D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
They're about to enter the Howling Hatred at 5th level - only three of them though. But they'll have 3 NPC birdmen to help. Even then I might have to make it a little easier as they are missing some punch. The book suggests 6th level, and they could probably handle it if they were at full numbers, but with only three guys and some bird guys...I dunno. Very iffy.

Don't do it! Seriously - if you make this part easier, they'll probably end up heading down to the fane of the eye (or whatever it is called) way earlier than they should - or heading straight to the water temple through the link.

This module is so interlinked and so easy to move into challenging areas that if you make any part easier, you'll end up having to do it again and again until you finish the entire plot at level 10, or have them with no chance to escape a TPK.

Better to send them into an area where they are slightly overmatched so that they can get out with minimum casualties, then regroup and replan. You never know, with only one level difference they may do fine anyway. That said, I would play up the roleplaying opportunities and try and reduce the number of fights they are likely to get in, and I would play up the things that would hopefully help them realise that they are in trouble, before they get into a fight.

I say this, it didn't work in my game. Ouch.

All just my opinion of course.

Nebulous

Legend
Don't do it! Seriously - if you make this part easier, they'll probably end up heading down to the fane of the eye (or whatever it is called) way earlier than they should - or heading straight to the water temple through the link.

This module is so interlinked and so easy to move into challenging areas that if you make any part easier, you'll end up having to do it again and again until you finish the entire plot at level 10, or have them with no chance to escape a TPK.

Funny you mention that. I kind of DID want to cut this campaign shorter and restart again with the Underdark Demon thing. One of my ideas was to introduce ways to have factions fight each other so the PCs don't have to. Another option was to add higher level FR NPC's to swoop in and take out the worst of the worst of the worst. :)

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Funny you mention that. I kind of DID want to cut this campaign shorter and restart again with the Underdark Demon thing. One of my ideas was to introduce ways to have factions fight each other so the PCs don't have to. Another option was to add higher level FR NPC's to swoop in and take out the worst of the worst of the worst. :)

Yes, I'm scared to buy the next book as it might make me want to run it. I MUST STICK WITH THE CURRENT STORYLINE!

I know I'll end up buying it though. I'm weak-willed and wealthy - a very bad mix.

Nebulous

Legend

Better to send them into an area where they are slightly overmatched so that they can get out with minimum casualties, then regroup and replan. You never know, with only one level difference they may do fine anyway. That said, I would play up the roleplaying opportunities and try and reduce the number of fights they are likely to get in, and I would play up the things that would hopefully help them realise that they are in trouble, before they get into a fight.

I say this, it didn't work in my game. Ouch.

All just my opinion of course.

This is what i usually do, actually, send them into an area where they are slightly over-matched and see what happens. I do not calculate CR or XP, I haven't since early 3e. Not my style. I just eyeball it and adjust on the fly. It works perfectly well for our games, we like it.

Nebulous

Legend
Yes, I'm scared to buy the next book as it might make me want to run it. I MUST STICK WITH THE CURRENT STORYLINE!

I know I'll end up buying it though. I'm weak-willed and wealthy - a very bad mix.

LOL. I know. They're pumping out what sounds like an even BETTER storyline, i don't want to miss out on it. I'm a sucker for Underdark stuff.

Nebulous

Legend
LOL. I know. They're pumping out what sounds like an even BETTER storyline, i don't want to miss out on it. I'm a sucker for Underdark stuff.

Despite what the books say though, my campaigns always deviate very personal ways, so it's not quite what the books dictate. But man I LOVE the structure and skeleton a premade adventure gives, especially one like Princes and Lost Mine that are so open ended.

Nebulous

Legend
And I've said this before and I'll say it again, Lost Mine of Phandelver is a classic adventure up there with some of the better ones from D&D history.

phantomK9

Explorer
Another great recap as always.
I've been meaning to ask for a while now, Where do you get your character portraits for the NPCs?
Do you have a list of them already stored or do you have an online resource that you use?
I've started my LMoP campaign and I'd love to put some faces to the NPCs so the players have an easier time keeping them strait.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Another great recap as always.
I've been meaning to ask for a while now, Where do you get your character portraits for the NPCs?
Do you have a list of them already stored or do you have an online resource that you use?
I've started my LMoP campaign and I'd love to put some faces to the NPCs so the players have an easier time keeping them strait.

You weren't asking me, but I'll answer anyway. I use Pinterest - there are heaps of people who have set up character portrait boards. Here's a simple search using "NPC" and "Portrait": https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=npc portrait , but I usually have a specific need so will be typing "Halfling" and "Ranger" or "Orc" and "Female", or whatever.

If that doesn't work a google image search usually does.

Remove ads