• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Preferred way to build your characters:

What is your (PREFERRED) way to build your characters

• Motivation/High Concept: (e.g. I want to play someone seeking redemption and revenge!)

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Background First: (e.g. I shall play a Prince of a disgraced house!)

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Race/Visual First: (e.g. I want to play a young, aloof elf!)

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Class First: (e.g. I want to play a Fighter!)

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Stats First: (e.g. I want to play with high DEX & INT)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Mechanics First: (e.g. I want to dual wield Short Swords)

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • It’s always a Gnome Paladin with dual Rapiers!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Mix (because the fence is comfortable)

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • Other – Please use the comments

Votes: 9 8.4%

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I built characters using more or less all these methods.

But my favorite and most memorable characters were designed around an abstract concept first, such as basing them off a song.

Wulffolk

Explorer
For me it boils down to either an inspiration or a challenge.

I either begin with an inspired concept in mind (and use point buy), find my inspiration based upon discussions at a Session Zero (point buy or rolling), or take up the challenge of making the most of the opportunity I have been given (rolling for stats).

I prefer to create a character organically. I start with Race and Gender, then a vague background idea. This usually comes from a Session Zero discussion with the rest of the group. I then roll stats to see what the character's aptitudes might be. I refine the Background. Then I choose a Class and Skills (and possibly Feat). Afterwards I flesh out some detail and write in some major life events, hopefully finding ways to tie in to other characters to establish a pre-existing relationship.

I hate the cliche of a half-dozen completely random "adventurers" meeting in a tavern and just deciding that it is a good idea to go dungeon-crawling together.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Because 5e did away with stat PENALTIES, and because AdvLeag uses the standard array (15,14,13,12,10,8), and stats hard cap at 20, it's been my observation that ALL class, race, background combos are viable.

So, what I like to do is make a randomizer chart. All my race options, all my class options, all the background options, listed out and numbered.

Then I roll like three or four times on each list, and create some idea stubs.

For example, getting ready for a con in November, I decided to roll up three characters using the Volo races.
I rolled Tabaxi-Soldier-Warlock, Lizardman-Criminal-Cleric, and Firbolg-Acolyte-Fighter.

The Lizardman tickled my fancy, so I built him out and created a backstory.

I usually habe some concept in mind. But in the end, I first roll stats and look what can be done with them. So I voted stats first even if it is not 100% true.

DwynnsPlace

First Post
I would have clicked mix however, I feel I must deliberate my selection of other. I like to make a character of special unique qualities, characteristics and Development so,
I usually develop a back story to explain history, skills, feats and proficiencies first.
This would also allow me to select race and class or subclass/es, motivations,
advantages, disadvantages, monsterous or not and at this point I assign equiptment
for previous sellected info and then I go to stats.

Stats must fit the class and race limitations / requirments.
Here I consult the DM and discuss what drives this character, why I want to play it and the benefit it would be for a party.
We work out any changes or suggestions from the DM and we all have fun!

Shiroiken

Legend
Normally my order is: class, concept, background, race, mechanics, attributes. Everything is subject to change, even class, because an idea may morph over the creation process (for example, a fighter idea I was working on turned into an Oath of the Crown Paladin).

Yaarel

He Mage
I voted for starting with class.

But really it is a mix. I have a specific kind of character in mind − general sense of capabilities, interests, appearance, personality, and challenges to over come − then think about how to best translate this into D&D, starting with class as that is the most far reaching decision point.

For example, say, Superboy is the archetype for a D&D character. An intelligent, athletic, telekinete, having a unique birth (being a genetically altered clone splicing Superman and Lex Luthor) and raised in a laboratory, and kinda brooding. Start with which class might best represent him − Psion? Gishy Wizard that can grapple? Eldrich Knight? Cleric with some kind of Telekinesis or Force domain? Sorcerer?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Usually I go in with a race-class combination sort-of in mind e.g. Elf Fighter or Hobbit Cleric or Human Wizard or whatever, and then see whether the dice give me anything useful to work with.

Later in a long campaign, which is where I am now in the game I play in, my ideas are also often heavily influenced by the question "what haven't we seen yet?". So, if I roll up another character in that game (very unlikely, as I already have far more running around in that world than I can play) it'll be a Hobbit something - probably Thief, as we've had almost no Hobbits in that game and I haven't played a Thief in ages.

Lan-"Human Fighter"-efan

Remove ads