• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Precise Sneak Attacks into a Grapple

Quidam

First Post
Saw this issue come up in another thread which inspired me to devise a new house rule. As it stands, a grappled opponent loses his Dex bonus to AC, thus rendering him succeptible to sneak attacks. Thing is, if a sneak attacker fires into the grapple, they've got an equal chance of hitting a friendly grappler. This doesn't seem to fit with the fact that a sneak attack is based on the ability to hit in a vital spot. Hitting a friend's vital spot accidentally? Doesn't seem to make sense.

So, IMC, I'm changing Precise Shot in the following way: Precise shot now negates the % chance of hitting the wrong target when firing into a grapple if the attacker has the sneak attack ability.

Seems limited enough not to be overpowered, and seems to make sense. What do you think?

SylverFlame

First Post
An attacker making a non-ranged attack on a grappled char doesn't need this feat. Also, if you apply the feat to sneak attacks only, I find it does lop side the feat. You can easily "accidently" hit a vital spot. Look at carpenters. My grandfather has been a carpenter for nearly 50 years (maybe more). He can still hit his thumb with a hammer. Accidents happen. I don't see why not leave it, or just allow a char to "Fudge" their sneak attack at their own option.

Vanguard

First Post
"Accidentally" hitting a vital spot is called a Critical.

I would simply disallow ranged sneak-attacks against grappling characters unless there is a pin involved.

Perhaps then a modified precise shot (or a new feat altogether) could then allow ranged sneak attacks against non-pinned opponents. If the attack hits the correct opponent, sneak attack damage is applied. If it hits the other combatant (they roll over at just the wrong moment, etc) then only regular damage is applied.

Remove ads