D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Balfore

Explorer
Session #54 - The Water Node, Part 2

https://app.box.com/s/3nj9km9g0s3jctd1nxieww576531578g

So, are many people still following this thread? I'm just curious. Myself and my players are still really liking it.
I have a boatload of paper minis that I made for this campaign.
I could share them with you if you want.
I spent hours/days/weeks making them. (Surfing the web for just the right pictures for alot of the NPCs.
I'm OCD about thongs needing to be accurate.
There's nothing more satisfying than when you slap a mini down on the table...and the group says,"what the heck is that thing" or " who the #377 is that MFer".
Their reaction to the Aboleth was priceless.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm still here. Happily lurking. I don't have a lot to contribute now that we have finished PoTA. It was very enjoyable, especially at the end where it went off in unexpected directions.

Still enjoying seeing other people's experiences with it though.

We are now playing Numenera and finding it a great change.

My party has cleared out the Earth, Air, and Water temples and Nodes. Their first foray into the Fire temple several levels back nearly led to disaster, so they worked to gain a few more levels before they went in there.

They've defeated 3 of the four prophets, but have yet to meet Vanifer, who has already summoned Imix (the party knows this, too. They also know that they need to get the weapon from Vanifer, but don't know how just yet). They are almost 11th level at the moment and still need to finish the Fire temple (they didn't do many of the side quests, and I feel they are a bit underpowered, so I'm probably going to throw something at them to get them up to 12/13).

Last session, they fought the Efreet in the Fire Temple Forge. In the middle of fighting the Fire Temple forces, Lyzzie, and the Efreet, the Efreet decides to cast an illusion of Imix in the middle of the party. Understandably, the Rogue, Cleric and Wizard freaked, but the Paladin decided to attack the illusion, discovering it wasn't real (and I would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for that meddlesome Paladin).

The party succeeded in defeating the group (this was their 3rd encounter with Lyzzie, who kept going invisible and escaping), and now they are looking to finish clearing out the rest of the temple before heading to the node.

Kyvin

Explorer
My group now consists of a dragonborn paladin, Firbolg life cleric, human sorcerer/warlock, high elf bladesinger wizard, and aarakocra revised ranger.

They just hit level 9. They have defeated two of the prophets so far. They've cleared all of the temples except the Earth Temple and have cleared part of the fane of the eye. They just finished meeting with the shadow dragon at Rundreth Manor and now have an understanding of how to use the elemental weapons to close the portals.

Nebulous

Legend
We messed up the polymorph spell pretty badly. The players had planned this tactic by email before the session, so springing the silver dragon was a preconceived plan that had 4 player's input. Four EXPERIENCED players. I thought it odd that a full sized dragon could just come in and lay waste, but I was too busy strategizing the monsters. Days later I look at the spell, and it clearly says Beast...not a Dragon type. This is one of the only times I can ever recall having to pretty much hand wave a fight and basically start over.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'd put it down to something going wrong with the casting of the spell but with a good outcome. You might spend a lifetime trying to recreate that error, but with no success.

Harzel

Adventurer
I'd put it down to something going wrong with the casting of the spell but with a good outcome. You might spend a lifetime trying to recreate that error, but with no success.

Indeed, perhaps Rothgar really did turn into a silver dragon, but the effect was unstable. After a time, he felt himself start to 'flicker' in and out of dragon form. He returned to the party just in time as he popped back completely and finally into Rothgar form. It's definitely not an experiment to be repeated; there's no telling what kind of weirdness might result.

Remove ads