D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
We've had players out of town a lot, hence the two week delays. Including the next two weeks. Sigh.

Session #8 - Escape from Feathergale Spire

https://app.box.com/s/tg56w47cgb8cv2troxnev2f0jqwz04tt

I was within seconds of whipping out that elemental storm monster I posed above, but I held off. I can find a better time. They had enough on their plate to worry about without some demon storm thing.

That, sir, sounded like one of the most fun game sessions ever. That was AWESOME.

Nebulous

Legend
Another Idea is that it is the true form of Yan-C-bin. As his form as an old man is noted to be an alternate of his true form as a storm.

Or if you want to go far out you could say it's the Elder Elemental God.

I might have to go with Elder Elemental God, as it embodies air, fire, earth and water all at once. Exactly how and when to introduce it is trickier, as that sounds more like an "end game" scenario if all the other evils manage to manifest also. Which means the Realms are screwed :)

I might have to go with Elder Elemental God, as it embodies air, fire, earth and water all at once. Exactly how and when to introduce it is trickier, as that sounds more like an "end game" scenario if all the other evils manage to manifest also. Which means the Realms are screwed :)

You could make it appear as a vision. Like maybe when they get their hands on one of the prophets weapons it pops into their head.

Nebulous

Legend
You could make it appear as a vision. Like maybe when they get their hands on one of the prophets weapons it pops into their head.

Fantastic idea. A premonition of the destruction to come. Thanks. OR...some dream vision where they think it is real, but hah ha, you're not dead, it was just a horrible portent of things to come....

Nebulous

Legend
That, sir, sounded like one of the most fun game sessions ever. That was AWESOME.

Playing Person to Person has the advantage over Computer simulation (so far, until virtual reality is perfected in the near future) of human contact and facial expression and moving the minis over the table and drawing stuff in pen immediately on dry erase board, and having 3D physical minis right there to represent things. Making the cool maps is HARD. I usually borrow the expertise of others, but still, printing them is expensive and time consuming.

If WotC made maps as cool as they did collective miniatures, i'd be happy.

Nebulous

Legend
Note that there are two whole levels, no 3 (two are unofficial, the last is a blowup of the Princes map) that the PCs have hardly explored. If they get their way, here in the next session of Feathergale, they get to plunge into the depths of the Knight's personal belongings and the Howling Hatred's sacred rites and i have no idea what that entails but the MAP ITSELF draws out the story... A good map itself becomes an encounter generator. And like many games, that takes a DM to take an idea on the fly and run with it.

Last edited:

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Playing Person to Person has the advantage over Computer simulation (so far, until virtual reality is perfected in the near future) of human contact and facial expression and moving the minis over the table and drawing stuff in pen immediately on dry erase board, and having 3D physical minis right there to represent things. Making the cool maps is HARD. I usually borrow the expertise of others, but still, printing them is expensive and time consuming.

If WotC made maps as cool as they did collective miniatures, i'd be happy.

I agree, although even when playing face to face, we use Roll20 on the big TV and hand the mouse around to move tokens. What you have is better, but there's no way I could find the time to do it. We don't get to play face to face much any more as we are scattered across the country, but next week most of us are getting together (with one still playing remotely).

It's a good time to play face to face as well. After a wee break in playing my game we continued last night in the Temple of Howling Hatred. It ended with one PC and NPC dead, one PC captured and the rest fleeing for their lives, being chased down the sighing valley through the snow by cultists. I'll do a writeup when I get a chance.

Nebulous

Legend
The first time a devastation orb is used have the pcs witness it from afar and us this image to show what it looks like...

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm going to do. The picture even has a little town about to be destroyed by the elemental....

Nebulous

Legend
Hey, so how big is Beliard? I was thinking of doing up a map for it like Red Larch. For that matter, does anyone have a good map they've already used for Beliard they want to share?

Remove ads