy Voice with the Healing Domain could cast Cure Light Wounds as a bonus Domain spell.
In addition, the character gains the listed Domain ability.
If the character already has domain spells (such as if he were a cleric), this bonus stacks with the Cleric's existing domains.

Do you intend a Cleric 3 / Paladin 2 / Holy Voice 2 / Cleric 13, for example, to gain an additional 1st through 8th cleric spell slot for their bonus domain (casting as a Cleric 16 and Paladin 4, so also a bonus 1st level paladin spell)? That seems a much bigger gain than a Paladin 5 / Holy Voice 5 / Paladin 10 would get (a mere 4 spells of 1st to 4th).

Actually, now that I re-read it, it needs some rewording, because I'm not sure what is meant. It could be taken to mean that at the time of taking Holy Voice 2, the character gains a bonus slot for those levels he can already cast, as a one off bonus. That would encourage a character to take Holy Voice 2 as late as possible, to maximise the number of bonus slots.

So, to clarify: what does a Paladin 5 / Holy Voice 2 / Paladin 3 have by way of bonus spell slots, and is it the same as a Paladin 8 / Holy Voice 2, levels taken in those specific orders?

And just to mix it up, how many bonus spell slots does a Cleric 3 / Paladin 2 / Holy Voice 2 get? 2 cleric and 1 paladin? 1 paladin? 2 cleric? How about a Cleric 16 / Paladin 2 / Holy Voice 2? Bonus 1st through 8th? What about my above-mentioned Cleric 3 / Paladin 2 / Holy Voice 2 / Cleric 13? The same, or a mere bonus 1st and 2nd?

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
As written, I'd take it to mean paladin only for the domain. Spellcasting is as a paladin as well.

Of course, on the oddness, you can go Paladin 3/Ranger 3/Anointed Hunter 9/Holy Voice 5. If you want to be realy loopy, you could throw some brightstriker in there too.

Trouvere

Explorer
It doesn't exactly say that yet, though. It is clear that Holy Voice only advances paladin casting, but not where bonus domain slots can be applied.

Bront

The man with the probe
Trouvere said:
It doesn't exactly say that yet, though. It is clear that Holy Voice only advances paladin casting, but not where bonus domain slots can be applied.
It's implied to apply to the spell casting of the class.

Wouldn't hurt to add the line "This domain is for paladin spell casting only".

Trouvere

Explorer
Bront said:
It's implied to apply to the spell casting of the class.

Wouldn't hurt to add the line "This domain is for paladin spell casting only".

"He gains one additional spell slot for each [Paladin] spell level he has access to."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I like the flavor of the class and the balance is fine, but I'm still hoping for some history or some such thing. That's just me, though, and sometimes a PrC just doesn't need an extensive history. I vote YES with the suggestion that somebody come up with some more Enworldian ties. (Oh, and I like Trouvere's clarification clause on the domain spells.)

Remove ads